Bayfield/Apostles

Started by bigG, May 20, 2019, 03:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Heading up there for a few days at the end of June. Any recommendations. I'm staying right across from the ferry launch. Was thinking a boat tour and touring Madeline; but this is my first time up there. Hep em out!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TomM

Not an expert, but I've visited there a few times. I'm certain others have more in depth advice than I do.
Here is my info, for what it's worth...
Visit Madeline Island and perhaps others. I camped on Stockton Island for a few days. Taking the ferry is fun with your car.
Get up early and walk down to the docks, get a coffee, sit and watch the activity.
Browse some shops. Some good crafts people.
Amnicon Falls (water fall) is not too far and a nice little adventure. It's on the way to Superior and Duluth. Those are neat places to visit for half a day.

Nice spot!
Have fun....
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

garygb

Take a half day sea kayaking excursion to the sea caves.

Rent bicycles to take over to Madeline Island rather than taking your car on the ferry.

Check out the performances at Big Top Chatauqua.

imnofish

If you can charter a guided fishing trip on Lake Superior, fishing the area around the Apostle Islands can be a productive and the views are amazing. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Wish i could afford the fishing. The Mrs. isn't quite as into it as I am.

Amnicon is on the list. I'll probably ferry the car so I can drive Madeline. Kayaking sounds good. Most recommend this highly.

Big Top is a cool venue. I'll have to see who's there.

Gracias , amigos!

Houndhead

bigG

Ha ha! Funny you should post that. Our first stop, since we can't check in until 2:30, so we're going to cross over and our first stop will be the burned down cafe. I'm praying to hit Delta. It's my uncle's favorite place up there and he insists I try it out. I live for little places like that. You end up getting to know the workers and owners as friends.

Thanks for the tips, though. We have a great state to travel in. I just had an Austrian girl spend a school year in my high school; and she said she was so pleasantly surprised at how nice everyone was in the upper midwest. Had enough of our east coast (the US, not Wisconsin.) :)

MNbadger

Love paddling the Apostles and love the Delta Diner.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

bigG

I hope my experiences jibe with yours. I'm planning to have Delta as my last meal (which will be breakfast) there.

MNbadger

You could rent kayaks and paddle out to the sea caves on Madeline as well.  There is a fellow who runs trips doing this.  He is across from the town beach on Madeline. 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

bigG

Yeah, my Mrs. said she'd like to give that a try. Seems like a "must do" when you visit. I love stuff like that. I also love Superior whitefish, laketrout, etc. :) Something to do to build up the ole appetite. Just hope it isn't close to freezing when we do it. Shrinkage, ya know.

bigG

Great little trip. I love our state. Nice people everywhere ya go and some gorgeous scenery, food, activities, inactivities.
After my last chunk today, I wall have eaten 7 lbs. of whitefish in the last week. I might need to check into a facility that deals with bizarre addictions.

MNbadger

It is closed now but there was a place called the Village Inn on the way to Bayfield.  They served a whitefish chowder that might the best food item I have ever eaten.  I love fish but other than this example, I have never liked fish soups/chowders or fish tacos, etc.   
Man it was delicious!  I literally never went to Bayfield without having some of that fish chowder......
Quote from: bigG on July 05, 2019, 07:22:08 AM
Great little trip. I love our state. Nice people everywhere ya go and some gorgeous scenery, food, activities, inactivities.
After my last chunk today, I wall have eaten 7 lbs. of whitefish in the last week. I might need to check into a facility that deals with bizarre addictions.

bigG

Never considered myself a chowder head; but, then, I discovered that the best chowders use no thickener, and rely on the potatoes to break to thicken it. No flour or cornstarch. Whitefish loves the boil, though. Also great pan fried and/or smoked. Couple weeks and I head near the Chippewa flowage for a week. Great week.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on July 08, 2019, 07:03:08 AM
Never considered myself a chowder head; but, then, I discovered that the best chowders use no thickener, and rely on the potatoes to break to thicken it. No flour or cornstarch. Whitefish loves the boil, though. Also great pan fried and/or smoked. Couple weeks and I head near the Chippewa flowage for a week. Great week.

We'll keep an eye out for you and your boy.  Have a great trip!
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!