Is it too soon ......?

Started by whatever, March 23, 2019, 09:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatever

.....to say that Iowa will never win another team title as long as they have Brands as coach and Sanderson is at Penn St.?

Iowa fans might  want to face that reality sooner than later.

Feel free to explain why I may be wrong on this one.....
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

Harris

They should be pretty good next year. 

125 Lee
133 Desanto
141 Murin
149 Lugo
157 Young
165 Marinelli
174 Kemerer
184 Wilke
197 Warner
285 Cass

Nolf and Nickal graduate.  Iowa's 125, 133, 149, 157, 165, 174, and 197 next year have all been All Americans.

jdwrestle

I'll wager to say that because of all the dream teamers penn st lost over this year and the last few years and with the younger talent spread across the other D1 schools in the country being finalists or champs that it will eat into penn st points at nationals. We may have seen the last of their dynasty's run at the top in the short term till Cael waves his magic wand again with another talented group of dominating wrestlers...next year may turn into team depth that crowns the next team champ with Iowa being in that conversation. I agree Cael will never be overlooked in developing his recruits into top notch wrestlers vying for titles, but five-six finalists/champs a year can't be sustained. The Brands will probably build their grinders to be top 5 in their weight classes next year and that might be enough-reminds me of the year MN had 9-10 AA and won the title.  Next year could be the year of the "others".
The harder you work, the harder it is to lose.

rv84

They have 6 returning all americans . Im  Just guessing whith out actually checking they have the most returning points.

Harris

Quote from: rv84 on March 23, 2019, 11:32:17 PM
They have 6 returning all americans . Im  Just guessing whith out actually checking they have the most returning points.
Plus Kemerer if he is healthy and can come back at that level.

Kemerer is a two-time All-American, taking third at 157 pounds in 2017 and fourth last year at the same weight. During his two trips to the NCAA Championships, he's scored two pins, three major decisions and one technical fall. His overall record entering this season is 60-6.

GoodGod

Doesn't matter how many points they return, they'll find a way to be 4th again.

bigG

Anytime you watch the Hawkeyes, you need an icepack on your neck. They are hard on the head ties. Brands had them ready in terms of conditioning; but it always seems like a chore for his wrestlers, whereas Cael imparts focus, have fun and finish. Sure as heck is working.

Iowa fans could say the same to us about cracking the top 10, sadly. I like our coach, though. Brands is just weird. Or, should I say, Brands (at least those two) ARE just weird.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

whatever

Quote from: GoodGod on March 24, 2019, 12:57:34 AM
Doesn't matter how many points they return, they'll find a way to be 4th again.

😂😂😂

imwi

From a Flo article

Returning Team Points for 2020
Penn State - 82 (includes Cassar. excludes Rasheed)

Iowa - 75pts.

npope

If we Bucky-faithful are going to "pick a fight" I might suggest that we find somebody our own size to start with; the Hawkeyes simply brutalized the Badgers this past season; they should have been put in jail for what they did to Bucky. For the foreseeable future that pattern would appear to the competitive reality. In five years maybe a different tune, but who knows five-years out? If Bucky is going to start talking some smack, I suggest we begin by finding somebody our own size, e.g., Purdue, Rutgers, etc., and work up to the likes of Michigan and/or Minnesota - don't start off by poking a sleeping giant.  ;)
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

whatever

This isn't about "UW vs. Iowa".

It's about Iowa not being the "gold standard" for college wrestling like they used to.

I don't care if a guy from Guadulupe happens to point that out.

wrestling for fun

Since this was posted on the Badgers forum, People living in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.  This coming from a program that is  standing on their tippy toes to reach the bottom of relevance in big10 and D1.

After all the hype, hard wrestling, buying in....4th place still seems unreachable for UW in the near future.

Seen a lot of improvement on conditioning and won quite a few matches early on because if it.  I see other teams caught up in the conditioning and Wisconsin looked tired and burnt out at the end.

We could be so fortunate to be fighting for 2nd-4th every year, packing the fieldhouse, recruiting blue chippers...hope it happens..

Maybe next year

Manty77

Quote from: imwi on March 24, 2019, 08:16:00 AM

From a Flo article

Returning Team Points for 2020
Penn State - 82 (includes Cassar. excludes Rasheed)

Iowa - 75pts.

I thought Cassar is a Senior?

wrastle63

Quote from: bigG on March 24, 2019, 02:34:28 AM
Anytime you watch the Hawkeyes, you need an icepack on your neck. They are hard on the head ties. Brands had them ready in terms of conditioning; but it always seems like a chore for his wrestlers, whereas Cael imparts focus, have fun and finish. Sure as heck is working.

Iowa fans could say the same to us about cracking the top 10, sadly. I like our coach, though. Brands is just weird. Or, should I say, Brands (at least those two) ARE just weird.
I would argue they weren't ready. Wilcke and Warner both gassed hard! Marinelli the clear 1 seed takes 5th. Young and Lee looked great but not so much with the others.

gijd

I thought I saw on one of the televised B10 matches earlier this year, one of the announcers said Cassar might be able to get a medical redshirt. He was banged up a couple of years early on.