All-Americans by State

Started by 1Iota, March 23, 2019, 05:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Iota

Pennsylvania had 16 and New Jersey had 9.  Not a single All-American is a native of Wisconsin.  That fact alone displays why to be successful UW why the majority of recruits have to come from out of state. 

mkm13

The success from WI kids has been non existent since Dieringer.  It has been a tough stretch for sure.  Hopefully with the increased excitement Bono has created in the state, as well as Askren, things will pick up.

billymurphy

Bo Nickal scored 27 points at the NCAA Tournament, the same number of points the Badgers team scored.

whatever

While most people would readily admit that UW needs to recruit out of state, to use this one year to make your argument that the majority of the team needs to be out of state kids is not accurate

Look at the current crop of Wisconsin HS juniors and seniors and tell me that Wisconsin as a state will continue to get shut out at the NCAAs 3 or 4 years from now.......
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

Numbers

Quote from: billymurphy on March 23, 2019, 09:13:27 PM
Bo Nickal scored 27 points at the NCAA Tournament, the same number of points the Badgers team scored.
Bo returns zero points next year!

Numbers

The number of D1 NCAA qualifiers from Wisconsin WILL be increasing.  But how many will gain AA status?

bigG

Quote from: billymurphy on March 23, 2019, 09:13:27 PM

And he's from Texas, a state that doesn't even get many AAs.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

whatever

Quote from: Numbers on March 23, 2019, 09:58:40 PM
The number of D1 NCAA qualifiers from Wisconsin WILL be increasing.  But how many will gain AA status?

I would tell you but I can't seem to find my crystal ball right now.....
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

mkm13

Quote from: whatever on March 23, 2019, 09:22:55 PM
While most people would readily admit that UW needs to recruit out of state, to use this one year to make your argument that the majority of the team needs to be out of state kids is not accurate

Look at the current crop of Wisconsin HS juniors and seniors and tell me that Wisconsin as a state will continue to get shut out at the NCAAs 3 or 4 years from now.......

Has a kid from WI been an AA any of the last 3 years?  If there has been, I am not remembering.  At this point, even next year the best potential for AA's are Martin, Mocco, Breske, Krattiger, Dow, Joles, or Barnett.  Not sure we will get one next year either, but it would be great to see.

I agree there are guys in high school right now that seem to have a good chance to AA in the future.  Hope it happens.

DocWrestling

This is kind of silly and stupid without showing the other side.  How about showing us how many top 10 kids, top 20 kids, top 50 kids, or top 100 kids did not become all-americans.  Just as many have failed as have exceeded I would imagine.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

imnofish

Only one champion had been ranked #1 during his HS senior season. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

mkm13

Quote from: imnofish on March 27, 2019, 12:50:30 AM
Only one champion had been ranked #1 during his HS senior season. 

To clarify, those are not individual weight rankings in high school, that is overall.  If you go by individual weight ranking in high school, several were champions.

The wrestlers ranked number one overall by year were:
Gable Steveson (2018) - lost by 2 seconds of riding time to the champ as a true freshman at heavyweight.  elite.
Spencer Lee (2017) - Good chance to be a 4 time champ
Mark Hall (2016) - has finished 1st, 2nd, 2nd (finishing 2nd to arguably one of the best wrestlers in college who was ranked at #3 overall in 2015)
Anthony Valencia (2015) - was ranked ahead of Zahid.  Took a redshirt this year.  Has been having to make a big cut to make lineup with brother, which I think has hurt his performance.  Still an AA level wrestler

There were only 4 in college right now as Kyle Snyder was ranked #1 in 2014 and didnt redshirt. Over the last 5 years, the only one who has really not lived up to the hype has been Anthony, but his brother has more than made up for that.

Recruiting the top guys is extremely important (obviously some flame out).  I think Bono, Reader, McDonough, and Askren will have a lot more pull with the top recruits than the previous staff.

DocWrestling

So 67 of the 80 all americans were ranked in the top 100 of their recruiting class.

That is over 4-5 recruiting classes so 400 wrestlers.  So in reality 67 of 400 (top 100) wrestlers became all-americans.  I am sure there are plenty that redshirted or were out injured, etc but still matters.

I agree 100% that getting top wrestlers/talent in your room is the key and this staff will be much better at that.

My point is more that even with top 50 wrestlers it is still a bit of a crapshoot as to who becomes all-americans because it is dang hard to become an all-american.  That is a huge accomplishment and reward for a ton of hard work and dedication
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

lizard king

coaching them once they get there may make a difference?   I think we are in a good place now.