Lee Kemp

Started by Houndhead, March 05, 2019, 07:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

His book looks like a great read, as well.  If anyone on here has read it, or subscribed to his blog, I would be interested in your reactions to them.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Houndhead

During my school years of wrestling, Lee Kemp was my wrestling hero. I don't think a lot of people realize how great he actually was.

npope

Lee and I were freshmen together on the Badgers back in 1974 (my sole claim to wrestling fame). Of course he was special even at that early age (but no one knew exactly how special he would become). While I can't really speak to his incredible career, I can say that Lee as a person was quiet, almost shy, and a very nice gentleman - mature beyond his years both physically and in his demeanor. Sure hope the world gets to know what a good guy he was/is.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

bigG

Quote from: Houndhead on March 05, 2019, 10:24:21 AM
During my school years of wrestling, Lee Kemp was my wrestling hero. I don't think a lot of people realize how great he actually was.

Noer will people realize how great he could have been. He was at the top of his game when the boycott happened.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Barou

Quote from: bigG on March 05, 2019, 12:06:02 PM

Noer will people realize how great he could have been. He was at the top of his game when the boycott happened.

My hometown guy Jim Haines was on that Olympic team with Kemp that year.  He won silver at the worlds the year before so pretty primed for a medal run.  Can't say I've ever forgiven Carter for boycotting the olympics.  A lot of fantastic athletes/people that had no part in his politics got their moment stolen.
JHI Mafia

imnofish

Quote from: Barou on March 05, 2019, 12:16:25 PM

My hometown guy Jim Haines was on that Olympic team with Kemp that year.  He won silver at the worlds the year before so pretty primed for a medal run.  Can't say I've ever forgiven Carter for boycotting the olympics.  A lot of fantastic athletes/people that had no part in his politics got their moment stolen.

Have you ever heard Ben Peterson's take on the boycott?  He was also on the team.  As I recall, he cherishes the medal that he recieved from President Carter for the sacrifice he made and regards it as symbolic of his patriotic duty.  No doubt, he was disappointed, but he also recognized that Olympians represent their country and have a duty to fulfill that goes beyond themselves.  Interesting take and one that I can certainly admire...
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

dad 2 5

Quote from: imnofish on March 05, 2019, 12:38:29 PM

+1
Peterson book too is a must read for any wrestler, coach, parent, fan
Wisconsin really does have many great links to some of wrestling greats!

Have you ever heard Ben Peterson's take on the boycott?  He was also on the team.  As I recall, he cherishes the medal that he recieved from President Carter for the sacrifice he made and regards it as symbolic of his patriotic duty.  No doubt, he was disappointed, but he also recognized that Olympians represent their country and have a duty to fulfill that goes beyond themselves.  Interesting take and one that I can certainly admire...

jchap

Ben already had a Gold medal.  He no doubt paid a price in 1980, but That was Kemp's only chance once Dave Schultz came around.

imnofish

Quote from: jchap on March 05, 2019, 06:55:48 PM

Ben already had a Gold medal.  He no doubt paid a price in 1980, but That was Kemp's only chance once Dave Schultz came around.

Yes, that was certainly unfortunate for Kemp.  My point is just that eadch wrestler probably processed the situation in his own way.  I doubt it was easy for any of them.