106 Bracket Last Year

Started by 1Iota, February 22, 2019, 09:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Iota

I remember a much more knowledgeable person then myself telling me how stacked the 106lb bracket was last year, a weight I don't normally equate with being stacked.  I noticed this year that 7 of the remaining semi finalist from 106 to 120 were in that bracket last year. 

1Iota

Quote from: Luke Louison on February 22, 2019, 11:38:55 AM
I just went into a random 106-pound bracket from the archives (2015 - https://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Results/Wrestling/2015/d1bracket.pdf)

Brandon Klein won it. He'd go on to become a two-time champ.
Drew Scharenbrock went (0-2), but would go on to be a two-time champ.
Brady Koontz took 6th, and would go on to be a two-time finalist, one time champ.
Mason Phillips beat Koontz to take 5th, and he ended up placing three more times, including a championship.
Aaron Shulist took 2nd in this bracket, and would end up as a two-time finalist, three-time place winner.
Caleb Ziebell went (0-1), but would end up as a finalist (losing to Phillips), with three total podium trips.
Francisco Schiro went (2-2), but would place two times before his career ended.
Nathan Hensley took 3rd and would do that again before his career ended.
Mitch Landgraf went (0-1) but later placed.

I while 8 would be a big number, I don't think the phenomenon of 106-pound brackets going onto success is very rare.

I would agree with your data.  The lack of seniors is something I didn't think of.