Conference Week

Started by Nutsnbolts, January 28, 2019, 01:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nutsnbolts

Welcome sweet February!! Some predictions and a little preview for the Conference Tournament this weekend.

Delsman has to be the favorite here with Szombathelyi challenging him
Delsman the heavy favorite
Erickson - Weiss is a tough wrestler he will be contending also. Large also in this weight
Hammen - Hammen and Tesarik are two of the best in the state i hope they get to go at it again
Lopez seems to be the favorite has he beat Hoopman earlier in the year. Cracraft will be there also
Kasper should walk through
Bock - pretty open weight class however
Vandenbush lock him in
Stelzer - Stelzer is always tough and Tetroete is having an awesome year this one will be fun to watch
Vandenbush - Deruyter has some good wins this year but this ones Vbush's to lose. Hrubecky is here also
Schanilec - this will be a fun weight class to watch as lambrecht anzia and schanilec hold the #10-#12 D3 ranking. cant forget about upson either. looks like 3 of these 4 guys will be heading to state come sectionals
Shields - Deunk beat Shields in a close match earlier in the year. will be close one
Ebert - perhaps the most exciting weight class with 4 ranked wrestlers. ill pick Koeppel to get in the finals with ebert but between schorer and feind, anyone can win this one as all have been in very close matches with each other this year and last year
Reuge - Ramirez will also contend for the title

These predictions are based on where everyone has been all year. Now im assuming there will be some moving around come saturday. wonder if someone will bump up to 138 or 145. would also expect some moving around around 220 - hwt. Either way, should be a good day of wrestling!

CLC FAN

Nice write-up.  Good luck to all teams tomorrow!

CLC FAN

Congratulations to all the conference champs!

106:  B Delsman Reeds 1st 
M Szombathelyi RL 2nd

113: C Delsman Reeds 1st
E Sanfelippo RL 2nd

120: C Erickson CG 1st
T Birenbaum RL 2nd

126: K Tesarik Mish 1st
D Weiss RL 2nd

132: T Hammen RL 1st
R Lopez-Lloyd EL/HG 2nd

138: Q Hoopman CG 1st
E Benefield Mish 2nd

145: C Nelson EL/HG 1st
J Bock RL 2nd

152: A Vandenbush RL 1st
C Entringer EL/HG 2nd

160: J TeStroete CG 1st
S Schwabe RL 2nd

170: G Vandenbush RL 1st
M Hrubecky Mish 2nd

182: C Schanilec Reeds 1st
A Duenk CG 2nd

195: B Upson RL 1st
B Anzia CG 2nd

220: J Schorer EL/HG 1st
F Koeppel Mish 2nd

285: C Ruege RL 1st
T Sippel EL/HG 2nd

CLC FAN

Team Scores:

1st Random Lake 259
2nd Elkhart Lake/Howards Grove 219
3rd Cedar Grove-Belgium 214.5
4th Mishicot 168.5
5th Reedsville 119.5
6th Oostburg 88.5
7th Ozaukee 21

Binfiller

Does anybody know why Stelzer and Kasper from Reedsville didn't wrestle?

Bandit

Here's the deal Big Easterners. This conference tournament is dying. 10 out of 14 championship matches ended by Fall......10!! That's no good. I said this last year and I'll say it again. How awesome would it be to get the EWC and Big East conferences combined for the first Saturday of February. Random Lake, Two Rivers, Brillion, Reedsville, Chilton, Cedar Grove, Sheboygan Falls, Oostburg, Ozaukee, Valders, New Holstein, Mishicot, Elkhart Lake, Kiel. There wouldn't be an empty seat in the gym. Who wouldn't pay to see that. I hope coaches read this and get on the bandwagon. Other conferences around the state combine and do this. Why not us? What do you think CLC fan, NOPIN say this would be a great tournament or what? THoughts? THE EASTERN LAKESHORE BRAWL.

River Otter

IMO, the talent level of more than just a handful of conference champions is state caliber. Many of those pins were by kids that put in extra work and also wrestle in the off season. I expect many of those kids to do well in the state series. A better point to make would be how just one team had 11 wrestlers in the finals. I think we were all kind of surprised by that. Well done Random Lake and their coaching staff. Add to it the fact that a few wrestlers did not compete, and there was a bit of moving around in the weight classes. Might be just me, but I see some of our top wrestlers have simply separated themselves.  As far as a united conference tournament, it would definitely elevate the atmosphere for sure. On a side note, I think the Big East has a chance at more than 1 state champ this year. Whether it be from one school or multiple schools, there are several wrestlers in the area that have put in the work to do it. Good Luck to all this weekend as the journey begins

Nutsnbolts

Love that idea!  IMO these teams see enough of each other throughout the year, and most of the time the same kids that meet in conference will meet each other in Regionals and sectionals as well.  I say this because in the tournament we had 5 schools account for all 28 finalists, and I agree that's no good.  I think both the  EWC and big east match up pretty well considering the success of the wrestling programs, and the schools in each conference have very similar locations so I think it could definitely work.  Not to mention the awesome wrestling it would bring to get ready for the state series.

Gutwrench

Maybe have a separate tournament combining those two conferences, because I agree it would be fun to watch.  However I wouldn't be on board combining them to replace the traditional conference tourneys.  Here's why....

My dad was a high school wrestling coach back in the late 70's when the discussions were happening to move away from the one class system.  There were many advocates for keeping things the way they were, and one of their big points was how great it is for the fans to see "who was the best of the best" by having only one state champ.  My dad on the other hand voiced the opposite opinion.  How great would it be to have 3 state champs?!  That kid from the small school walks away from his last match after having his hand raised thinking(knowing) he's a State Champion.  With a one class system how many of those kids from the small schools would even have qualified for State, much less won State.  My point is keep the conference tournaments separate.  Yeah the high quality kids will be able to compete in any conference tournament you throw them into.  Think about those kids who are making finals or semi finals in the current setup, and I bet they are feeling pretty dang good about themselves for doing as well as they did.

Bandit

Kids make the semi finals if they just show up and some years make finals with 2 to 3 man brackets on occasion.

Fabulous Falcons

Quote from: Gutwrench on February 06, 2019, 04:30:21 PM
Maybe have a separate tournament combining those two conferences, because I agree it would be fun to watch.

There is a separate tournament for this already established. . .its called the Herb Tyler Invitational at Sheboygan North every year second weekend in January. Area teams in the former CLC and EWC that have been there over the years included Random Lake, Oostburg, Elkhardt  Lake, Howards Grove, Sheboygan Falls, New Holstein, Campbellsport, Kiel, Plymouth and Two Rivers.

Winning a conference title back in the day for my high school of Random Lake was a big deal for me. . .I would not have beaten the guy from Kewaskum who was a two or three time EWC conference champ. I used a lot of that positive energy to help my nephews from Random Lake (and their teammates) and my son from Sheboygan Falls (and his teammates) become much better wrestlers than myself. Moreover winning conference meant I'd get my name on the big board at the high school.  ;D
Howard Ruff: "It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."