Journal's Top 10 Wis Athletes all time

Started by 1Iota, January 25, 2019, 12:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Iota

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/mark-stewart/2019/01/24/stewcol-10-best-all-time-wisconsin-high-school-athletes/2653166002/

Not a single wrestler on the list.  I have already e-mailed the writers expressing my dismay.  

I would have placed Tim Krumrie on this list.  2 time all-state LB, averaged 9.6 ypc as FB, and State Champion wrestler at Mondovi. 

bigoil

Hard to argue with their list, all pre 2000 HS kids.

Could have probably grabbed some of the UW Wisconsin guys from the 70's, plus Velasquez,

Hall, Lowney for their Olympics; Was Lowney a FB star?

Krumrie, Biegel would seem to be maybe the best fits that I can recall with the multi-sport with high success in both.

Coach Q

gerald_walsh

What about Chuck Goldsmith , champ in wrestling and went on to become President of the inappropriate term3's Angels

yde

Eric Heiden, Chris Witty.  Both speedskaters competing on the international stage while still in HS.  Both were multi sport athletes. Heiden competed in the Tour de France while Witty (gold medalist/world record holder in speed skating) also competed in the summer Olympics in cycling taking I think a 4th place.

Jimmy

Dennis Hall has world and Olympic medals around his neck, not to shabby

bigG

But, did he have those in HS?

I agree with the Eric Heiden love. Dude was world class on skates and bike as a HS athlete.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.