No. 18 Purdue Makes It 9 Straight Over Hoosiers

Started by TomM, January 19, 2019, 04:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

No. 18 Purdue Wrestlers Make It 9 Straight Over Hoosiers
Jan. 18, 2019

VIDEO https://grabyo.com/g/v/47v3Nzc4Uyz

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – The 18th-ranked Purdue wrestling team made it nine straight over Indiana, beating the Hoosiers 18-11 at Mackey Arena on Friday to open #BeatIU weekend. The Boilermakers won three weights early in the dual and closed with three wins in the upper weights to lift their record to 5-4, 2-1 Big Ten. IU dropped to 4-8, 1-4 Big Ten.

Purdue extended its longest winning streak in the series to nine, picking up its sixth win on its home mat during the streak. The nine straight wins in the series is the longest streak for either team since the Hoosiers won 10 straight, spanning from Jan. 11, 1976, to Feb. 8, 1983.

It was the third consecutive season the Boilermakers have wrestled a dual at Mackey, with IU going down in two of three of those duals.

Devin Schroder set the tone with a 7-2 showing against Liam Cronin at 125 pounds.

"I love starting off the dual with me, I always believe in myself," Schroder said. "Once I get that first win the crowd is pumped, momentum goes to the team for the rest of the dual."

The redshirt sophomore recorded a takedown in the first and third periods, to go along with an escape in the second, a penalty point in the third and 2:40 of riding time. The win lifted Schroder to 15-6.

"Like coach says, you just have to keep scoring points," Schroder said. "Whatever the score is, you just have to keep building. We use these as good stepping-stones. The Big Ten is always tough, with tough opponents ahead. [We will] try to enjoy the win and get ready to get back and get to working for future opponents."

The two ensuing bouts saw No. 19 Ben Thornton and Nate Limmex notch decisions at 133 and 141 pounds, respectively. Thornton (14-3) blanked IU's Garrett Pepple 5-0 for his eighth shutout of the season. A takedown in the second period sealed the deal for a 5-4 Limmex decision of Kyle Luigs. During the 141-pound match, Indiana was deducted one team point for control of mat.

The middleweights went the Hoosiers' way, putting the dual at 9-8 in favor of Purdue heading into 174 pounds. No. 14 Dylan Lydy was the first of three straight wins for the Boilermakers. Lydy pushed his record to 17-4 after he disposed of Jacob Covaciu 5-2.

A 3-2 decision by Max Lyon (15-7) over Norman Conley followed at 184 pounds, with the win clinching the dual for Purdue. No. 12 Christian Brunner beat Jake Kleimola by turning in a 5-1 decision. The 197-pounder and two-time NCAA qualifier improved to 13-5 with the win.

With a winter storm rolling in, Purdue immediately hit the road after the win over Indiana bound for Ann Arbor, Michigan, for its first double-dual weekend of the Big Ten season. The Boilermakers are set to face the sixth-ranked Wolverines at 2 p.m. ET on Sunday at Cliff Keen Arena. U-M (7-0, 3-0 B1G) also defeated its in-state rival Friday, cruising past Michigan State 30-10 in East Lansing.
--
AMANDA C. DAHL
PURDUE ATHLETICS
Supervisor of Wrestling Operations
Associate Strategic Communications Director, Wrestling

O 765.494.0529 | C 712.251.9271
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"