Iowa Wrestling Results -- #4 IOWA 30, #20 Rutgers 6
Date:     Fri 01/18/19 10:19 PM
Results below... recap to follow.

#4 IOWA 30, #20 Rutgers 6
125 -- #2 Spencer Lee (IA) pinned Nick Denora (R), 0:38; 6-0
133 -- #10 Austin DeSanto (IA) dec. #3 Nick Suriano (R) 6-4; 8-0*
141 -- #15 Max Murin (IA) dec. Peter Lipari (R), 8-4; 11-0
149 -- #2 Anthony Ashnault (R) dec. 10 Pat Lugo (IA), 3-1; 11-3
157 -- #5 Kaleb Young (IA) dec. #14 John Van Brill (R)
165 -- #2 Alex Marinelli (IA) pinned Anthony Oliveri (R), 2:17; 20-3
174 -- Joseph Grello (R) dec. Mitch Bowman (IA), 7-3; 20-6
184 -- #14 Cash Wilcke (IA) dec. Willie Scott (R), 6-1; 23-6
197 -- #6 Jacob Warner (IA) dec. Matthew Correnti (R), 6-0; 26-6
285 -- #3 Sam Stoll (IA) major dec. Christian Colucci (R), 10-0; 30-6
Records: Iowa (8-0, 3-0), #20 Rutgers (7-4, 1-2)
Attendance: 8,500
*Iowa was deducted one team point following the 133-pound match
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

jeast

Disappointed to see DeSanto get the win over Suriano last night. Kind of surprised at the stalling calls to force Suriano to release DeSanto late. And honestly, what head coach in the country would get away with grabbing his kid and dragging him off the mat before shaking hands end of match procedure?  Only in Iowa. Can't wait for the B1G tourney in Minnesota. Every time DeSanto walks out on the mat he is going to hear it. Does anyone have any idea what he said to Brands after the match? Wish I could read lips.
Wrestling has always had an unwritten rule that you don't disrespect your opponents.  Kind of like baseball, you throw at our guy, we throw at your guy. DeSanto is bush league and I don't care how good he is. I hope he gets his stuff together.
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

imwi

Quote from: jeast on January 19, 2019, 07:15:39 AM
Disappointed to see DeSanto get the win over Suriano last night. Kind of surprised at the stalling calls to force Suriano to release DeSanto late. And honestly, what head coach in the country would get away with grabbing his kid and dragging him off the mat before shaking hands end of match procedure?  Only in Iowa. Can't wait for the B1G tourney in Minnesota. Every time DeSanto walks out on the mat he is going to hear it. Does anyone have any idea what he said to Brands after the match? Wish I could read lips.
Wrestling has always had an unwritten rule that you don't disrespect your opponents.  Kind of like baseball, you throw at our guy, we throw at your guy. DeSanto is bush league and I don't care how good he is. I hope he gets his stuff together.

I can't even believe that I am going to attempt to defend Brands.  After watching the clip that Flo posted, it did sound like they lost a point for loss of control of the mat but then again, maybe the announcers just said that because that's what should have happened.  I honestly think what he did was separate the two since Desanto was screaming in Surianos face.  Your main point is correct though, Desanto is a tool.

From an article on the match
"The downside of DeSanto's intensity and aggressiveness is that it has extended beyond the match. Iowa has lost a team point in each of the last two meets for unsportsmanlike conduct from his post-match actions."

bigoil

Quote from: imwi on January 19, 2019, 10:30:39 AM
Quote from: jeast on January 19, 2019, 07:15:39 AM

I can't even believe that I am going to attempt to defend Brands.  After watching the clip that Flo posted, it did sound like they lost a point for loss of control of the mat but then again, maybe the announcers just said that because that's what should have happened.  I honestly think what he did was separate the two since Desanto was screaming in Surianos face.  Your main point is correct though, Desanto is a tool.

From an article on the match
"The downside of DeSanto's intensity and aggressiveness is that it has extended beyond the match. Iowa has lost a team point in each of the last two meets for unsportsmanlike conduct from his post-match actions."

I agree, I believe that was Terry Brands that grabbed him. If you are going to fault DeSantos for jawing, you need to look no further than the edge of the mat with Tom Brands actually on the mat, in your face style.

I use to be more fuddy duddy and act like you've been there done that but we as a society have become soft. That is not to say DeSantos isn't a tool because he's shown his true colors on the mat.

We can't even chant Nah Nah Hey Hey Goodbye anymore.

ChargerDad

I believe the team point deducted was for DeSantos Unsportsmanlike Conduct, not for Brands loss of mat control...

TomM

The coach running out on the mat. Granted, it was to 'control' his athlete.
What are the rules about a coach running out to center of mat?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

jeast

I think wrestling at the collegiate and high school level is and always has been an outlier.  By that, I mean we have grooming rules (I know, that's changing too), we have handshakes before and after each match. We have end of match procedures etc. etc. This in my opinion has saved our sport from the debacle that is College and High School football and basketball, where it is openly allowed to dis an opponent, "tea bag" a running back or receiver after a tackle, non stop smack talk, celebrations that exceed sportsmanship in my opinion, etc. etc.

Wrestling has an unwritten rule that you don't disrespect your opponent. Take down and let up even gets a boo if it is done in poor taste. I like that about this sport. We respect each other because we all know that there is nothing like the dedication that this sport requires of athletes, whether they are good or not. We will kick your arse, but do it within the rules and respectfully.

Baseball is similar. Throw at our guy, we're going to throw at your guy. Flip your bat, take a fastball to the middle of your back. I love that.

I see DeSanto and his antics as a cancer on our sport that if we don't nip it in the bud, it will become common place. I get the back flips after winning a state or national title, but they are not welcome any other time. Brands is a phenom coach! We all know that. But who else in the sport gets to go out on the match before the end of match procedure to "save" you kid from doing something stupid?  

Rant mode off.   8)
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

2 team points should have been deducted...
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

ChargerDad

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on January 21, 2019, 11:13:56 AM
2 team points should have been deducted...

That's what I would say, though I've been told by a former NCAA official that's not what the rules say..

npope

Quote from: jeast on January 21, 2019, 10:10:53 AM
I think wrestling at the collegiate and high school level is and always has been an outlier.  By that, I mean we have grooming rules (I know, that's changing too), we have handshakes before and after each match. We have end of match procedures etc. etc. This in my opinion has saved our sport from the debacle that is College and High School football and basketball, where it is openly allowed to dis an opponent, "tea bag" a running back or receiver after a tackle, non stop smack talk, celebrations that exceed sportsmanship in my opinion, etc. etc.

Wrestling has an unwritten rule that you don't disrespect your opponent. Take down and let up even gets a boo if it is done in poor taste. I like that about this sport. We respect each other because we all know that there is nothing like the dedication that this sport requires of athletes, whether they are good or not. We will kick your arse, but do it within the rules and respectfully.

Baseball is similar. Throw at our guy, we're going to throw at your guy. Flip your bat, take a fastball to the middle of your back. I love that.

I see DeSanto and his antics as a cancer on our sport that if we don't nip it in the bud, it will become common place. I get the back flips after winning a state or national title, but they are not welcome any other time. Brands is a phenom coach! We all know that. But who else in the sport gets to go out on the match before the end of match procedure to "save" you kid from doing something stupid?  

Rant mode off.   8)

Couldn't have said it better. Thank you.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope