Grandal

Started by fastnfurious, January 09, 2019, 10:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastnfurious

I really like this signing. Yeah he looked pretty bad behind the dish during the NLCS but he's usually pretty solid back there from what I hear. Plus he can really hit which is rare for catchers these days. It's only one year so not much risk despite the $ seeming relatively steep. I think he can have some real success here. Huge upgrade for what was one of our weakest positions. Now all we need is a short-term 2nd baseman and a true ace.

bigoil

Madison B is high on the crews list and reportedly is where he wants to go

bigoil

Quote from: fastnfurious on January 09, 2019, 10:54:02 PM
I really like this signing. Yeah he looked pretty bad behind the dish during the NLCS but he's usually pretty solid back there from what I hear. Plus he can really hit which is rare for catchers these days. It's only one year so not much risk despite the $ seeming relatively steep. I think he can have some real success here. Huge upgrade for what was one of our weakest positions. Now all we need is a short-term 2nd baseman and a true ace.

$18.2 million for a guy with more strikeouts than hits and leads the league in passes balls.

.240 hitter.

Trust in Stearns I guess.

Ghetto

Quote from: bigoil on January 10, 2019, 07:22:27 AM
Quote from: fastnfurious on January 09, 2019, 10:54:02 PM

$18.2 million for a guy with more strikeouts than hits and leads the league in passes balls.

.240 hitter.

Trust in Stearns I guess.

I'm out on Grandal. Stearns can find a guy to hit .240 at the McDonalds for 1/10th the price.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

wrastle63

The thing with Grandal is he is a lefty with power. He comes to Miller Park(look what Yelich did) and he can make some big jumps. He probably will get platooned play the first 7 innings and then get a defensive replacement or sit against lefty pitchers. This is a great signing!

neutral

I think Grandal will hit a ton of HRs in Miller.

Info says he's a great pitch framer and very good arm - but he is definitely going to need a defensive replacement in tight games since he has a long history of being at or near the top in Past Balls (not just last playoffs) ... and Jeffries & Knebel have to bounce the ball in there to get low strikes with their breaking balls in order to be fully effective.

I wish they would have done whatever it would have taken to get Realmuto.

At least it's only a 1 year deal - so if it works they'll have a shot at retaining him - or, if the Marlins hold on to Realmuto for another year ... he'll probably loose some value due to 1 tear less of team control ... and maybe they'll be more inclined to take shot at him then.

I feel bad for whoever looses out on the back-up catcher position.  While neither is good enough ... neither is bad ... and seem like good teammates.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

Ghetto

It's one year. I hope he plays out of his mind. Watching him be a butcher behind the plate in the playoffs was hard to watch even from a Brewer's fan.

littleguy301

for 1 year why not?

maybe a tad high for price but he he hits 30 homers and bats .250 I will be very pleased!

adding Mad B would be huge, not sure of the price but worth looking at for sure.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigoil

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 10, 2019, 11:15:35 AM
The thing with Grandal is he is a lefty with power. He comes to Miller Park(look what Yelich did) and he can make some big jumps. He probably will get platooned play the first 7 innings and then get a defensive replacement or sit against lefty pitchers. This is a great signing!
I do think his numbers will improve at Miller Park which is a huge upside but the $18 Million is a big number!

Houndhead

I thought the price was pretty steep. Most starting catchers only play 75% of the games. Hope he has a great year. I would have liked Brian Dozier at 2b for the 9 million that he signed for.

Ghetto

Quote from: Houndhead on January 11, 2019, 07:08:41 AM
I thought the price was pretty steep. Most starting catchers only play 75% of the games. Hope he has a great year. I would have liked Brian Dozier at 2b for the 9 million that he signed for.

Did I see Dozier on a one year deal? Totally agree. I would have been more in favor of him. Maybe it was two years. The Brewers have a guy ready in a year or two at second. The one year deal with Grandal is really in my mind a "We are going for it right now" statement. He doesn't really figure in long term and we don't have an answer in the farm system at catcher.

littleguy301

Have been a monster fan of Dozier! Lots of strike outside but man when he gets in a groove he can get it done. Carried the twins for a couple of stretches in his tenure with them.

Also he used to be on a radio show once a week during the season and was an awesome guest. Has a frenchie I believe named pickles   ;D ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

Quote from: Ghetto on January 10, 2019, 12:50:42 PM
It's one year. I hope he plays out of his mind. Watching him be a butcher behind the plate in the playoffs was hard to watch even from a Brewer's fan.

Man, his stock had to have dropped from that hot mess.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Houndhead

Quote from: Ghetto on January 11, 2019, 10:02:44 AM

Did I see Dozier on a one year deal? Totally agree. I would have been more in favor of him. Maybe it was two years. The Brewers have a guy ready in a year or two at second. The one year deal with Grandal is really in my mind a "We are going for it right now" statement. He doesn't really figure in long term and we don't have an answer in the farm system at catcher.

Pretty sure it was a one year deal for Dozier. I wouldn't mind seeing Moose back at 3b and Shaw at 2b.