Northern Badger - River Falls / Interesting Results @ Link

Started by TomM, December 28, 2018, 04:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCA

OddDuck

Quote from: PCA on December 31, 2018, 10:50:26 PM
For now he can drop down

yes but I don't think he will.. He's the favorite at 182..but,  unless you know he's planning on cutting lol

BEAST_MODE

Quote from: factfinder on December 31, 2018, 05:56:32 PM
Quote from: sled77 on December 30, 2018, 05:34:24 PM
Schlough, Boycville 152 looked very impressive, tech over an undefeated Smith in the final.  A 3X state champ, announcer said he's going to St.Cloud State, why not D1??  Freeman from Phillips (5 pins).  Marko, Spaith and Pfeiffer also impressed.
I looked up Schlough and with out a doubt he is a beast, but I could not find much on him at the national level beyond some average Greco performances at Northern Plains. How has he done nationally?
D1 wrestlers are typically showing well at the National level, there are tons of State Champs that are not D1 material. I am not saying that's the case with him but a majority of the D1 guys have a much bigger resume then what I was able to find on Schlough. If he has had some national success please post it.

Schlough is a beast!!! Maybe it comes down to the financial package that he was offered at St. Cloud State. Also, wrestling for the Huskies is no easy task, they are the reigning Division 2 national champs and currently ranked number 1 in the nation. He also might have other aspirations other than wrestling. Just my thoughts....
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." ~  Steve Roland "Pre" Prefontaine

jschlough

I am Brock's mom. Brock decided to go to St. Cloud because they had his Major. The first thing Steve and his coaching staff said at our visit was "last time we checked you don't make a living wrestling, so school comes first." Since Brock has committed Steve has never been to busy for us. I wanted Brock to actually wrestle d3. We looked at the cost of school and what was offered, he decided on St. Cloud. He will have to work his but off to try and make that team. I suggest you look into St. Cloud, they have won the National Championship three out of the last four years. This is an amazing coaching staff and program. Brock is very lucky that they wanted him on their team. Your comment about d1 is stupid and wrong. I don't know who you are and you certainty don't know what or who was interested in my boy.

imnofish

Quote from: jschlough on January 02, 2019, 07:32:20 AM
I am Brock's mom. Brock decided to go to St. Cloud because they had his Major. The first thing Steve and his coaching staff said at our visit was "last time we checked you don't make a living wrestling, so school comes first." Since Brock has committed Steve has never been to busy for us. I wanted Brock to actually wrestle d3. We looked at the cost of school and what was offered, he decided on St. Cloud. He will have to work his but off to try and make that team. I suggest you look into St. Cloud, they have won the National Championship three out of the last four years. This is an amazing coaching staff and program. Brock is very lucky that they wanted him on their team. Your comment about d1 is stupid and wrong. I don't know who you are and you certainty don't know what or who was interested in my boy.

It sounds like your son has his priorities in order.  Congrats to him on finding the path that best fits the future to which he aspires!
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

sled77

Quote from: jschlough on January 02, 2019, 07:32:20 AM
I am quite familiar with St. Cloud State and the wrestling program they have is something special.  Your son made an excellent choice in schools.  My "Why not D1?" comment was only intended to be a compliment to his wrestling ability.  I've watched him for years and his performance at last weeks Northern Badger was very impressive. I believe the announcer also said Brock is a 4.0 student.   You must be very proud.   I wish him the best of future success in both the classroom and on the mat.

jschlough

My comment was not directed at you. I should not have posted anything. My son is going to college and I am proud. Brock has been very lucky to have some really great people in his life and they helped him make this decision and shape him into who he is. What I am most proud of is that he is a good person.  Chad and I just made sure he had the right people in his life to influence him, they are a big part of his success and character.

missinghome

"WHY NOT D1" I love that when people think a kid went D1 and now has it made. I have a son that went through the recruiting process in Baseball. He had at least 10 D1 offers from some very great "Baseball schools" Baseball is the same as wrestling a great offer is 25% maybe 30% and most of the time they are out of state schools so tuition is $35,000 to $50,000 per year. (My son choose the JUCO route and got his 1st 2 years 100% paid. Then finished up the last 2 at a D3).At a D1 after your scholarship you still are paying $25,000 plus per yr. Throw in the guaranteed red shirt year and you do the math. Now add this in. How many "D1" kids have any success or even make a team in college? Not very many that's the answer. My advise is unless Penn State or Iowa (hopefully WI in a few yrs) is beating down your door be realistic and get an education. Don't go 100 plus in debt just to be able to say you went D1. Nice job Mrs. Schloug  for not falling into the "D1 trap" and realizing there is going to be a life after wrestling. And for all the people that have been told by someone that there son has a "full scholarship to wrestle in college you have been lied to.

littleguy301

heck I am just happy Mr Schlough is continuing wrestling!!!!!!!!

It has been a treat to be able to watch him wrestle for the past 3 1/2 years. incredible to say the least!

good luck on college in both school and wrestling!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet