Ohio St... Sunday 3:00 pm (Sunday, Dec. 9, 2018)

Started by leg turk, December 03, 2018, 07:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: TomM on December 09, 2018, 08:54:06 PM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on December 09, 2018, 08:28:14 PM
Stoll did wrestle against Iowa State and beat Gremmel 5-1 - that is the only match he has wrestled...
He was shot in the leg in an accident last summer and apparently is not 100%... there are stories at the themat.com forum about the incident...
They needed him in the Iowa State dual so that is why he went out there...
Thanks WWF...
Was aware of the 'shot in the leg' thing...  Then there was a penalty of sitting out a certain number of contests. With all the big hubub over his Iowa State appearance, I thought there was more to it.

Stoll did not wrestle against Lehigh this weekend...
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

mkm13

Quote from: factfinder on December 09, 2018, 07:34:15 PM

Or a year, the Big10 will be the big man conference.
MN Gable
Iowa Cassioppi
Ohio Kirkvliet
Penn Nevils

[/quote]

Heavyweight is going to be really interesting to watch.  In addition to the guys you listed, Mason Parris (Michigan) will be very good next year.  The big 10 will be stacked with high end HWTs.  That said, with Hillger's work ethic and talent, he will be very fun to watch for 3.5 more years.  Hillger fits in with the guys listed above and will be very competitive with them.

mkm13

I thought overall we competed well, OSU is just stacked at 5 weights.  Would have been nice to see Christensen win, but Ethan Smith is also very good.  He beat Cambpell 8-5 earlier this year and could be the starter going forward.

Tough to see guys like Moran and Martin get majored, but McKenna and Jordan are very good wrestlers. 

I thought Zander wrestled well.  Cleary is also a good wrestler. He only lost by 1 to Hayes earlier this year and he beat Will Lewan this year as well. 

Badgerfan

Gable Stevenson is an absolute beast. I think he could very well win 3 NC's and he'll be right there pounding on the door this year.

Barou

Quote from: Badgerfan on December 10, 2018, 09:53:11 AM
Gable Stevenson is an absolute beast. I think he could very well win 3 NC's and he'll be right there pounding on the door this year.

I think he wins 4.  We shall see.
JHI Mafia

wrastle63

Quote from: Barou on December 10, 2018, 12:06:41 PM
Quote from: Badgerfan on December 10, 2018, 09:53:11 AM

I think he wins 4.  We shall see.
Very well could. This year may be the easiest year for him to win in my opinion. Once all the redshirts and guys coming in I believe HWT will be a lot tougher overall. The guys coming are all athletic unlike Stoll and most HWTs this year.

bkraus

Who does Hilger have for a practice partner that can push him?  With him being our only HWT and our coaches not being the biggest guys, I wonder who he practices with.  Nothing against Salemme, but he is not going to push Hilger in practice.
Strive for Perfection

TomM

Quote from: Luke Louison on December 11, 2018, 01:22:55 PM
Quote from: bkraus on December 11, 2018, 12:57:20 PM
Who does Hilger have for a practice partner that can push him?  With him being our only HWT and our coaches not being the biggest guys, I wonder who he practices with.  Nothing against Salemme, but he is not going to push Hilger in practice.

Reader and Askren (when he's not being an MMA fighter). They're not heavyweights but their walkaround weights are probably both just a weight class below that. If Stone hadn't quit, Stone too, but if Salemme's skill level isn't sufficient, Stone's probably doesn't suffice either.

I think there are very few rooms with multiple elite level heavyweights. That's just how the weight works.

Don't quote me, but I heard all three coaches sit on each others shoulders and wrestle Hillger at the same time as one giant TRIPLE person!
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

leg turk

wrastle63

Guttridge will be in the room next year to help Hillger.

npope

Isn't this something the regional training center can help with? Shouldn't they be able to help by bringing in some (big) guy to train at the next level and while doing so, provide some in-the-room competition? Really haven't heard too much from the regional training center on this front and I am under the impression that the "shelves are now bare" in terms of athletes. I know it's easier said than done, but where is the center at on this front? Anybody have any idea?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

wrastle63

Quote from: npope on December 11, 2018, 02:36:46 PM
Isn't this something the regional training center can help with? Shouldn't they be able to help by bringing in some (big) guy to train at the next level and while doing so, provide some in-the-room competition? Really haven't heard too much from the regional training center on this front and I am under the impression that the "shelves are now bare" in terms of athletes. I know it's easier said than done, but where is the center at on this front? Anybody have any idea?
They are raising money to go after a big fish after the season.

mkm13

In a recent interview Bono said they have been talking to and hope to sign a couple athletes shortly after the season is over.  He said something along the lines of they are focusing on raising money as well as bringing in elite RTC athletes are are also focused on making UW better and have an interest in coaching.

I would guess Seth Gross is one of those. 

bigoil

You can't expect the BRTC to have an athlete at every weight class or even have more than one when it doesn't have the financial support. Go out and buy a raffle ticket. Come to the golf outing, sign up for annual giving.

An athlete will come to the BRTC and likely be a volunteer assistant. Volunteers make zero money. It actually costs something to house and feed an athlete. Let's raise the cash to bring in more than one athlete!  In the mean time they do invite wrestlers to visit I'm sure.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"