Ohio St... Sunday 3:00 pm (Sunday, Dec. 9, 2018)

Started by leg turk, December 03, 2018, 07:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

Prediction?

I don't think they have guys ranked at 165, or Hwt, so I'm hoping for bonus points there.  Otherwise, we really have to wrestle well, to not get it handed to us.  Hoping for an effort like they had in Nebraska.

Really hoping Brown will be back.

wrastle63

I predict wins for Wisco at 125, 165, 174, and HWT. We will lose the dual unless we get an upset but we should be favored at all of those weights.

mkm13

Singletary might not be ranked yet, but I expect that to be a tough match for Hillger.  He beat the 9th and 13th ranked HWT this weekend prior to losing to Orndorff 8-2.  As a reminder, Hillger came back to beat Orndorff in OT.  Singletary did MFF his final match this weekend so not sure if he will even be wrestling this coming weekend.  I would favor Hillger, but Singletary is pretty dangerous.

Campbell will also be a tough match for Christensen.  Hope Christensen can keep the momentum going. Since in my opinion they are pretty close and this is @ OSU, I am not sure I favor Christensen, but hope he pulls it out. 

wrastle63

Schierl and Spray were not teammates. Rival schools Stevens Point and Wisconsin Rapids.

leg turk

For those that didn't hear "Jump around Monday", the dual with Ohio St is on Sunday, the 9th, at 3:00 pm, and is on the BTN.

bigG

Sweet! Something good to watch on Sunday.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrastle63

WAYYYYYYY better than watching the Packers.

mkm13

Sounds like OSU is dealing with some injuries (Singletary, Romero, and Campbell). 

If they do not wrestle, they would open up the possibility of bonus points at those weights.  Assuming Brown wrestles and is healthy, he would be heavily favored as well.

OSU's other 6 weights are absolutely stacked. 

bigG

It would be a big win, either way. I would think Brown would be the difference maker. Still, you win/lose as a team and everyone will have a chance at heroics. The beauty of the dual.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrastle63

Looking at the probable lineups, Ohio State is likely to lose at least four matches. One upset and this dual could get tricky. I see Wisconsin getting bonus at 125 and 165, and possibly heavy if no Singletary.

Ohio State should get bonus at 184 and 197, and 133 and 149 are possibilities as well.

From the Ohio State forum.

lizard king

I for one am just looking forward to a competitive match.  It is/will be fun when teams like OSU come in and are actually concerned.  Win or loose it makes it easier to be a fan.

wrastle63

125: Mead v Brown 5-0 wisc
133: Pletcher v Lantz 5-3 Wisc
141: McKenna v Moran 6-5 tOSU
149: Micah v Martin or Model 10-5 tOSU
157: Hayes v Z. Wick or Spray 14-5 tOSU
165: Romero, Schierl or Ferro v E. Wick 14-10 tOSU
174: Campbell or Smith v Christensen 14-13 tOSU
184: Myles v Reinhardt 20-11 tOSU 19-13 tOSU
197: Moore v Salemme 24-13 tOSU
285: Singletary or Traub v Hillger 24-19 tOSU

I see this as a 1 match swing. If Pletcher or Hayes, who both have been known to wrestle conservative styles at times which allow opponents to hang around, get upset, OSU could be in trouble.

There team may not be concerned but the fans are. This is from their forum as well. They predict a major from Hayes over Zander. I don't see that happening at all.

leg turk

wrastle63

Quote from: Luke Louison on December 07, 2018, 08:53:12 AM
That's good detective work. I thought those were your predictions only to find out that's what they're predicting.

I'm not nearly as optimistic as you, wrastle63. I fall more in line with lizard king, excited that this is even competitive in year one.

The match we're getting credit for that I have very little confidence in is Brown. Tech Fall? This is his first match back from a scary looking injury, on the road. Let us not forget that in his signature win this year, a pin of NCAA qualifier Kyle Akins, he was trailing when it happened.

Here are my tiers:

We Are Going to Win:
Evan Wick v Fritz Schierl

We Are Probably Going to Win:
Trent Hillger v Gary Traub

Slight Edge, Us:
Ryan Christensen v Te'Shan Campbell

Toss-Up:
Connor Brown v Brakan Mead

Slight Edge, Them:
Zander Wick v Ke-Shawn Hayes

We Are Probably Going to Lose:
Tristan Moran v Joey McKenna
Cole Martin v Micah Jordan

We Are Going to Lose:
Jens Lantz v Luke Pletcher
Mason Reinhardt v Myles Martin
Andrew Salemme v Kollin Moore

It's not that we can't win five matches. It's just that I think we're more susceptible to being upset than upsetting them. Also, they have many more matches where bonus is possible. I'll be happy to come away with 4 wins.

When 2020-21 rolls around, I'll be disappointed if we don't take them down. That's the year.
I would agree with your tiers except for Brown. If he is able to wrestle he should win. I don't think he will win by tech but he will win. I have 4 wins for us with Brown, Wick, Christensen, and Hilger. We need one upset to have a chance at the dual in my opinion.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: wrastle63 on December 07, 2018, 09:00:38 AM
Quote from: Luke Louison on December 07, 2018, 08:53:12 AM
That's good detective work. I thought those were your predictions only to find out that's what they're predicting.

I'm not nearly as optimistic as you, wrastle63. I fall more in line with lizard king, excited that this is even competitive in year one.

The match we're getting credit for that I have very little confidence in is Brown. Tech Fall? This is his first match back from a scary looking injury, on the road. Let us not forget that in his signature win this year, a pin of NCAA qualifier Kyle Akins, he was trailing when it happened.

Here are my tiers:

We Are Going to Win:
Evan Wick v Fritz Schierl

We Are Probably Going to Win:
Trent Hillger v Gary Traub

Slight Edge, Us:
Ryan Christensen v Te'Shan Campbell

Toss-Up:
Connor Brown v Brakan Mead

Slight Edge, Them:
Zander Wick v Ke-Shawn Hayes

We Are Probably Going to Lose:
Tristan Moran v Joey McKenna
Cole Martin v Micah Jordan

We Are Going to Lose:
Jens Lantz v Luke Pletcher
Mason Reinhardt v Myles Martin
Andrew Salemme v Kollin Moore

It's not that we can't win five matches. It's just that I think we're more susceptible to being upset than upsetting them. Also, they have many more matches where bonus is possible. I'll be happy to come away with 4 wins.

When 2020-21 rolls around, I'll be disappointed if we don't take them down. That's the year.
I would agree with your tiers except for Brown. If he is able to wrestle he should win. I don't think he will win by tech but he will win. I have 4 wins for us with Brown, Wick, Christensen, and Hilger. We need one upset to have a chance at the dual in my opinion.

If we win 4 matches in year one, I would consider that a success!  If we somehow get a toss-up match and win 5, even if we lose the dual (probably due to their bonus points), I would think that would be absolutely phenomenal considering this is year 1!  I think this match is a great indicator for the future!