Weight loss%

Started by dforsythe, November 20, 2018, 08:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dforsythe

Is there a limit on the amount of weight you can lose in a week? If I have a 300 lb. wrestler, his 1.5% would be 4.5 lbs. Will he be able to lose that much or is there a limit no matter your size? Thanks.

Coach Q

It all depends on his skin fold result. Not likely but he could be a 300 lb kid with 4% body fat. The weight loss program spells it out day by day for the whole season what he can weigh in at once you put in the results and if you want to put in a guess weight in the practice part it will give the results there as well.
I have a 220 that can lose 3.4 lbs per week but my 120 lb will need about 5 weeks if he would want to drop to 113.
Hope this helps.

bigoil

He can lose more weight than allowed, he just won't qualify for the next weight down until his weight plan would allow it to. If he were 250 and dropped 30# in one week, he is still eligible to wrestle HWT, it just doesn't speed up his timeline to wrestle 220.

In the case of a 300# kid, he would have to wait ~3.5 weeks from his initial weigh in to wrestle 285 as he would be treated the same as a guy getting down to any other weight.

BSwagger

One other important point. The 1.5% is reset each time the kid weighs in if he doesn't lose his full 1.5% (or more) each week. Meaning: If the 300# kid can lose 4.5 lbs per week but in week 1 only loses 2# and weighs in again his lowest eligible weight the following week is 298-4.5=293.5 where his original schedule would have been 300-4.5-4.5=291. In either case lets say he weighed 285 after two weeks his weight loss schedule would use the 293.5 in scenario 1 and 291 in scenario 2 so it's important that they stay on or ahead of schedule to get there as quickly as possible. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty certain.