Author Topic: Sevastopol Wins First Eight-Player Football Title November 03, 2018  (Read 927 times)

Offline TomM

• Administrator
  • Comfortably Numb
    • Wisconsin Wrestling Online
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Offline Ghetto

• Comfortably Numb
    • Whitefish Bay Wrestling
Re: Sevastopol Wins First Eight-Player Football Title November 03, 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 04:12:42 PM »
Why would any high school have to have eight man football? Those coaches aren't doing their jobs recruiting. Other teams that size can do it. Look at the success of the other teams in that area who didn't have to resort to cutting down from 11 to 8. All they've done is cut opportunities for kids.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Offline TomM

• Administrator
  • Comfortably Numb
    • Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »
Why would any high school have to have eight man football? Those coaches aren't doing their jobs recruiting. Other teams that size can do it. Look at the success of the other teams in that area who didn't have to resort to cutting down from 11 to 8. All they've done is cut opportunities for kids.

;D
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Offline Troy Grindle

• One of My Turns
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 06:57:57 PM »
I think you will have a bunch of smaller schools (300 enrollment and below) go to an 8 man football over the next 5 years.  I also think the wiaa will go from 7 to 6 divisions in 11 man football in that same time and possibly even split the 8 man football into 2 divisions (large and small school) for better parody.  I think it might even bring some of the teams back that cooped years ago to have their own team.  It will be interesting to follow this over the next couple of year.  A lot of schools want their own team and not a coop.  Communities will buy into this more and more to save programs and have their own.

I wonder if it will ever be a possibility that the NFHS will ever consider a 8 player wrestling teams for smaller schools?  It would be strange at first but if it saved programs it would be a win for the smaller schools.  Only schools with 200 enrollment and below are eligible to be in the 8 player wrestling program?????  Smaller teams could opt into the 14 man team if they wanted to??

And then there was that.

Wisconsin Wrestling Online

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 06:57:57 PM »