2018 Worlds: 63 Kilograms Jess Thielke vs Donior Islamov

Started by TomM, October 25, 2018, 08:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

World Championships Day 6
2018 UWW World Championships in Budapest.

63 Kilograms
Jess Thielke vs Donior Islamov

Thielke immediately follows Perkins on mat C and draws Moldova. Islamov earns a passivity warning so he goes down on the mat and Thielke gets a point. Thielke wraps up a super tight gut and collects two turns to take a 5-0 lead. Islamov answers right back with a takedown and two turns of his own. The high scoring first period ends with Moldova in the lead 6-5. Big armspin from Islamov in the second is scored 2 for a correct throw as Thielke's back did not break the 90 degree plane to make it a 4 point move. A caution and 2 for negative wrestling by Islamov makes it 8-7 with under 20 seconds to go. But all Thielke gets in the final seconds is warning about head butts and Americans lose consecutive matches on mat C.

Islamov won his first match but was felled in the quarterfinals by Kazakhstan. Thielke's tournament is over.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6257531-world-championships-day-6-live-updates
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

And Thielke is not happy. Not happy about the training camp or how things were handled.

Is Lindland going to be out as the greco coach? I know JT isn't going to mince words, but how does that bode for the future if your athletes are outwardly upset with the training?

With the lack of results in greco, I'm gonna guess there will be a change at the head coaching position.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

imwi

He wasn't happy when he was at UW either and it doesn't seem he's been happy since.  Agree, the results today were dismal. 

bigoil

He said they have been in Europe, wrestling with their competition for the past 25 days.

In the summer Thielke said they lifted and conditioned.

Numbers

Quote from: imwi on October 25, 2018, 09:54:59 PM
He wasn't happy when he was at UW either and it doesn't seem he's been happy since.  Agree, the results today were dismal. 
You must not follow JT much.  JT appeared quite happy this spring. All that is still around the Internet.
I thought the Greco training plan appeared odd the last three weeks.  How does that schedule help an athlete peak?  All the other teams want to be mentally and physically rested before the event of the year.  It may have been different but it does not appear to be bringing better results for Greco USA.