Playoffs

Started by fastnfurious, October 05, 2018, 09:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastnfurious

Looking pretty good so far! Long way to go but man this is one dominant bullpen.

TomM

Just score more runs than the other team each game. Simple
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TomM

wrestlersdad

It was a great run.  Just a terrible time for the top half of the batting order to cool off.  What does the free agent status of this team look like?
When opportunity comes, its too late to prepare.

bkraus

Strive for Perfection

TomM

bigG

Quote from: wrestlersdad on October 22, 2018, 10:00:48 AM
It was a great run.  Just a terrible time for the top half of the batting order to cool off.  What does the free agent status of this team look like?

Yeah, the top kinda crapped the bed against LA. Next year's the year...BABY!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

That was a lot of fun. Never would have imagined the run they went on. One run just isn't going to do it.

Should be interesting for next year with all the major pieces coming back. Maybe Nelson will get healthy and add a quality arm to that rotation.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Houndhead

Quote from: wrestlersdad on October 22, 2018, 10:00:48 AM

Moose has a mutual option for $15 mil, which means both him and he team would need pick up the option. Eric Kratz, Wade Miley, Gio Gonzalas, Dan Jennings and Curtis Grandeson will be free agents.

Ghetto

Money wise, letting Moustakas go is probably the right move. He's a better than average defender, and has some power, but there are guys out there with similar stats that make much less.

I think they'll get Kratz at a decent enough dollar amount to keep him, and Miley is showing that he can be a consistent 4 or 5, so is worth the money he'll get. I'd like to see Gio Gonzales back on a team-friendly contract.

Jennings and Granderson are gone IMO. I think Stearns brought him in as a veteran presence for the playoffs only, and now that the Brewers have been there, they don't really need that. Jennings pitched his way out of Milwaukee for sure. He's supposed to get left handed hitters out. He simply didn't do that.

I think they'll try to trade some more outfield depth, and maybe Schoop needs a change of scenery to start hitting again. He was brought in for his bat and never did much.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

neutral

I'd like to see them put Shaw back as the regular 3B ... and see Schoop come out of the gate as the regular 2B. Perez can back-up anywhere in the IF

There's nothing they can do with Braun & Thames due to their contracts - so I'm sure we're going to see Braun continue as the regular LF ... and Thames as a back-up at 1B & LF.  Hopefully - Santana can be productive as a back-up RF when Yellich or Cain get a day off ... and as the inter-league DH.  Hopefully - Ray can find a spot by 2020.  I'm not sure if/how Broxton will develop without consistent Big League playing time (at this point) ... and have no idea where to find those innings - maybe a trade option ... if they can find a taker.

I have no clue what they'll do with SPs - assume Davies and Nelson will come back well? ... leave it to Burns and Woodruff? ... or get an FA (preferably not).  If they can get a bucket of balls for Anderson ... they should (just for the cap relief).  Hopefully Ray can find a spot by 2020.

RPs are good - as long as Suter lands there ... in place of Jennings.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

fastnfurious

We have plenty of rotation options. Chacin is solid, Jimmy is coming back, Burnes will be an ace one day. Freddy and Woodruff could be very good too. Davies is usually steady when healthy. I'm not ready to give up on Chase yet he has good stuff and his year wasn't horrible, just had some trouble with the longball especially in the first inning. If we're going to get a starter, it should not be for depth. It should be all in for someone like deGrom, maybe give up Freddy or Woodrufff to do it. It would be nice to get a little more length and take some of the pressure off the bullpen.

I agree with moving Shaw back to 3rd and giving Schoop a chance. He's a proven hitter after all who knows what happened this past half season. In today's day where offense is such a premium, I'd like to improve there at catcher. Someone like Realmuto or Ramos. After all, it was the offense that faltered in that LA series.