Cast Iron Cookware

Started by ramjet, September 11, 2018, 07:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Who uses it ? I am huge fan everything I cook on the Big Green Egg uses cast iron.

Top brands most desirable;

Griswold
Wagner
Smithy

I just had friend call me he purchased a table of cookware at a small auction on that table were both Wagner and Griswold cast iron pans. He paid only $50.00 got some back with small purchases of few items from the table. But he hit the gold mine with that cast iron cookware.

best hamburgers with great crust are made on cast iron.
Pot roast is unbeatable when made in a cast iron dutchnoven.
I made pheasant pot pies this weekend all the cooking of the rue and the meat was done on the grill in cast iron Dutch ovens.
Margarita pizza made on the grill in a cast iron pan is the bomb.
Steak nothing more can be said dry pat it and hit hard with high heat or reverse sear it then hit hard in the cast iron.

bigG

Gris is good stuff; but it can and will crack if you drop it. Crack whatever you drop it on, too. Wagner and Gris are produced by the same company, Erie. Nothing wrong with Lodge. I have several Erie pieces, but the new stuff with the smooth cooking surfaces I like better than the granier Lodge pieces; although I love the Lodge Dutch oven.

There is no grill, George Foreman, etc. that sears meat like CI.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on September 11, 2018, 09:20:11 AM
Gris is good stuff; but it can and will crack if you drop it. Crack whatever you drop it on, too. Wagner and Gris are produced by the same company, Erie. Nothing wrong with Lodge. I have several Erie pieces, but the new stuff with the smooth cooking surfaces I like better than the granier Lodge pieces; although I love the Lodge Dutch oven.

There is no grill, George Foreman, etc. that sears meat like CI.

I just picked up some Smithy very smooth and the food does not stick and it cleans up in snap. This Gris was baby smooth as is my Wagner Dutch oven the Lodge is a little rough but it works. I have two Dutch Ovens they are my favorite cooking utensils. I also,was given a segmented corn bread cast iron pan we love that thing for jalopeno corn bread.

bigG

Lodge has a nice carbon steel fry pan, also. Not so heavy; but the same effect as CI.

bigG

If you enjoy wok cooking, there's also a really nice carbon steel wok made in the USA. Very well made and pretty reasonable.
Some high scores on Chowhound.

https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/carbon-steel-pow-wok-hollow-metal-handle/

ramjet

Good options there even one that would work on the BGE . Flash cook high temp good crunch veggies delight.

bigG

Keep the snap in those veggies. I hear ya.