I hate what they're doing with/to Shaw ...

Started by neutral, August 16, 2018, 04:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neutral

He didn't produce in Boston because he didn't play regularly - so after being a huge contributor over the past 1.5+ years with the Brewers ... what do they do ... make him a part time player ... at a position he's never played before.  Then they take a 2B ... and make him primarily a SS - further messing with an already mediocre defense.  And when they do want to have their best defense in there - Arcia goes to SS, Schoop goes to 2B, and Shaw goes to the bench ... (if he's not there already).

I didn't like the Schoop move (along with the Moustakis move) - and I think the ambiguity of day-to-day status is hurting everybody besides Moustakis (who is a regular ... so not day-to-day ... and (almost) always at 3B).

As soon as I heard about the Schoop deal ... I was hoping they'd give Shaw a chance at SS - where he'd still be seeing the ball off the bat from closer to the same angle ... and his footwork for covering 2B on DPs would be more natural.  I know he's big for SS - but so was Ripken.    I'm not saying he could play SS like Ripken - but I'd bet he could play it as well or better than Schoop ... and then Schoop could focus on 2B.  Perez could back up all 3 positions offensively ... and Arcia could be a defensive SS and intentional runner.

I think everybody would do better with defined roles ... more closely aligned with what they're familiar with - and Shaw would get a fairer deal.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

Ghetto

Shaw needs to be on the field more. Totally agree. Schoop has been awful at the plate. It doesn't matter how good his defense is. Arcia as well.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

wrastle63

Agree that I wish they had a more consistent lineup. Moose has been a big upgrade though. He has hit well and his defense has been outstanding. Schoop had a very slow start but should hopefully get going.

Houndhead

I think Shaw has been ok at 2B. I like him at 2B with Moose at 3B. I don't know if Aug. was the best time to make that move. For Shaw, I think his power at a middle infield position makes him more valuable at contract time. Interesting to see if th Brewers pick up options on Moose and Schoop.