Rumors

Started by shakerag, July 30, 2018, 02:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barou

Quote from: npope on August 06, 2018, 04:06:45 PM
So, what is the deal with Ritter leaving? A big complaint of the Davis regime was that the communication with the fans (this forum) was too opaque. Now, out of the gates, we have a solid member of the team leaving, without so much as a boo on the forum. While I understand the delicate nature of the situation from Bono's perch, fans on the forum have far more freedom.

So, what the heck happened? Start a new thread if needed so if Tom feels some privacy issues are being invaded he can delete it without deleting this entire thread. But quite honestly, more than one of the forum posters was continually complaining about Davis' lack of transparency and now...some posters seem to have inside information and they choose to sit on it. Almost makes me think Davis wasn't the problem on this particular issue.

So, what's the deal? Luke? You seem to know something.

I completely agree with your post.  I'm glad Davis is gone definitely a step in the right direction but he kept info to the vest like he headed a national title contender protecting inside information.  So far the best information we've received is a post taken from The Guillotine.  Kind of disappointing. 
JHI Mafia

marshman

Quote from: Barou on August 07, 2018, 07:57:13 AM
So, what is the deal with Ritter leaving? A big complaint of the Davis regime was that the communication with the fans (this forum) was too opaque. Now, out of the gates, we have a solid member of the team leaving, without so much as a boo on the forum. While I understand the delicate nature of the situation from Bono's perch, fans on the forum have far more freedom.

So, what the heck happened? Start a new thread if needed so if Tom feels some privacy issues are being invaded he can delete it without deleting this entire thread. But quite honestly, more than one of the forum posters was continually complaining about Davis' lack of transparency and now...some posters seem to have inside information and they choose to sit on it. Almost makes me think Davis wasn't the problem on this particular issue.

I completely agree with your post.  I'm glad Davis is gone definitely a step in the right direction but he kept info to the vest like he headed a national title contender protecting inside information.  So far the best information we've received is a post taken from The Guillotine.  Kind of disappointing. 

All programs keep most information close to the vest, just part of running a program. Kind of like a tight knit family. Call it what you want but I don't think it was unusual under Coach Davis. Common place in college sports.

lizard king

I have to agree.  We need/want all the infor we can get, and a little more insight on upcoming matches or line-ups would be fun, but when it comes to issues with individual wrestlers, sorry they CAN'T give it out.  We just have to rely on message board gossip, that's why we come here!

Barou

Quote from: Luke Louison on August 07, 2018, 08:28:03 AM
Quote from: Barou on August 07, 2018, 07:57:13 AM

I completely agree with your post.  I'm glad Davis is gone definitely a step in the right direction but he kept info to the vest like he headed a national title contender protecting inside information.  So far the best information we've received is a post taken from The Guillotine.  Kind of disappointing.  

I, on the other hand, completely disagree.

When it comes to telling us the schedule, letting us know about ticket packages, announcing committed recruits, sure. Be forthcoming.

But when it comes to the inner-workings of the program, no, the fans do not need to know. The last time this came up was because people were pissed Barry didn't tell us enough about Zander's injury! "Violate HIPAA, Barry, we need some chatter on the message board." He was out, that's all we needed to know, and that's what Barry gave us.

With this Hunter Ritter situation, same deal. Wrestlers don't give up their right to privacy all because they put on the singlet.

I wasn't referring to an injury.  Some schools will issue statements about an athlete's release.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5967462-penn-state-releases-official-statement-regarding-nick-suriano
JHI Mafia

npope

Oh, I get the sensitive (and legal) nature of these kind of situations. That's why I don't send Bono an email asking him - instead I come on the forum where people aren't held to similar standards (and people like to spread gossip). When Davis held back, people were all over him like stink on poop; now suddenly the forum posters not only "get it," but also feel similarly compelled to honor the legal standards that only apply to the coaches and program administrators. Go figgir.

But I get it - nobody wants to spread ill will. Fair enough.

I only want to point out how vicious some posters were with Davis' handling of similar situations.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

MNbadger

+1
Quote from: npope on August 07, 2018, 10:34:53 AM
Oh, I get the sensitive (and legal) nature of these kind of situations. That's why I don't send Bono an email asking him - instead I come on the forum where people aren't held to similar standards (and people like to spread gossip). When Davis held back, people were all over him like stink on poop; now suddenly the forum posters not only "get it," but also feel similarly compelled to honor the legal standards that only apply to the coaches and program administrators. Go figgir.

I only want to point out how vicious some posters were with Davis' handling of similar situations.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

lizard king

Isn't that what forums are for?  Otherwise just read the statements they put out and figure that's all you get.  Heck this is for complaining, and gossip, and rumors, and bashing, and maybe even sometimes support and excitement about new things.  People on here really are not a legitimate source, just a fun source.  Yes, people cut on the past coaches, and yes they may start on the new ones eventually.  Yes some backed the old coaches and some will back the new coaches, who cares?  If you do, this is not the place to read.  The coaches should do what they have to do, no matter what us idiots on here say, but we will still talk about it.  Plus I can't get UW WI wrestling gossip anywhere else.

mkm13

Quote from: shakerag on August 07, 2018, 12:40:09 PM
Has Bono ever produced a successful upper weight wrestler?

Define successful?  Their 174 last year was an AA.  As a freshman he had 19 loses.

npope

Quote from: Luke Louison on August 07, 2018, 02:54:39 PM
Quote from: npope on August 07, 2018, 10:34:53 AM

It wasn't me bashing Barry's decision to withhold sensitive info. I was here saying "It's none our business when Zander will return. He'll be back when he's back."

Didn't mean to suggest that you specifically were in on the Barry Bashing feast but rather, I was speaking more broadly. You actually present yourself well.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

wrestlemania

"I only want to point out how vicious some posters were with Davis' handling of similar situations."

Indeed especially when he wasn't exactly unusual among college coaches not calling press conferences when athletes transfer or leave the program. Some programs do give out statements but they're not going to be very detailed.

I think where some fans had a problem with the Davis regime was the lack of overall promotion of the whole program (which feeds back into the "lack of news" meme). Bono, I believe, has a better grasp of PR given his sales background and realizes he has the opportunity and the fan base hungry for wrestling info and is willing to work to push wrestling into the UW fans' sports conscience. A successful program could easily have as rabid a fan base as UW volleyball for example. But that kind of publicity is different than such transparency to where the team's internal issues are publicized. In that, Bono isn't going to be any different than Davis or hundreds of other coaches.

But the bottom line is for the UW Wrestling program to transform itself then Bono has to win on the team level greater than before and has to bring in the wrestlers to do this. It will take many changes to do this and it will take time. The best promotion for the program is not just press releases but championships, pure and simple.

dad 2 5

Quote from: wrestlemania on August 25, 2018, 02:40:17 PM
"I only want to point out how vicious some posters were with Davis' handling of similar situations."

Indeed especially when he wasn't exactly unusual among college coaches not calling press conferences when athletes transfer or leave the program. Some programs do give out statements but they're not going to be very detailed.

I think where some fans had a problem with the Davis regime was the lack of overall promotion of the whole program (which feeds back into the "lack of news" meme). Bono, I believe, has a better grasp of PR given his sales background and realizes he has the opportunity and the fan base hungry for wrestling info and is willing to work to push wrestling into the UW fans' sports conscience. A successful program could easily have as rabid a fan base as UW volleyball for example. But that kind of publicity is different than such transparency to where the team's internal issues are publicized. In that, Bono isn't going to be any different than Davis or hundreds of other coaches.

But the bottom line is for the UW Wrestling program to transform itself then Bono has to win on the team level greater than before and has to bring in the wrestlers to do this. It will take many changes to do this and it will take time. The best promotion for the program is not just press releases but championships, pure and simple.

With that said and I think there are good points, what are your expectations for the coming season; in Bono's third season and his fifth season? I am sure Luke can give us a matrix with record projects!