School loyalty out the window for AAU super teams

Started by bigoil, July 29, 2018, 10:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Exactly what I thought.

Ah, you remember OE. I picked bazillions of those bottles out of Washington Park lagoon in the late 80's and early 90's. (I worked there; wasn't just collecting for fun.) Had a bottle burst in my hand and cut it up good.

Thanks for the memory. Personally, I'm a St. Ides man. Uff. Lazer had a nice kick to it, too. They wiped Colt 45 off the map, G!!

Don't see much malt lickah deez days. Mickey's has survived them all. Dah big mout'!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Houndhead

Quote from: MNbadger on August 10, 2018, 03:30:26 PM
Do you really think Algebra II is different in say Watertown vs. Brown Deer? 
If OE was for academic reasons, the student would go to the OE school and compete athletically at their school of attendance area.
Have you ever witnessed a student athlete OE to a school with a weaker athletic program?........neither have I.
Quote from: ramjet on August 10, 2018, 03:10:53 PM
Quote from: imnofish on July 30, 2018, 10:50:16 AM
What makes you so sure they all aren't travelling there for academic reasons?   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)   One more reason to love open enrollment?   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

From a parents perspective OE is fantastic. I think it good for education get better or get less enrollment. Simple formula.

I would say that 90% of the open enrollment in this area has nothing to do with sports. Park Falls and Gliidden schools consolidated to form the Chequamagon school district. The Butternut school district lies in between those two. Many families OE for many different reasons, but I think sports is low on the list. The Butternut district offers up to $20,000 in scholariships depending on how many years you attend school there. My nephew is in the Mercer school district but OE in Butternut because his parents work closer to that district and it is more convenient travel for school and school events.

bigG

We've had mucho OE, and none have had to do with sports. Fresh start is a big one. Our brand of discipline and accountability is another. We try to find the right balance of progressive and old school. Some love it, others, not as much. Still we get many more than we lose. If you don't want the truancy officer (me) coming to your house and banging on the door, because you couldn't find the motivation to get up and come to school, this isn't your district. I will be there. :) I love to see a kid who struggled find friends, success and a comfy new school.

MNbadger

Interesting to hear your experiences.  As I stated previously, I have only seen OE done for athletics. 
I suppose I should rephrase what I have seen...The OE I see is all athletes.  I don't really have the access to know how many kids OE that are not in sports.
Of the ones in sports, I will say they all are for sports.   
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

MNbadger

While some can be for social reasons, if they were moving for academics;
https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/wisconsin/rankings

The new deal here is to OE claiming you are being bullied.  Bullying is serious business but an AD is never going to question it.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Houndhead

Quote from: MNbadger on August 13, 2018, 02:37:34 PM
Interesting to hear your experiences.  As I stated previously, I have only seen OE done for athletics. 
I suppose I should rephrase what I have seen...The OE I see is all athletes.  I don't really have the access to know how many kids OE that are not in sports.
Of the ones in sports, I will say they all are for sports.   

I'm guessing Big G and I experiences are more with smaller rural schools and your's are are more larger and urban. That might explain the differences.

bigG

That, and where I am, we have bigger schools (LaX Central) and middlers (Westby) and dinkers (Cashton). Many parents want the "get to know everyone" experience as it's hard to hide a drug issue, social issue, when everyone knows you and where you were last night. I also think (surprisingly) that our academic flexibility plays big. I think people are surprised when they visit to see how our little school can offer more options than the big one down the road. If you're a future operating engineer, we'll try to get you experience, ASAP, so you can get a real feel for what that the career is really like. Then, if you feel that's your thing, we'll get you classes and an apprenticeship. I went on +/- 25 different post-secondary school tours last year. I don't think that's practical for bigger schools. You just can't tell if UW-River Falls feels right unless you go there. Then, go back on your own and spend a day in a few classes in the major(s) you're considering. We're very flexible, and , in any given year, I sort of have to invent an internship for a kid in an area that offers no apprenticeships (IT and Law-for example).

I do think in bigger cities, where most high schools are big, there're less stark differences among those schools as there might be between a 2,000 kid school and a 180 kid school. So you have social and academic advantages to each. Bullying happens in every school, whether you believe it or not. Yes, we go after bullies with the crabby face; but I like to see what , in  the bullies world, might be a cause; and teach the victim self-advocacy skills for better handling harassment on their own. They'll meet much meaner/tactful bullies in the adult world, most probably.

bigoil

Quote from: bigG on August 14, 2018, 07:45:30 AM
That, and where I am, we have bigger schools (LaX Central) and middlers (Westby) and dinkers (Cashton). Many parents want the "get to know everyone" experience as it's hard to hide a drug issue, social issue when everyone knows you and where you were last night. I also think (surprisingly) that our academic flexibility plays big. If you're a future operating engineer, we'll try to get you experience, ASAP, so you can get a real feel for what that career is like. Then, if you feel that's your thing, we'll get you classes and an apprenticeship. I went on +/- 25 different post-secondary school tours last year. I don't think that's practical for bigger schools. You just can't tell if UW-River Falls feels right unless you go there. Then, go back on your own and spend a day in a few classes in the major(s) you're considering.
I have seen both, Appleton may have by far the most OE in as they have quite the charter school programs from what I understand. Kaukauna has by far the most OE out of a school system up here besides Green Bay according to the statistics I have seen. They definitely have had some OE in with wrestling and Basketball recently with the McCabe era but they had quite a few suicides that may have led to the OE out.

bigG

Yeah, those are stats parents really look at. Hope I don't jinx myself, but I haven't had a pregnancy (close calls, though) nor suicide since I began as counselor. Years ago, we had a suicide that had graduated 4 years prior to the event. I got the note. You never forget stuff like that. I read that email and PRAY it never happens again. That said, nice stats aren't my doing so much as healthy norms the kids bring in. Good parents + good kids + good educators=good school. Build all the bells and whistles you want into a school... you get those 3, you'll be okay. Nobody has to be perfect; just honest and dedicated.

imnofish

Some friends open enrolled their kids in a school that is very athletically competitive.  They told me that it is a major factor in the school's upsurge in open enrollment.  Yes, they have a child whom is an exceptional athlete...   I won't identify the district, because it wouldn't be fair to them, or their families, to label them on the basis of anecdotal information.  However, I did find it very interesting, since this is not the first time I've been told this by a parent.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!