School loyalty out the window for AAU super teams

Started by bigoil, July 29, 2018, 10:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigoil

According to 24/7 Nicolet now has the Top 3 players in the state for the Class of 2020.

Jalen Johnson - 5 ⭐️ Transferring from Sun Prairie
Jamari Sibley - 4 ⭐️
Desmond Polk - 4 ⭐️ Transferring from New Berlin (West I think)

Plus Johnson's little brother and rumors of another AAU teammate joining them as well. Golden State Knights is Nicolet (Tom wasn't this your alma mater?).

Stay at your school, if you are that good (already offers or interest from Duke, KY, MU, WI, Etc. You aren't going to be watched on the HS Team, they are watching you at the AAU. Similar to wrestling, the elite programs are at Fargo, super 32, Flo Nationals, not really recruiting the cheesehead despite the talent that is there. UW might have someone but I haven't seen Carl Sanderson or John Smith there yet :) imagine if several cadet dual members transferred to one school, hope we never see that.

MNbadger

Been happening here for 30 plus years Big oil.......I see both sides of it.  The stories I have seen...
Quote from: bigoil on July 29, 2018, 10:28:47 PM
According to 24/7 Nicolet now has the Top 3 players in the state for the Class of 2020.

Jamari Sibley - 4 ⭐️

Plus Johnson's little brother and rumors of another AAU teammate joining them as well. Golden State Knights is Nicolet (Tom wasn't this your alma mater?).

Stay at your school, if you are that good (already offers or interest from Duke, KY, MU, WI, Etc. You aren't going to be watched on the HS Team, they are watching you at the AAU. Similar to wrestling, the elite programs are at Fargo, super 32, Flo Nationals, not really recruiting the cheesehead despite the talent that is there. UW might have someone but I haven't seen Carl Sanderson or John Smith there yet :) imagine if several cadet dual members transferred to one school, hope we never see that.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

bigoil

Quote from: MNbadger on July 30, 2018, 06:33:09 AM
Been happening here for 30 plus years Big oil.......I see both sides of it.  The stories I have seen...

Jamari Sibley - 4 ⭐️

Of course this has happened, but this is unprecedented. The top 3 juniors in the state will play together and it isn't like they just changed schools in Milwaukee which happens fairly regularly. One kid is moving :30 min, the other 1h 30M and rumor of a kid from Baton Rouge joining the team as well (he plays on the same AAU team as the other 3). Plus they have one of top Frosh joining them as well moving with his brother.

MNbadger

Not the least bit unprecedented here in Minnesota.  As WI wrestling gets better this will happen with wrestling more and more and more too. 
Quote from: bigoil on July 30, 2018, 07:48:41 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on July 30, 2018, 06:33:09 AM

Jamari Sibley - 4 ⭐️

Of course this has happened, but this is unprecedented. The top 3 juniors in the state will play together and it isn't like they just changed schools in Milwaukee which happens fairly regularly. One kid is moving :30 min, the other 1h 30M and rumor of a kid from Baton Rouge joining the team as well (he plays on the same AAU team as the other 3). Plus they have one of top Frosh joining them as well moving with his brother.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

wrastle63

It has happened in Wisconsin already maybe just not at the level that bigoil has shown. One kid I had previously coached has been at 4 different schools in the past 5 years without moving.

bigoil

Quote from: wrastle63 on July 30, 2018, 10:35:44 AM
It has happened in Wisconsin already maybe just not at the level that bigoil has shown. One kid I had previously coached has been at 4 different schools in the past 5 years without moving.
No doubt it has happened and will continue to I'm sure. We've seen players follow coaches like Diener around in MKE, some transfer to play with McCabe in hoops. While I'm sure people transfer and move into Arrowhead and Kimberly for FB, I've not seen someone of this persons stature do it. He's either the best player in WI or the second best depending on what rankings  you look at.

Wrestling, been going on for quite some time but this move is the equivalent of the Cadet state team getting together and saying half of them are going to some random school. We see move ins to the best schools in every sport, like FB above because of tradition, etc.

Ghetto, hold a wrestling fundraiser when Bay plays Nicolet :)

imnofish

What makes you so sure they all aren't travelling there for academic reasons?   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)   One more reason to love open enrollment?   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigoil

Nicolet is a great school, after all it gave us Oprah!!

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ramjet

Quote from: imnofish on July 30, 2018, 10:50:16 AM
What makes you so sure they all aren't travelling there for academic reasons?   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)   One more reason to love open enrollment?   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

From a parents perspective OE is fantastic. I think it good for education get better or get less enrollment. Simple formula.

MNbadger

Do you really think Algebra II is different in say Watertown vs. Brown Deer? 
If OE was for academic reasons, the student would go to the OE school and compete athletically at their school of attendance area.
Have you ever witnessed a student athlete OE to a school with a weaker athletic program?........neither have I.
Quote from: ramjet on August 10, 2018, 03:10:53 PM

From a parents perspective OE is fantastic. I think it good for education get better or get less enrollment. Simple formula.

bigG

Quote from: MNbadger on August 10, 2018, 03:30:26 PM
If OE was for academic reasons, the student would go to the OE school and compete athletically at their school of attendance area.
Have you ever witnessed a student athlete OE to a school with a weaker athletic program?........neither have I.

I have a wrestler coming up who could be very good, if he dedicates. He was OE for reasons other than sports. Some schools are just a better fit for some kids. My school offers quite a bit more personalization than the bigger ones. Many kids do better in an "old school" environment; whereas I've had others move out sought a curriculum with a more art focus.

"Now the world don't move to the beat of just one drum..."
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MNbadger

My experience has shown me that the differences amongst schools is mostly perception.
Having said that, what I find interesting is that literally all the OE I have seen here in thirty years has been for athletics, not education.  If it weren't, athletes would be flocking to schools like Minneapolis Southwest (for a very long time one of the top ranked schools academically but most certainly not strong in athletics). At best, the OE moves are lateral academically.
I agree that everyone follows the beat of their own drum but it kind of runs counter to the "pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps" idea........
Quote from: bigG on August 10, 2018, 05:45:10 PM
Quote from: MNbadger on August 10, 2018, 03:30:26 PM

I have a wrestler coming up who could be very good, if he dedicates. He was OE for reasons other than sports. Some schools are just a better fit for some kids. My school offers quite a bit more personalization than the bigger ones. Many kids do better in an "old school" environment; whereas I've had others move out sought a curriculum with a more art focus.

"Now the world don't move to the beat of just one drum..."

ramjet

MnBadger Math is math you are correct. That said not all teachers are created equal. Not all schools are created equal. Parents should have the choice and the option to choose what they believe is the best fir their child's education or even sports experience. Individual choice is a fantastic way to foster improvement and growth. I know this may not agree with your opinion but it's mine and I stand behind the premise of choice for the education and parents should make that choice with derp thought and what's best for the young folks they have responsibility for.

Ghetto

Does anyone else laugh when they read OE is good for kids?

When I hear OE (or read it in this case) I read Old English. That stuff isn't good for anyone.  ;)
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove