How bout them Brewers

Started by fastnfurious, May 31, 2018, 10:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastnfurious

Playing great, the most excited I've been about this team in a long time (probably ever since I wasn't around for the Yount/Moliter days). Shutdown bullpen, explosive offense (besides the bottom of the order), and the rotation is holding up despite not making any big improvements in the off season. And as great as they've been, there's plenty of room for improvement at the deadline (ace, 2nd, catcher) and they have the pieces to get it done.

bigG

Things are looking very promising. Our bullpen is kickin' but starters are holding okay.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrastle63

Quote from: fastnfurious on May 31, 2018, 10:32:31 PM
Playing great, the most excited I've been about this team in a long time (probably ever since I wasn't around for the Yount/Moliter days). Shutdown bullpen, explosive offense (besides the bottom of the order), and the rotation is holding up despite not making any big improvements in the off season. And as great as they've been, there's plenty of room for improvement at the deadline (ace, 2nd, catcher) and they have the pieces to get it done.
Agreed I would rather have them trade for a 2nd basemen than a starting pitcher at this point, because of cost and need. There aren't many aces on the market.

Ghetto

The Brewers have five guys who can play second. No reason to spend cash on that spot. All are viable options and aren't a huge detriment to the team. Their top prospect, though only in A+ ball right now is gonna hhave a quicker trajectory because he played college ball. He will be here in 2 years or so.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

leg turk

At Philly this weekend, and then the Cubs at home.  Could be a very important stretch for them.  Lost 3 in a row now.  Time to turn it around.  I'm hoping they go after starting pitching.

wrastle63

Quote from: Ghetto on June 01, 2018, 09:08:54 PM
The Brewers have five guys who can play second. No reason to spend cash on that spot. All are viable options and aren't a huge detriment to the team. Their top prospect, though only in A+ ball right now is gonna hhave a quicker trajectory because he played college ball. He will be here in 2 years or so.
I see he is in AA now so maybe they ride out this year and bring him up next year. Or possibly trade for a rental player.

maggie

Relax Men ! not even half over yet !      :)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Houndhead

Great 1st half of the season for the Brewers. The starting pitching has been much better than I expected. The bullpen has been lights out. Too many people worrying about the Cubs. I only care what the Cubs do when we play them. If we win 95 games and don't win the division, then I will tip my hat to the Cubs. If the Brewers make a trade, I hope it is for someone that is under control for a few years, and not a 1/2 season rental. My advice to Brewer fans, is enjoy the season. Years like this don't come along often for Brewer fans.

maggie

our bullpen seems to be getting tired.... :(
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

TomM

Quote from: maggie on July 08, 2018, 07:11:36 AM
our bullpen seems to be getting tired.... :(

Get them cpap machines
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

The one thing you can count on the Brewers to do is to cycle through relief arms. I've never seen a Brewers team make so many in season moves with their minor league guys. Hader and Jeffress need to get rest to be dominant later in the season.

I also think that Stearns is using the 10 day DL as rest.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ElectricGuy

I have never seen the minors used like Sterns has used it the past two years.  I think it's absolutely brilliant, expanding your roster and just rotating through the last couple on your bench in the bullpen.   I'm sure you will start seeing other teams copping his practice.

The other thing that is a breath of fresh air, your not performing - go down for a while and figure it out.  Broxton, Arcia, Santana, Barnes (all had options, so no risk)  then you have Bandy and Sogard even without options Sterns wasn't afraid to DFA

I remember years where we had poor performance out of some and we would just ride it out,  yea if your rebuilding, but when your in contention there isn't time for that.  How many slumps did we live through with Casey MaGee, Weeks, Bill Hall, Suppan, Manny Parra, etc.....   

Stearns doesn't seem to mind pulling the plug on a bad signing over the past two years either -- Nateli Faliz, Sogard, Drake, Franklin, Boone Logan, etc..  All signed nice little contracts and he jettisoned when they didn't perform

They were actually reporting today they thought the issue last night with Hader was too much rest (6 days since last game) - I was looking can you believe that kid since May 6th before last night had only give up 2 runs in that time...    :o    I will admit, was nervous when your seeing a fastball at 91 and then the trainer comes out.
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

fastnfurious

Aguilar is winning the NL final vote for the all star game, don't forget to keep voting for him! He is having a fantastic year and deserves it. Voting ends tomorrow at 3 P.M. Central.

Houndhead

Can the Brewers catch and pass the Cubs for the division title? unfortunately even if they win the division they will still play the Cubs or Cards in the 1st round of playoffs. My biggest fear is that the Brewers will win the division and lose a series to the Cubs in the playffs.

wrastle63

Interesting the Cubs won against the Nats in extra innings, but Strop one of their best relievers pulled a hammy. They are saying he will be out for awhile which will hurt them a lot.