Cedarburg Grad Ipsarides Earns Big Ten Postgraduate Scholarship

Started by TomM, May 10, 2018, 03:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

NU: Ipsarides, Lafitte Earn Big Ten Postgraduate Scholarships

For Immediate Release | May 10, 2018

Release Available Online: http://bit.ly/2Ke2BSB

NU: Ipsarides, Lafitte Earn Big Ten Postgraduate Scholarships
EVANSTON, Ill. — Two Northwestern student-athletes, Jason Ipsarides of wrestling and Lyndsey Lafitte of lacrosse, have been awarded Big Ten Postgraduate Scholarships, the conference office announced Thursday.

A pair of student-athletes from each of the 14 Big Ten institutions who plan to continue their educations were each awarded a $7,500 scholarship based on their academic achievement.

Ipsarides will graduate in June with a degree in sociology. The native of Cedarburg, Wisconsin, will complete his education from the University in only three years.

In August, Ipsarides will start a direct entry accelerated master's in nursing program at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

A two-time Academic All-Big Ten recipient, Ipsarides started every dual of the 2016-17 season at 133 lbs. for Chicago's Big Ten Team and ranked fifth on the squad with eight dual wins.

"I could not be more thankful for receiving the Big Ten Postgraduate Scholarship," said Ipsarides. "This will be an influential contribution to the investment in my future education as a nurse practitioner."

Lafitte will graduate in June with a degree in neuroscience and will begin medical school in the fall of 2019.

A native of Houston, Texas, Lafitte earned Academic All-Big Ten honors in 2016 after appearing in 15 games and making seven starts on defense. Both of Lafitte's last two seasons were lost due to injury.

"I am so grateful for being selected as a recipient of the Big Ten Postgraduate Scholarship amongst all the incredibly qualified student athletes," said Lafitte. "I am excited to take the next step towards my lifelong dream of becoming a physician. I appreciate the continued support of Northwestern and the Big Ten in helping me achieve my goals on and off the field."

In order to be eligible, student-athletes must have maintained at least a 3.2 GPA, demonstrated leadership qualities, served as an excellent role model and intend to continue their academic work in a graduate degree program.

The scholarship will be used to pay expenses of the student's postgraduate education to include such activities as research and teaching, as well as other expenses such as tuition, fees, room and board, required course-related supplies and books. In order to retain the scholarship, the recipient must be accepted into a full-time graduate degree program within three years from the fall semester after selection.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

Good stuff. $7,500 at Marquette will buy some lunch; but nice to get a little something.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Riddle