Desanto to Iowa

Started by leg turk, April 29, 2018, 09:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GradeTough

Barou

I hate to say it but that was probably the best place for Desanto to go.  When reading about his condition it sounds like wrestling is the only thing he socializes about.  Probably no better place to be than Iowa if that's the case.

Perfect fit for that lineup.  Depending on what Ohio State does with all their redshirt options I'd say Iowa is the #2 ranked team going into next year.
JHI Mafia

Ghetto

With a gas tank, he's a title contender.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigG

Quote from: Ghetto on April 30, 2018, 09:02:46 PM
With a gas tank, he's a title contender.

One thing Iowa's good fer....gas.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bkraus

Am I the only one who thinks this is not a huge deal.  Could he be big at Iowa, sure.  But I have a feeling he will do something to muck it all up and will not finish at Iowa.
Strive for Perfection

GradeTough

Quote from: bkraus on May 01, 2018, 09:06:59 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this is not a huge deal.  Could he be big at Iowa, sure.  But I have a feeling he will do something to muck it all up and will not finish at Iowa.

It is a big win for them because he wrestles a traditional Iowa style. Folks are betting on the fact the Coaching staff will be able to manage his behavior and put him in a position to challenge for AA and a championship.

imnofish

I expect that his desire to wrestle the best will be realized in the practice room and help keep him focused on being the best.  Hopefully, the coaches get good guidance in dealing with the special challenges that his autism presents. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

wrastle63

Quote from: GradeTough on May 01, 2018, 11:48:08 AM

It is a big win for them because he wrestles a traditional Iowa style. Folks are betting on the fact the Coaching staff will be able to manage his behavior and put him in a position to challenge for AA and a championship.
Exactly he is more Iowa style than most of their team. He is always pushing the pace in his matches. His gas tank isn't an issue. He needs to tighten up his technique which Tom and Terry will be able to do.

Ghetto

Quote from: wrastle63 on May 02, 2018, 04:02:35 PM

Exactly he is more Iowa style than most of their team. He is always pushing the pace in his matches. His gas tank isn't an issue. He needs to tighten up his technique which Tom and Terry will be able to do.

I know we've disagreed on this before, but I'll go again. The only matches I watched were at NCAA's, so take this with a grain of salt...

It seemed that if guys were able to weather the initial storm, they would then be able to score as DeSanto's pace slowed. He spent an entire third period with his head in the mat and lost after taking on a bunch of stalling calls. To me that's a gas tank issue.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

imnofish

Quote from: Ghetto on May 02, 2018, 08:33:54 PM

I know we've disagreed on this before, but I'll go again. The only matches I watched were at NCAA's, so take this with a grain of salt...

It seemed that if guys were able to weather the initial storm, they would then be able to score as DeSanto's pace slowed. He spent an entire third period with his head in the mat and lost after taking on a bunch of stalling calls. To me that's a gas tank issue.

Sounds like he needs to learn how to manage his energy expenditure better, more than anything.  I expect that his new coaches will be working a lot on that issue.  Going in high-energy bursts is fine, if you aren't wasting a lot of energy in between them with wasted motion and sloppy technique.  The pace of his match is just unrealistic vs the top competitors at this level.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

wrastle63

Quote from: imnofish on May 02, 2018, 09:42:41 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on May 02, 2018, 08:33:54 PM

Sounds like he needs to learn how to manage his energy expenditure better, more than anything.  I expect that his new coaches will be working a lot on that issue.  Going in high-energy bursts is fine, if you aren't wasting a lot of energy in between them with wasted motion and sloppy technique.  The pace of his match is just unrealistic vs the top competitors at this level.
Most recent full match on flowrestling against a high level guy in Terao.
https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6131311-133-lbs-3rd-place-josh-terao-american-vs-austin-desanto-drexel

imnofish is correct he needs to manage his energy use better, but he doesn't have a gas tank issue. He busts his tail in matches and has a very high pace. Working with Tom and Terry he will continue to use a high pace, but understand when to take it down a notch. Wrestling with Spencer Lee will obviously help.

wrastle63

Iowa fans think he will place top 4 now that he is at Iowa. I don't see that happening after how he did last year. He needs to not flip out when he loses.