Dessert what's your favorite?

Started by ramjet, April 27, 2018, 08:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Good point. I'd hate to try to push that combo.  :)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

Rhubarb crumble that is really fantastic in season...... ;D

bigG

Rhubarb is one thing that brings me back to my youngest memories. Since I was little I've loved it raw. A crumble or sheet cake of rhubarb is just heaven to me. Not gonna be long for the rhubarb to be ready.

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on May 03, 2018, 02:53:45 PM
Rhubarb is one thing that brings me back to my youngest memories. Since I was little I've loved it raw. A crumble or sheet cake of rhubarb is just heaven to me. Not gonna be long for the rhubarb to be ready.

Right and I love that stuff!

bigG

Also makes among the easiest wines. Great stuff and easy to do.

imnofish

Our daughter-in-law made a rhubarb sauce that was amazing on vanilla ice cream.   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Care to share (the recipe, that is)?

imnofish

I will check with her and see if she still has the recipe. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

INGREDIENTS
1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup buttermilk
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 to 2 cups finely diced rhubarb, 1/4-inch cuts
1/2 cup chopped nuts
DIRECTIONS
In a bowl, combine the sugar and oil; blend in egg, vanilla and milk. Combine flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda; add to moist ingredients. Stir in rhubarb and nuts. Transfer to two well-greased 8x4-in. loaf pans.
Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.

One of my favorite recipes is rhubarb bread. I use walnuts, which , IMHO, is the best match for the rhubarb.

ramjet

Now that sounds absolutely fantastic. Might have to have the Mrs put that together then spend an extra hour on the Bulgarian Bag workout....😎

imnofish

Okay guys, I messaged my daughter-in-law and this is her response: 

It doesn't really have a set recipe, but I'll share! Just chopped rhubarb in a pot, a little water so the pan doesn't scorch, cook it down, add sugar to taste. I like to add a package of raspberry or strawberry Jello as well.

Personally, I love the stuff on vanilla ice cream. 

ramjet