Speculation

Started by leg turk, April 06, 2018, 07:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

So, lets say 2 or 3 of Bono's SDSU recruits follow him to Madison.  How does that work with scholarship money, wouldn't that money all be used up already?  Would they restructure everyone's scholarship deal that are here already, to make room for the new guys?  Or would the transfers just have to walk on with no scholarship help?  If it's the latter, that would make it tough on them, unless their parents are wealthy.

harley

Reconstruction of scholarships happens on a yearly basis so I do not think this would be that big of an impact, if you want to keep your money or get more it is all about performance

Handles II

This sport needs more scholarship money.  9.9 is 1. a completely weird number when there are 10 weights. 2. Shouldn't football give us at least 3-5 of theirs, since wrestling has helped so many of their athletes??

DocWrestling

So many of the scholarship limits have funny numbers like 9.9.  Not sure why?

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html

Some sports like the main revenue sports can only give out full scholarships and then the rest can divide them up however they want and change year to year.  Obviously partial scholarships are greatly affected by in state and out of state tuition.

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

wrastle63

They will make it work  ;)

MNbadger

Athletic scholarships are renewed yearly so yes, they are lying.  A few years ago the big conferences went to a "4 year full ride"(for football and basketball I believe).  I don't think this is for non-revenue sports however but I could be wrong.  It has been a while since I coached someone who got a scholarship.  They can still get rid of athletes if they want to badly enough.  This is why you'll find kids "disappear" from football rosters from year to year.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

harley

Quote from: MNbadger on April 06, 2018, 04:58:15 PM
Athletic scholarships are renewed yearly so yes, they are lying.  A few years ago the big conferences went to a "4 year full ride"(for football and basketball I believe).  I don't think this is for non-revenue sports however but I could be wrong.  It has been a while since I coached someone who got a scholarship.  They can still get rid of athletes if they want to badly enough.  This is why you'll find kids "disappear" from football rosters from year to year.

Speaking from our experience it is/was basically a 1 year contract/scholarship, there were meetings at the end of the year where all scholarships were reviewed and adjusted based on performance as well as a few other factors, I don't what to say someone was lying but this is how it worked for us.

smitty71

Quote from: grappler6 on April 06, 2018, 10:14:16 AM
There used to be 11. Then they did a 10% cut across most sports. Bringing wrestling to 9.9. Not sure when this occurred.
About the time of title IX I am guessing.....
What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

3wrestle

Quote from: thedecider on April 06, 2018, 03:11:18 PM
Quote from: harley on April 06, 2018, 08:01:43 AM
Reconstruction of scholarships happens on a yearly basis so I do not think this would be that big of an impact, if you want to keep your money or get more it is all about performance

Wait a second, are you saying that the scholarship amount a kid gets isn't locked in when they sign their letter of intent?  What's with people saying their kid has a four year full-ride scholarship?  Do they not understand the process or are they lying?

A friends son is at Nebraska he was offered X% for 4 years and told they would figure year 5 out later,  plus he was given a substantial acedemic scholarship for his ACT score , he took several visits and one school offered X amount of money not a %,

In our experience one school offered X% the first year ( different percent the first year -  And then X% for years 2-5 (same percent each year)

And the other school was an average of X% for 5 years

The kids we know that have been through this process have not just been offered one year, but years ago that may have been the case or different conferences may do it differently

DocWrestling

From what I know all scholarships are one year deals in all sports.  Someone said earlier and some conferences in some sports now now guarantee four years but that is mostly in revenue sports.  They are using that as a recruiting tool versus maybe the SEC in football.

With that said almost all scholarship offers have been honored for 4 years and five in some.  Schools/coaches would get a bad reputation of not renewing scholarships and they would stop getting recruits.

In non-revenue sports it can be a vicious world.  Many get scholarships but nobody really ever knows how much it is or what percentage it is. Then it absolutely happens where thing are adjusted after 2-3 years of an athlete in the program.  If a wrestler has been in the program for two years and is buried on the depth chart but yet is getting a 50% scholarship it can and often gets adjusted.  It depends on talent on and off the mat as well as what recruits they may need to bring in.  That year they may need some extra scholarship money.

Also remember that in state and out of state tuition matters.  A wrestler might end up paying less to walk on at Wisconsin than get a 25% scholarship to Penn St.

The true winners are those SMART kids who are outstanding wrestlers.  They earn athletic scholarships at one percentage and then the athletic department helps them find academic scholarships also.  Those are the true student-athletes being rewarded with getting a higher percentage of college covered.

Coaches have a tough time balancing that 9.9 with present studs, roster depth for future starters, and then for incoming recruits.  That is why in-state kids and smart kids really can help a wrestling team.

There are really not that many wrestlers on full scholarship for all 4-5 years like in football and basketball.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Handles II

In-state, out-of-state doesn't matter with the scholarships for the coaching staff. It's 9.9.  If two kids each get a 10% scholarship it's off of their tuition amount, not a  dollar amount be they in or out of state. So to clarify, it doesn't "cost" the team more in scholarships to court out-of-state kids.

For an individual kid or their family, sure, walking on at Wisconsin would be cheaper than a 10% scholarship at Northwestern. Maybe that was your point, sorry if I missed it. Focusing on bringing in MN kids would be a good idea.

D1 Head-count sports (football (fbs only), Men's and Women's basketball, volleyball, Women's Tennis, Women's Gymnastics) it is a full ride generally for four years. These can't be split up among players (ie no 50% scholarships). The exception is Gymnastics which can split them.  And yes, this is related to the gender equality aspects of Title IX.  Football gets 85 full-ride kids. Men's basketball 13, Women's 15, Volleyball 12, Tennis 8, gymnastics 8.

It's obvious that football is the real issue and skews the scholarship issue. Typically only top 20 teams bring in a profit, so the title of "revenue sport" is a bit of a misnomer.

Men's D1 varsity volleyball for example is 4.5.  They need 6 guys on the court. I guess wrestling with 9.9 for ten spots isn't quite as bad? ???