Weight lifting

Started by bigoil, April 03, 2018, 07:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ledger

Quote from: ramjet on April 04, 2018, 10:39:30 AM
I think both a Board and shirts. Recognizing the hard work and extra effort makes for a competitive environment and also gives a sense of accomplishment. My son loves T-shirts from his wrestling years and we even had them made into two huge quilts last year. But to be in school wear a wrestling t-shirt that shows you being part of the 800-900-1000-1200 lb club is big deal and should worn with pride.
Just curious, are those totals for traditional power-lifting lifts, or is it squat-bench-clean? 

ramjet

Squat-bench-deadlift

Squat-Bench-cleans

The totals can be whatever just threw those out there.

DocWrestling

We have a record board that is for all lifts, vertical, long jump, etc that is for the whole school, all athletes and non-athletes.  Each one is broken down by weight at time such as 125, 150, 175, 200, 225, over.  Which ever the lowest you are under at time of lift is the record.  Records are broken all the time so it is a grease and the kids get to go up and write there name in.

We don't have T-shirts
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

Thanks Doc, that is perfect and while I think a wrestling board is cool, I think the entire school should be in, not just wrestling or football which is often the case.

bigG

Our weightroom records are schoolwide. Our biggest issue is the farm kids think they work hard enough on the farm. 20 years agao that would have been true, when they were chuckin' small bales. Now, I'm afraid carpal tunnel  will set in from the skidsteer joystick.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on April 05, 2018, 06:15:32 AM
Our weightroom records are schoolwide. Our biggest issue is the farm kids think they work hard enough on the farm. 20 years agao that would have been true, when they were chuckin' small bales. Now, I'm afraid carpal tunnel  will set in from the skidsteer joystick.

Now that's funny.  ;D

Jimmy

I believe your mistaken big G. The farmkids set in the farm office and run the autominis tractor with their smart phone. That's where the carpal tunnel comes from. The legal  ;D immigrants run the skid steer.

ChargerDad

We have a school wide board with bench, clean, squat, and a few other measurables including I think 1m run, broad jump, and vertical.  It has one row for each grade 8th-12th.  It would be awesome to have it by weight to give the smaller guys something to shoot for other than their personal best..  Though, IMO, if you need the board to motivate you to work hard, you are already in trouble..

ramjet

Quote from: ChargerDad on April 06, 2018, 05:52:21 AM
We have a school wide board with bench, clean, squat, and a few other measurables including I think 1m run, broad jump, and vertical.  It has one row for each grade 8th-12th.  It would be awesome to have it by weight to give the smaller guys something to shoot for other than their personal best..  Though, IMO, if you need the board to motivate you to work hard, you are already in trouble..

Yes that would be excellent with weight categories. My son does some personal training they have young man that weighs 85 lbs squatting with really excellent form 150 lbs. The recognition should come from weight to strength ratio. Or strength at that weight. For wrestlers it would showcase the high level of fitness they have. The other thing that they do in Phyed class is the pacer and it is really competitive the time on that is the measure.

bigG

Quote from: Jimmy on April 05, 2018, 04:10:24 PM
I believe your mistaken big G. The farmkids set in the farm office and run the autominis tractor with their smart phone. That's where the carpal tunnel comes from. The legal  ;D immigrants run the skid steer.

Sadly, it is like that on the some of the big farms.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

You know some of this has to be driven by the folks in the Districts or the coaches or volunteers. Awe used to go down to Bay Port for some wrestling on Sinday nights that Dennis Hall ran there weight room was crazy well stocked and had allot of people in them. The wall was filled with recognition awards.

Weight room work is a year round requirement but the off season is most important how many schools or facilities have supervision? Remember your school is tax payer funded it should be available for anyone to use. The ideas here are great but it takes a person to drive it and organize these efforts.