Weight lifting

Started by bigoil, April 03, 2018, 07:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigoil

In my former HS, we use to have a board with lifting accomplishments and also had tshirts for kids in the 200# Bench, 250# Bench, etc.

Is anyone aware of their school still doing something like this, both the board and shirts? I have found examples of the board and there seems to be one company promoting their tshirt but thought I'd find some schools doing it as well.

ramjet

Seems to me Coleman still does this I remember hearing one kid that wrestled 220 this year 195 last year had broke the 1200 mark.

One sure way to get better and stronger is keep track of progress it motivates and helps get through plateaus.

We used too and when my son weighed 140 lbs he had the combined lift beat everyone on the football team but I will say he was freaky strong and was a dedicated lifter. His bench was not super high 250 but his squats and dead lift were crazy.

Best lifts for wrestling and football ; squats and power cleans, I made a bench called a sumo squat rack and that really helped keep excellent form (alignment) and increase squats with out pressure on the spine and back. My son trains athletes and he puts tremendous emphasis with his HS on the proper form.

As you know I am big fan of Suples and will be certified along with my son in June. Even at age 60 I did 850 reps Sunday morning with a 22 lb Fit Ball in 45 minutes. I am working towards the 1000 rep club with a 48 lb Bulgarian Bag. Big lifts are for those young guys but not youth until they develop form.

bkraus

There are boards in the weight room by us, but they are only for the football program, go figure.
Strive for Perfection

ramjet

I would think if the wrestling coach did the competition he could have his own boards. I would encourage it wrestlers have some great strength to weight ratios.

bigoil

I've seen some boards that have bench squat clean total ratio with groups of 3-4, lightweight, middleweight and heavyweights (my words). Some us lineman, big skill, skill, others under 150, 151-175, etc.

Ghetto

Quote from: bkraus on April 03, 2018, 11:08:26 AM
There are boards in the weight room by us, but they are only for the football program, go figure.

I was about to say same, but then I saw it was you. So right. You beat me to it.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Ghetto

Quote from: ramjet on April 03, 2018, 02:38:41 PM
I would think if the wrestling coach did the competition he could have his own boards. I would encourage it wrestlers have some great strength to weight ratios.

Ram, this is a tremendous idea.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Harris

Quote from: bigoil on April 03, 2018, 07:37:55 AM
In my former HS, we use to have a board with lifting accomplishments and also had tshirts for kids in the 200# Bench, 250# Bench, etc.

Is anyone aware of their school still doing something like this, both the board and shirts? I have found examples of the board and there seems to be one company promoting their tshirt but thought I'd find some schools doing it as well.

:)

Hadn't thought of that board or the shirts since we were in high school.  Good stuff.

bigoil

Quote from: Harris on April 03, 2018, 07:31:57 PM

Hadn't thought of that board or the shirts since we were in high school.  Good stuff.

You probably earned a couple of those shirts, I am glad you remember them I thought I was going nuts as I searched the web for them. UWSP has them as well.

My guess is now we can't give those out as it may offend those that don't put in the effort.

MNbadger

We do this in district and most other district I know of do the same.  To my knowledge no one complains about it.  I can't imagine why anyone would complain.
We also do an "Ironman" Award in wrestling for perfect attendance.  Never had a complaint there either (except the cost in our good years!).
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

bigoil

Quote from: MNbadger on April 04, 2018, 08:05:44 AM
We do this in district and most other district I know of do the same.  To my knowledge no one complains about it.  I can't imagine why anyone would complain.
We also do an "Ironman" Award in wrestling for perfect attendance.  Never had a complaint there either (except the cost in our good years!).

You have a board or shirts, both?

ramjet

I think both a Board and shirts. Recognizing the hard work and extra effort makes for a competitive environment and also gives a sense of accomplishment. My son loves T-shirts from his wrestling years and we even had them made into two huge quilts last year. But to be in school wear a wrestling t-shirt that shows you being part of the 800-900-1000-1200 lb club is big deal and should worn with pride.

bigG

We do the records board. Used to have shirts. When I was in HS, we had combined weights, pull ups, dips, etc. and the one young man with the most points was our 'Strong man" that came with a Tshirt.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MNbadger

Football does both.  They also do %.  Football also has an Ironman competition at the beginning of their season
We did not do one specific to wrestling though we might in our new facility.  I have not been that involved in weight training, expecting the kids to deal with it on their own in the off-season.  I have never coached a kid who lost because they weren't strong enough.  Usually it is that they are not good enough wrestlers or not in good enough shape.We are in the process of redoing this as we have new facilities.  All of our wrestling stuff is gone as I stepped down some years ago.  I am back trying to institute many things. 
Quote from: bigoil on April 04, 2018, 09:08:50 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on April 04, 2018, 08:05:44 AM

You have a board or shirts, both?
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Harris

Quote from: bigoil on April 03, 2018, 10:23:58 PM
Quote from: Harris on April 03, 2018, 07:31:57 PM

You probably earned a couple of those shirts, I am glad you remember them I thought I was going nuts as I searched the web for them. UWSP has them as well.

My guess is now we can't give those out as it may offend those that don't put in the effort.

I mostly remember Andresek and Perra wearing them all the time and Perra's was never washed.   ;)