Central Wisconsin Wrestling Conference Tournament

Started by tyben, March 20, 2018, 07:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyben

I really liked reading the topic on the Northeast Valley Conference Tournament so I thought I'd post results from the CWWC Tournament held in Merrill at the end of January.  There were 23 teams with with Wis Rapids scoring 217, St Point 214, John Muir (Wausau West) 195, Marshfield 164 and Stratford 133 as the top scoring teams. Marshfield and St Point each had 4 champions and Wis Rapids had 3 champions.  All the champions also qualified for the youth state tournament this weekend, except for one that didn't attend a regional.  Merrill also does a great job of hosting the tournament.

70-Dylan Dodson 6th grade Marathon
77-Thad Sigmund 7th grade Medford
84-Preston Spray 8th grade Wis Rapids
91-Ben Weidman 6th grade Wis Rapids
98-Kale Roth 7th grade St Point
105-Hoyt Blaskowski 7th grade Marshfield
112-TJ Shierl 7th grade St Point
120-Gavin Young 8th grade Marshfield
128-Ryan Dolezal 8th grade Marshfield
136-Garett Willuweit 7th grade Marshfield
144-Konner Stuttgen 7th grade Stratford
152-Raife Smart 8th grade Edgar
160-Ben Raczek 8th grade St Point
175-Peter Rucker 8th grade Wis Rapids
190-Brice Thiel 8th grade Auburndale
210-Jaren Rohde 8th grade John Muir (Wausau West)
285-Connor Lawrence 6th grade Crandon

Binfiller

Thanks for the info on the conference tourney, I would love to hear more people post about their middle school conference tourney. That is impressive that they all advanced to state!!!

tyben

A couple side notes to the tournament. Probably the best overall wrestler in our conference, Gavin Drexler from Stratford, was not there and would have most likely been at 105.  Marshfield has a couple kids that would contend for a title but their team is so stacked from 105-136 that they leave a couple state qualifier type kids out.  I heard John Muir (Wausau West) had 60-70 kids on their team to start the year.  St Point almost won the tournament and they only have 7th and 8th graders on their middle school team.

I would say the only problem with our tournament is that we seed it based mostly on records and records can be very deceiving because during the year the good/excellent kids wrestle each other and the more beginner/average kids wrestle each other. It created some odd looking brackets with some very good kids meeting up early on.