Coaching options...Thoughts?

Started by Cash, March 11, 2018, 10:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Einerson

Quote from: ramjet on March 20, 2018, 08:13:00 AM
Well if Ben got an offer to Coach it would not be for the money !!!!!!  :o

It would be foolish for anyone to think as such.

With his businesses and his MMA the money from UW would paultry in comparison.

So if he does it, it would be for the same reasons he competes, he loves the challenges and wants to win that's what seems to drive Ben that constant drive to be number 1......

Unfortunately the politics may preclude him from the discussions. Politics as much as everyone hates them are a big part of the UW system.

While I am a huge fan of Ben and what he has built, I wonder if Ben doesn't make a loud face when somebody speculates on how much money he does or does not have, or want.  And, MMA money, I am fairly confident, and club money, would be taxed under business ownership which approaches 50% of profit.  Considering the retirement from MMA, Ben's relatively young age, the fact he will buy health care in a public market with 0% employer premium pay down...yeah, a paying job with benefits and retirement would be a great plan!

Especially if the paying job is the kind that you get excited about rolling out of bed at 5:30 in the morning for...

ramjet

Easy there boys I am speaking to internal politics at the UW they have a huge impact like it or not it is a fact of life. It happens every single day in any variety of businesses. How certain decision makers view your ability to contribute or follow the edict set down by said decision makers. One may say he is great hire others may say not so fast. Influential alumni may offer their opinion as well. Thats internal politics not to be confused with the banned topic of Governmental politics....  ::)

ramjet

Quote from: Dale Einerson on March 20, 2018, 09:55:53 AM
Quote from: ramjet on March 20, 2018, 08:13:00 AM
Well if Ben got an offer to Coach it would not be for the money !!!!!!  :o

It would be foolish for anyone to think as such.

With his businesses and his MMA the money from UW would paultry in comparison.

So if he does it, it would be for the same reasons he competes, he loves the challenges and wants to win that's what seems to drive Ben that constant drive to be number 1......

Unfortunately the politics may preclude him from the discussions. Politics as much as everyone hates them are a big part of the UW system.

While I am a huge fan of Ben and what he has built, I wonder if Ben doesn't make a loud face when somebody speculates on how much money he does or does not have, or want.  And, MMA money, I am fairly confident, and club money, would be taxed under business ownership which approaches 50% of profit.  Considering the retirement from MMA, Ben's relatively young age, the fact he will buy health care in a public market with 0% employer premium pay down...yeah, a paying job with benefits and retirement would be a great plan!

Especially if the paying job is the kind that you get excited about rolling out of bed at 5:30 in the morning for...

First off I did not "speculate" how much he has or does not have. Simply put I am saying the published salary and benefits seems low for a guy who has a much higher earning potential. I also said the the pay is not most likely not the top motivating factor. Sorry I was not clear about what I was saying.

MNbadger

Are you/we assuming Ben makes more doing AWA than he would coaching the Badgers?  I would not assume that.  It certainly would not be paltry in comparison as you speculate. 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

ramjet

Money is part of the discussion but previous discussions on this Board seem to indicate the UW does not compete on the scale of pay for D1 coaches.

So if that is the case my point is simply that Askren is not ONLY motivated by money for this job assuming he is motivated for this job.

FoldEmUp

Quote from: MNbadger on March 20, 2018, 12:16:27 PM
Are you/we assuming Ben makes more doing AWA than he would coaching the Badgers?  I would not assume that.  It certainly would not be paltry in comparison as you speculate. 

Exactly.  Not only that, but Ben is obviously aware of what Barry Davis was making and what the range will probably be.  Ben said he's interested in the position, so it really doesn't matter what the head coach salary is compared to whatever he makes now.  Far too many people are motivated by money...and you can't serve two masters.

bigG

Quote from: ramjet on March 20, 2018, 11:54:53 AM
Easy there boys I am speaking to internal politics at the UW they have a huge impact like it or not it is a fact of life. It happens every single day in any variety of businesses. How certain decision makers view your ability to contribute or follow the edict set down by said decision makers. One may say he is great hire others may say not so fast. Influential alumni may offer their opinion as well. Thats internal politics not to be confused with the banned topic of Governmental politics....  ::)

So, why would UW be any different "internal politics" wise than any other business. You didn't say "internal" and you have a habit of bringing "external" politics up here.  ::) But, there is no predicting "internal" politics. Yes, they have to sell themselves to the decision makers. Sounds like business to me.  :)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

maggie

I heard just a few words today doing the lunch thing with a few kind of in the know noys...and was very pleased as to what was said  :) smoke should roll soon!
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Recon

About two-thirds of the way into this article about Bo Ryan it talks about how he spent much of his career hosting camps and building a basketball culture in Wisconsin that resulted in an improved product (all the while also being a very successful coach at Platteville, Milwaukee and UW).  Some of those campers later played on his very successful teams.  No doubt, Bo Ryan improved the quality of basketball in Wisconsin among youth and high schoolers despite never coaching at that level in Wisconsin.  I hope the incoming Badgers wrestling coach can implement a connection to Wisconsin's youth and high school wrestling community that results in the development of more great wrestlers who commit to the Badgers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/16/sports/ncaabasketball/bo-ryan-is-weaned-to-win-in-wisconsin.html

head57

Quote from: maggie on March 21, 2018, 10:42:43 PM
I heard just a few words today doing the lunch thing with a few kind of in the know noys...and was very pleased as to what was said  :) smoke should roll soon!

Spit it out!
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

wrestlersdad

Alright already, close the applications and announce the new coach!!!!!
When opportunity comes, its too late to prepare.

leg turk

Quote from: The Legend on March 19, 2018, 10:36:41 AM

By the way to the fanatical fans.   Askren will indeed be brought in (Fact). But it isn't for the head coaching Job (Fact)

This guy knows stuff.😳

wrastle63

Quote from: leg turk on April 23, 2018, 07:47:42 AM
Quote from: The Legend on March 19, 2018, 10:36:41 AM

By the way to the fanatical fans.   Askren will indeed be brought in (Fact). But it isn't for the head coaching Job (Fact)

This guy knows stuff.😳
Yea Legend you need to post more lol.

The Legend

I'm just a Russian bot Troll.   ;D

Ghetto

Could things have worked out any better? Not sure they could have. The energy of Bono is going to change the landscape. Being able to get Ben in and still having him working with our younger kids is huge on both levels.

Will the BRTC then be regional and travel? Does it HAVE to stay in Madison?
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove