Flashback comfort food

Started by bigG, March 11, 2018, 01:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Wagner made some beautiful stuff. I like some sour, just something about Crrrrisp Kraut that hits me wrong. That, and something that costs $1.50 for a little can that I can make for $2.00 a five gallon bucket brings out the cheapskate in me.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

Best part about that Wagmer DO was it given to me no cover with it it took me little time to scarf that thing up it is fantastic Cast and the cover was easy to find at Cabelas in the Lodge Cast iron section.

Do you have crock for making Kraut?

bigG

10 gallon Redwing; but I usually use a 5 gallon food grade bucket. Haven't made any in a year; but I have a parent in the district for whom I gather boletes mushrooms, and that's usually good for a few jars of kraut. Ate so much of it growing up, Polish chop suey is the only thing I usually make with it. Okay, crock pot pork and a few other things; but I can't kraut like I usetah.

ramjet

Ahhhh the Redwing crocks..........awesome.

Believe it or not I love brats in kraut in the slow cooker they swell up and are just fantastic.

bigG

I used to go brats a lot more when I lived in Milwaukee. Locals and Usinger's. You go to the usinger store and but their "errors" you can't believe the prices on some of the best knackwurst, brats, big dogs, thuringer etc. Out here, they make really good dogs. Brats aren't as good.

ramjet

One thing I find with brats either good or not so good. I am Johnsonville fanboy but I have some really good ones from small butcher shops but all in the state of Wisconsin...

bigG

I go to two butchers. Great quality, selection, prices; but, none I've found outside of Milwaukee can hit the brat homerun.

bigG

Oh, hey, I was talking with some chow people the other day and we got onto cast iron. I guess we have a CI producer in WI. They make copper, too. $$$$$$$$$$

https://housecopper.com/product/raw-oiled-cast-iron-skillet/

ramjet

ohhhh copper now you have my attention and it must be good copper 425 samolies for that pan...... :o Worth every penny and yes pun intended  ;D

bigG

Copper is probably the best cookware there is; but it's a bit higher maintenance than CI. That's my excuse for not buying copper. :)