# of Wrestling Scholarships & UW Entrance Qualifications vs Other B10 Schools

Started by coachn, March 06, 2018, 05:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachn

I have seen posts that Wisconsin Wrestling has the disadvantage vs other Big Ten Schools.
Would someone give some feedback on the following topics.
I thank you in advance for your responses.
A.  # of Wrestling Scholarships vs the rest of the Big Ten
B.  What makes it more difficult for a recruit to enter UW vs other Big Ten Schools.
C.  UW Academic requirement vs other Big Tens Schools

bigoil

They have the same # of scholarships - 9.9.

At one time not that long ago, they were limited to the number of athletes they could have in the room.

They were limited on # of coaches paid or unpaid coaches. I think this improved but still not equal to an Iowa.

Alumni other top athletes were restricted from working out with current team members. - this has changed with the BRTC though there may still be some restrictions.

Ask Tyler Turner, Drew Hammen for more details.

imnofish

Good line of questioning.  How about academic requirements?  Specifically, are there any differences between our wrestling recruits vs football and basketball recruits?  What are the specific requirements for Wisconsin's wrestling recruits and how do they compare to those from other B1G schools?
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

DocWrestling

Quote from: imnofish on March 06, 2018, 06:42:51 PM
Good line of questioning.  How about academic requirements?  Specifically, are there any differences between our wrestling recruits vs football and basketball recruits?  What are the specific requirements for Wisconsin's wrestling recruits and how do they compare to those from other B1G schools?

It is tough to get many football players in to UW.  It is even tougher to get wrestlers in that do not meet expectations close to student body.  UW is willing to slide the scale more often in the revenue sports.

UW and Northwestern are the two toughest school to get into in terms of football players.  They slide the scale the least.

In the Big Ten, Nebraska has the lowest admissions standards.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

coachn

Thank you Imnofish

DocWrestling
PLEASE EXPLAIN

"It is even tougher to get wrestlers in that do not meet expectations close to student body."  What are the expectations of the student body?

Please give me an example of a sliding scale

"In the Big Ten, Nebraska has the lowest admissions standards."      Where did you pull that information from?

DocWrestling

Quote from: coachn on March 06, 2018, 10:21:57 PM
Thank you Imnofish

DocWrestling
PLEASE EXPLAIN

"It is even tougher to get wrestlers in that do not meet expectations close to student body."  What are the expectations of the student body?

"In the Big Ten, Nebraska has the lowest admissions standards."      Where did you pull that information from?

The admissions dept decides who gets in.  Hammen and others on here have stated that it is tough to get wrestlers in that would not otherwise get in if they were not wrestlers.  That is not the case in football.  Many football players get in because they play football that would not otherwise be accepted to UW as a general student.  I am sure there are some wrestlers that also get in but not nearly as many as in the revenue sports.

It is quote obvious in the Big Ten that requirements are different at Nebraska.  They have lower standards for general admission and there have been numerous instances of athletes not getting into other big ten schools and then being accepted into Nebraska

imnofish

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 07, 2018, 06:53:46 AM
Thank you Imnofish

DocWrestling
PLEASE EXPLAIN

The admissions dept decides who gets in.  Hammen and others on here have stated that it is tough to get wrestlers in that would not otherwise get in if they were not wrestlers.  That is not the case in football.  Many football players get in because they play football that would not otherwise be accepted to UW as a general student.  I am sure there are some wrestlers that also get in but not nearly as many as in the revenue sports.

It is quote obvious in the Big Ten that requirements are different at Nebraska.  They have lower standards for general admission and there have been numerous instances of athletes not getting into other big ten schools and then being accepted into Nebraska

Why don't they standardize requirements throughout the conference and let wrestlers (and parents) decide on the best fit, without getting jerked around so much?  It just doesn't make sense, IMO.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

DocWrestling

The NCAA sets it's minimum standards then it is up to schools.

Some athletic departments have more influence with admissions.  UW seems to have zero input with admissions and admissions has been much more strict than at other schools.  Multiple times recruits in all sports have not gotten in and then enrolled at other Big Ten Universities.

Some schools accept the NCAA minimum students.  Not sure any Big Ten schools go that low but SEC schools and others do.

Sometimes it is grades and sometimes it is ACT but one of the biggest issues recently has been in curriculum.  Southern states do no require as many years of HS english, math, etc to graduate.  Even kids with great grades cannot get into UW if they do not meet the required # of classes in those subjects.  IF UW recruits them late then it is too late to make up that course no matter what grades or ACT is.

While UW may lose some recruits because of admissions standards it can be said that some may want to come to UW because of the prestige.

The other difference amongst universities with the non-revenue sports is how each school allocates the scholarships based on in-state and out of state tuition as there are obviously differences there when you are giving percentages.  Giving a half scholarship to an out of state kid basically has him paying the same amount as an in-state student would have to pay with no scholarship.  So it is tricky when you have to give out of state kids more scholarship percentage than you might in-state to give kids the needed discount to attend your school.

Then you go back to admissions and the relationship between it and the athletic dept.  Some admissions offices are able to better find academic scholarships to offset fewer athletic scholarships to get  smart athletes more money.  There were two kids wrestling in Big ten Finals where one they said was a 4.0 and the other aced the ACT with a score of 36.  Those schools may have gotten them a ton of academic scholarships so they did not need much in terms of wrestling scholarship money freeing that up for other wrestlers to create more depth.  The truth is that the UW admissions and academic institutions probably help the UW athletic dept less than any other Big Ten university.  They are completely separate where in other places they blur together

coachn

DocWrestling.  Thank you. The More I learn, The less I know!
  A big "NEEDS FOR IMPROVEMENT" Area.

imnofish

bulldog

Quote from: imnofish link=topic=525

/quote]

Why don't they standardize requirements throughout the conference and let wrestlers (and parents) decide on the best fit, without getting jerked around so much?  It just doesn't make sense, IMO.
Then why don't they standardize the requirements to get in the school academically across the Big 10? Remember what college is for.

UW-Madison is tough to get in academically. You have to have to be in the high 3.0 to get looked at. I can't remember exactly but it is either a 3.6 or 3.9. PLUS you have to have a 27 or 28 on your ACT test. Wrestling is much more forgiving. If you have a 3.0 and an ACT in the 20s you stand a pretty good chance of getting in under wrestling if you were at least a state place winner. I know a kid that was a 3.7 and had an ACT of 26 that got "wait listed"...another kid was a 1x state champ, 2.9 GPA and a 24 ACT...he got in...dropped out after one year.

Dale Einerson

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 06, 2018, 07:05:19 PM
Quote from: imnofish on March 06, 2018, 06:42:51 PM

It is tough to get many football players in to UW.  It is even tougher to get wrestlers in that do not meet expectations close to student body.  UW is willing to slide the scale more often in the revenue sports.

UW and Northwestern are the two toughest school to get into in terms of football players.  They slide the scale the least.

In the Big Ten, Nebraska has the lowest admissions standards.

As I like to say to others that are graduates or fans of Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Nebraska, Penn State, Ohio State, Indiana, Rutgers, Michigan...just think how good Wisconsin would be if the athletes from (insert other Big 10 school not Northwestern or Wisconsin here) could get in to Wisconsin!

DocWrestling

UW admissions is quite variable and much depends on geography and diversity.  They take a certain percentage of in state kids and then take certain percentages from different areas of the country.

It is probably most difficult to get into UW if you are from Illinois as they get a ton of applicants from there.  They really do not seem to compare kids from Boston to kids from Atlanta to kids from California.  They get applicants from every state and many countries and they try to take the best from each area and don't seem to compare them to each other.

The class that started in fall had 35,000 applicants and I think they took 6,610 in which was there biggest freshman class ever.

For the upcoming class they set a record with 47,000 applicants

imnofish

Quote from: bulldog on March 08, 2018, 11:05:01 AM
Quote from: imnofish link=topic=525

/quote]

Why don't they standardize requirements throughout the conference and let wrestlers (and parents) decide on the best fit, without getting jerked around so much?  It just doesn't make sense, IMO.
Then why don't they standardize the requirements to get in the school academically across the Big 10? Remember what college is for.

UW-Madison is tough to get in academically. You have to have to be in the high 3.0 to get looked at. I can't remember exactly but it is either a 3.6 or 3.9. PLUS you have to have a 27 or 28 on your ACT test. Wrestling is much more forgiving. If you have a 3.0 and an ACT in the 20s you stand a pretty good chance of getting in under wrestling if you were at least a state place winner. I know a kid that was a 3.7 and had an ACT of 26 that got "wait listed"...another kid was a 1x state champ, 2.9 GPA and a 24 ACT...he got in...dropped out after one year.

Getting an education should be the top priority, whether or not one is an athlete. 

bigG

Quote from: imnofish on March 07, 2018, 11:57:23 AM
Quote from: DocWrestling on March 07, 2018, 06:53:46 AM
Thank you Imnofish

DocWrestling
PLEASE EXPLAIN

Why don't they standardize requirements throughout the conference and let wrestlers (and parents) decide on the best fit, without getting jerked around so much?  It just doesn't make sense, IMO.

Maybe in revenue sports; because you're talking money. The world rank of a school, WI is 25 last time I checked, has those standards in relation to their rank and number of research opportunities. "#1 Research Institute of Whatever" is something they all seem to tout. WI is that. Don't even advertise it. No need to. They have more applicants than they need. I just toured in late December, with a bunch of folks, and their kids, from LA. Thought they be a stereotype. No. Nice folks, it was 10 below so I lent one my hat. She was reluctant to let her hair get messed up. I go "no worries, you'll fit right in, here." These were top kids at their school. Usually I get mixed with a Chinese group (lucky) they are the coolest folks. Often put off by the cold and freaky scene of a frozen Mendota. WI is world class ( sounds like the ad.) Big 10 isn't perfectly equal that way.I wonder how many LSU, Auburn stars could make that grade.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.