Barry Davis

Started by Brett Favre - R.I.P., March 04, 2018, 07:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Wisconsin Badger Head Wrestling Coach Barry Davis will retire after the NCAA tournament

wrestlemania

Prediction, inside knowlege, educated guess or wishful thinking?

leg turk

GradeTough

Is this true or speculations?

NoFear

It is true the kids were told about it.

GradeTough

This is huge news. Who is expected to take the head coach position...top assistant? Are they going to do a nation wide candidate search (I sure hope so)?

GradeTough

Parents,

I am reaching out to you today to notify you that I am resigning as Head Coach of the University of Wisconsin Wrestling program following the NCAA Championships next week.  After meeting with Coach Alvarez, we have felt it is time to make a change in leadership of the program.  It has been a wonderful 26 years at Wisconsin, I leave with nothing but fond memories from my time here. I am grateful for the opportunity to coach your sons and all the young men that came before them.  And as I move into the next chapter of my career, I look forward to new challenges, new opportunities and to spend time with my family. As we always say "Once a Badger, Always a Badger" and Coach Brandvold, Coach Ruschell, Coach Eppert and myself will always be here for your sons long after we leave the wrestling room.  Coach Brandvold and Coach Ruschell will be on staff till the end of the semester to ensure a smooth transition and we are all available to you as needed.  I have the utmost confidence in Coach Alvarez and the administration to bring in someone that will continue to build on this great program and do things the Wisconsin Way.
As I told your sons this morning in our meeting, we have one day to process this decision and then it is time to focus on the task at hand.  Our jobs here are not done until the last match of the NCAA Championships and so my focus continues to be in making them the best wrestlers possible in the time we have left to prepare.
I am open for questions and calls for the next 24 hours, but once we hit the mat on Tuesday for practice, I ask that you please wait until the Championships are over to reach out, so I can focus, prepare and finish the job at hand.
My Sport Administrator, Doug Tiedt, has also offered to field questions or comments.  He can be reached at 608-516-2300 or dat@athletics.wisc.edu
Thank you all for all of your support of your sons and of this program.  We have the best student-athletes, families and fans in the country and it has been my honor to lead the program all of these years.

On Wisconsin,
Coach Davis

leg turk

Ok is this a dream?  Am I dreaming?

wrastle63

Omg Barry done after arguably his best coaching job at Big Tens.

sudden_victory

This is proof that prayers are answered.
Life is a bowl of cherries.

wrastle63

Will be interesting to see what kind of candidates will apply/be interested. Obviously Askren(we hope), Brandvold, who else?

imnofish

Time will tell...   Hope this brings improvement, but it will take some time.  Wish Barry and the whole coaching staff the best.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jchap

Do we know if this is official?  What is the source of the e-mail that was posted?

GradeTough

I hope a true nationwide search is performed. This is going to get exciting really fast. Man, does Wisconsin have enough to go after a guy like Coach Cody Sanderson from Penn State? There are tons of great candidates out there for sure.