Barry Davis

Started by Brett Favre - R.I.P., March 04, 2018, 07:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLV

Breske has a losing record for NU. Got stuck this weekend.
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

wrestler_73

I would not expect anything different from the current group of wrestlers.  This will not be an easy transition.  However, in the fairly short term this will not be an issue.  

I am looking forward to seeing how this change....has an impact far beyond the UW Madison program.  A rising tide lifts all boats.

TLV

God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

AZKing

List the ones that were successful in college...go ahead. I'll wait. How many one or two timers in D1 did fairly well at the college scene? Way more. Max Askren, Ben Askren, Tony Black, Kevin Black, Trevor Branvold, Eric Jetton, Craig Henning, Steve Best, etc.

Agreed. Fargo and national level success is likely to yield better D1 success.  Truth is lots of great high school wrestlers flop in D1. It's that different and tough.

TLV

Quote from: Napoleon Dynamite on March 05, 2018, 04:34:15 PM
Quote from: TLV on March 05, 2018, 04:30:08 PM
Breske has a losing record for NU. Got stuck this weekend.

TLV!!!!!   Have't seen your handle pop up in a while and after some research, your first post since December 2016.  Welcome back.  8)

FoldEmUp

Quote from: AZKing on March 05, 2018, 04:34:54 PM
List the ones that were successful in college...go ahead. I'll wait. How many one or two timers in D1 did fairly well at the college scene? Way more. Max Askren, Ben Askren, Tony Black, Kevin Black, Trevor Branvold, Eric Jetton, Craig Henning, Steve Best, etc.

Agreed. Fargo and national level success is likely to yield better D1 success.  Truth is lots of great high school wrestlers flop in D1. It's that different and tough.

You realize you had to dip into the 90's to make your argument right?  Half that list wrestled 20+ years ago...and it's a pretty tiny list for extending your timeframe out so long.

mkm13

Short of someone very good at promoting and attracting talent (like an askren), I think it will be difficult at having more success than Barry had.  The elite colleges currently have a lot of resources we do not.  Despite how Mich some hated him, I don't think he was a bad coach.  He was clearly not the best recruiter and not a good promoter, but in terms of working with the wrestlers I think he did well.

Hopefully the replacement can take us to another level and fit in well. I think it is important we are able to keep the young talented wrestlers we have (Wicks, Ritter, Hillger, Konrath, Krattiger, etc). 

OneEyedFatMan

You guys aren't thinking straight.

J Robinson is your changer.
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

ramjet

Quote from: Badgerdad on March 05, 2018, 03:48:56 PM
For many of you popping the cork with Barry's departure, just keep in mind, many of the wrestlers on the team are not feeling your sentiments.

Yea social media stinks for this reason.

nutman

Quote from: 1Iota on March 05, 2018, 03:54:51 PM
Quote from: AZKing on March 05, 2018, 03:38:41 PM
Sorry but D3 and D2 WIAA state champs no matter how many times just don't cut it at the next level.

I don't know that you can make this blanket statement.  It depends on the individual wrestler.  The reality is that D-1 college coaches don't care what a kid does at the State level.  They are watching what they are doing at the national level.  There is a reason every coach in the Country is at Fargo.  Hunter Marko was recruited based on what he did on the national scene, not because of his State titles.

Yep...Exactly.  Fargo adds the reinforcement to the crap shoot of recruiting.  It doesn't matter where you are from because Fargo is one division.  Besides that, the lineup will work itself out.  9.9 scholarships people!  and the scholarship %  is not equal.  At Wisconsin 50% represents $25,000 per year for an out-of-stater and $12,500 for an in-stater.   In addition, many of  the guys we recruit are smart and earn academic scholarships with high gpa's and ACT scores.  You can have your opinion about your coaching preferences, but don't shame our best kids who cannot help they grew up in smaller communities.   In addition to accomplishing wrestling at the national levels, these guys meet up with the D1 guys in different events throughout the year...and just because they're on the roster doesn't mean they get a shot on the mat or they are burning up a scholarship. In short, most of these guys have to shell out dough to wrestle and be willing to take demanding course loads.  No need for this. 

Musky Hunter

inappropriate term3 of a job Coach Davis.  Great man and a great leader for a ton of kids.  Hats off for doing it the correct way. 

jjgris

Quote from: mkm13 on March 05, 2018, 05:08:09 PM
Short of someone very good at promoting and attracting talent (like an askren), I think it will be difficult at having more success than Barry had.  The elite colleges currently have a lot of resources we do not.  Despite how Mich some hated him, I don't think he was a bad coach.  He was clearly not the best recruiter and not a good promoter, but in terms of working with the wrestlers I think he did well.

Hopefully the replacement can take us to another level and fit in well. I think it is important we are able to keep the young talented wrestlers we have (Wicks, Ritter, Hillger, Konrath, Krattiger, etc). 

Who ever said they hated Coach Davis?
I have been critical though like most who know him, or of him, I like the man.

DocWrestling

Nobody that knows anything about UW wrestling can say one bad thing about Barry Davis, the person.  He is absolutely a genuine great person.  It is understandable that the wrestlers on the team that are close to him are deeply affected today.  Hopefully they wrestle for him at NCAA's and then start to feel excitement for the change that comes with a new leader.

Even the best people don't achieve the successes expected in some positions.  Fatigue and "comfort" can also set in with a program with the same leader for so many years.

When Barry Davis returns to watch UW wrestling he should be welcomed very well.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

jjgris

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 05, 2018, 06:21:10 PM
Nobody that knows anything about UW wrestling can say one bad thing about Barry Davis, the person.  He is absolutely a genuine great person.

Even the best people don't achieve the successes expected in some positions.  Fatigue and "comfort" can also set in with a program with the same leader for so many years.

When Barry Davis returns to watch UW wrestling he should be welcomed very well.

Well said
Thank you

wrestler6

Congrats on your years at UW, BD... for all you haters you got what you wanted, hope you enjoy. Now that it's happening y'all are pretty Dang quiet.. hopefully the next incoming coach can get more respect! Again, Barry will be missed, don't like me saying this deal with it.  Good luck and look forward to hearing more about the new comer!
Tyler