Barry Davis

Started by Brett Favre - R.I.P., March 04, 2018, 07:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoldEmUp

So let me explain it this way.

If there are only ten wrestling teams and you finish last you believe they had a more successful season, regardless of how well you actually performed, than the football team that finishes #20 in the nation just because there are fewer teams between you and the top team?  That's pretty much what you're saying.

DocWrestling

But again there are 60 football teams operating on same par as UW.  There are 135 but they don't compete at same level even though they have same amount of scholarships

Wrestling has maybe 30 teams.  14 Big Ten teams and maybe 16 others than operate or actually compete with UW and that might be generous.  I hope we don't consider South dakota st or Wyoming on the same level.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

factfinder

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 07, 2018, 04:56:33 PM
But again there are 60 football teams operating on same par as UW.  There are 135 but they don't compete at same level even though they have same amount of scholarships

Wrestling has maybe 30 teams.  14 Big Ten teams and maybe 16 others than operate or actually compete with UW and that might be generous.  I hope we don't consider South dakota st or Wyoming on the same level.
Lol
How can't you?
Bono is a highly desirable coach with a band new state of the art wrestling facility. They also have a #1 ranked wrestler and a pipe line into top tear MN recruits. I also believe Flo recently listed them as one of the top 5 in attendance totals this season.
Sounds even.
I think most would consider Wyoming as a push.

Numbers

Maryland and Michigan State wrestling fans thank you for considering them relevant.

crossface21

Quote from: Numbers on March 07, 2018, 08:28:53 PM
But again there are 60 football teams operating on same par as UW.  There are 135 but they don't compete at same level even though they have same amount of scholarships

Wrestling has maybe 30 teams.  14 Big Ten teams and maybe 16 others than operate or actually compete with UW and that might be generous.  I hope we don't consider South dakota st or Wyoming on the same level.

Maryland and Michigan State wrestling fans thank you for considering them relevant.

+1000 ;D That was excellent

Ghetto

Quote from: bigoil on March 07, 2018, 02:33:44 PM
Quote from: Luke Louison on March 07, 2018, 02:25:57 PM
Quote from: FoldEmUp on March 07, 2018, 12:52:31 PM
Quote from: wrestle03 on March 07, 2018, 12:30:54 PM
Wow, you are a genius GradeTough.  If you had to just take in-state talent WI would be 10 to 14 in the Big10 every year.  But you think their going to recruit and get better guys than Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota............Ill stop with those schools.  Guess what?  It's never going to happen.

Really?  If you're talking recent history I'll agree with you...but certainly not historically true.

Here are the last five years according to Flo:  5 year cycle: #18, NR, #20, NR, NR

Historically?

2012:  #8 overall behind Iowa, Michigan, and Illinois.  Ahead of the rest.  Including this year what were the previous four years?  #8, #14, #UR, #12

http://d1collegewrestling.net/Recruiting_Rankings2012.html
https://www.flowrestling.org/rankings/6031439-2012-recruiting-class-rankings/14106-2012-recruiting-class-rankings

2011:  #14 overall behind Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn St. but ranked right there with Minnesota.  Ahead of Iowa, Michigan and Illinois.

https://www.flowrestling.org/rankings/6031438-2011-recruiting-class-rankings/14105-2011-recruiting-class-rankings

2008:  #4 overall behind Minnesota.  Ahead of everyone else.

http://d1collegewrestling.net/Recruiting_Rankings2008.html

These are the classes that Wisconsin got. These are not a reflection of the in-state talent the state of Wisconsin produced. In fact, nearly all the high quality recruits the University has brought in justify those rankings have been out-of-state talents.

J. Thielke #4 (WI)
T. Graff #6 (CO)
A. Howe #11 (IN)
R. Christensen #22 (WA)
H. Ritter #26 (MD)
I. Jordan #27 (OH)
E. Wick #29 (CA)
Z. Wick #32 (CA)
R. Taylor #35 (OH)
R. Robertson #39 (IL)
B. Jordan #48 (OH)
J. Jimenez #50 (IL)
T. Brandvold #61 (WI)
C. Medbury #62 (CO)
E. Stickley #92 (OH)

I realize these guys didn't wrestle at UW but were part of that Thielke class-
McCauley - #1 wasn't he?
Caldwell ranked?
One more kid I think I'm forgetting in that class that chose to wrestle elsewhere, Laux?

You are correct. Laux

Is buried on Iowa's bench. Good thing he followed Morningstar back to Iowa
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove