Barry Davis

Started by Brett Favre - R.I.P., March 04, 2018, 07:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneEyedFatMan

Quote from: GradeTough on March 05, 2018, 11:24:41 AM
I hope a true nationwide search is performed. This is going to get exciting really fast. Man, does Wisconsin have enough to go after a guy like Coach Cody Sanderson from Penn State? There are tons of great candidates out there for sure. 

Cody Sanderson???  Are you serious??
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

billymurphy

That is shocking news.

That meeting with Alvarez must have taken place before all the matches were wrestled this weekend since the
the Badgers wrestled great on the final day of competition and most Badger fans were satisfied with the results.

OneEyedFatMan

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on March 05, 2018, 10:42:59 AM
Now we get to see how serious the program is about being competitive. If they think Barry's salary will buy someone who will replicate Barry's results, they are crazy.

When did $100 K not be enough for a  head college wrestling coach?  Very few universities pay more.
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

Barou

If this is a joke it would be the cruelest ever put on this forum!

Even at the current salary it is a great job.  Funny how when it comes to recruiting the big sell is how great the University is but then that's the same argument for not landing great recruits.  It's a six figure job to coach wrestling.  Plenty of good candidates should be in play even without Sanderson/Dresser/Brands money.

Hire Askren!!!
JHI Mafia

GradeTough

This is a legit email. 100% real. Thank you lawd!

Barou

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on March 05, 2018, 11:37:57 AM
I feel like this is the part of the story where a whole bunch of people, whose exclusive goal was to get Barry Davis fired, realize that Wisconsin commits no resources to the sport and that their natural recruiting ground isn't producing much in the way of talent. How long after you've changed the chef do you look around and realize how bad the kitchen is?

This is the part of the story where Alvarez hires the right guy (Askren) to make UW relevant with the same resources available and can hustle for new/improved resources.  it's not like they continue to change chefs.  Maybe the kitchen isn't so bad.  They still offer 9.9 scholarships.  Didn't the practice room get a face lift not long ago?  
JHI Mafia

GradeTough

Quote from: Barou on March 05, 2018, 11:45:07 AM
Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on March 05, 2018, 11:37:57 AM
I feel like this is the part of the story where a whole bunch of people, whose exclusive goal was to get Barry Davis fired, realize that Wisconsin commits no resources to the sport and that their natural recruiting ground isn't producing much in the way of talent. How long after you've changed the chef do you look around and realize how bad the kitchen is?

This is the part of the story where Alvarez hires the right guy (Askren) to make UW relevant with the same resources available and can hustle for new/improved resources.  it's not like they continue to change chefs.  Maybe the kitchen isn't so bad.  They still offer 9.9 scholarships.  Didn't the practice room get a face lift not long ago?  

Though not official UW there is a BRTC. Maybe the kitchen isn't as bad as Japanese Wizard thinks. The main chef could have just been the main reason for the bad recipe. Hopefully we'll know within a short period of time. Like you said, they still offer 9.9 scholarships.

wrastle63

I think if the right coach comes and shows success they could get a raise. I don't think the UW will shell out $200,000 for the new coach. But if someone like Askren came turned in some top 5 Big Ten finishes or showed promise and excitement around the program that could change the salary.

GradeTough

I think a different incentive plan will be put together for the new coach. The standards of pay have been established for the top tier. No administration is going to make this type of move without some common sense in play. They should be fully aware what the market demands and creatively structure a deal. No time to be cheap now.

Jimmy

J W for just one glorious day can you not whizz in our cornflakes. Yes you bring up very valuable points. But please give us one day to celebrate this looooooong overdue announcement. ;D

leg turk

What does McFarland at Michigan make?  

Never mind, I found it.  It was last year, but he was at $130,460.

Jimmy

DocWrestling

Twitter is alive with rumors that Davis will retire after NCAA tournament.

That Big Ten performance overachieved and quite happy for those wrestlers and I will be quite happy to see Davis retire after some success and go out on his terms.

I will be happy for the program overall to have some change.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

wrestler_73

Most definitely a great opportunity for this program.  JW looks at this situation with the small focus that we currently sit in.....Yes, the job currently pays around 100K....not bad...but far below many comparables....However, it is the Big Ten and the right person with tremendous vision that will make this position something special.  This has tremendous potential...many years ago Russ Hellickson with Duane kleven did things different to make UW-Madison a force in the nation...yes, we were not Iowa at that time...but something special.  I believe that Ben Askren if interested will bring that special back to our state...

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

And where are all the people that said Brett doesn't know what he's talking about.

YOU'RE WELCOME