Time to Call Out the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, February 19, 2018, 11:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

The only news about high school wrestling was a listing of results for sectionals in the Milwaukee Area.

There was not an article or a photo in the entire sports section about the high school wrestling sectional tournaments.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Hungus

Post Crescent in Appleton is just as bad
If it isn't Football or Basketball they never bat an eye.
You're killing me Smalls!!!

leg turk

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on February 19, 2018, 11:12:50 AM
The only news about high school wrestling was a listing of results for sectionals in the Milwaukee Area.

There was not an article or a photo in the entire sports section about the high school wrestling sectional tournaments.

What can we do about it?  Send them emails requesting better coverage?  I'll domy part.

wrestlersdad

I am guessing it has to do with space.  While it is true that only the results were published, what is not mentioned is that there was a very large write up about the State Swimming and Diving championships.  Now I am sure that if you could find a swimming and diving forum, they would have the same coverage complaint the other 51 weeks a year as wrestling does.  I am sure the MJS will have extensive coverage next weekend.
When opportunity comes, its too late to prepare.

bigoil

The positive thing is to say the nice things to the ones already covering wrestling. I seen multiple reporters and photographers at our sectional working for various smaller entities.

Some of the guys post their articles/information on twitter, give them a like or retweet.

bigoil

woody53

The Wisconsin State Journal did a better job than what I was expecting yesterday. Still not like it use to be.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

thequad

Why does hokey get coverage like they do?

You see a lot more people at wrestling tournaments than hokey gets.

Plus you are covering a lot more schools with wrestling!
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

crossface21

What ever happened to Joe Shinners? He use to always write up the wrestling articles for the JS, and he pretty much disappeared. Was he a casualty as well? I just get the e-version of the JS, and it's pretty bad what they give us. But don't worry, the JS will make sure everyone knows the scores of all the last place teams basketball scores. I understand, they gotta give service to what makes them the money, but throw wrestling a bone every now and then.

TomM

Watertown is lucky to have two great prep guys in Kevin Wilson and Tom Kahl at The Watertown Daily Times.
They both show a passion for high school sports in their work.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

ramjet

Fabulous Falcons

I'm not sure how the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel works, however for most newspapers all you need to do is write an editorial article and submit it yourself. . . and don't exceed the word limit. If you exceed the word limit they will chop whatever they want out of it.
Howard Ruff: "It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

pauladamski

One of the main reason is the decline of two newspaper towns. Take Green Bay for example. In the past they had to cover more high school sports because if one didn't, they would lose some advantage. Green Bay had the News-Chonicle and the Press Gazette. The old sports editor at the NC loved high school sports and covered them in depth. At one point they had four reporters just for high school sports and each had a full beat to cover - with weekly game stories, features and columns. The PG had to due the same or hey would lose the advantage and some advertising.

I know the NCs advertising money went up during high school sports because they would get a big increase in subscriptions. I also know it went a long way if someone called in to thank the editor. I remember for a while, the NC and PG would send a reporter a D1, D2 and D3 regional and sectional if they were within 40 miles of Green Bay.

Once the PG purchased the NC, the high school cover started to slip because it had no competition.

Add that to the fact not has many people read newspapers and it compounds the issue.

Nonetheless, I'd recommend still saying thanks to the reporters and or editors after this weekend. I know it made a difference and helped the editors when they assigned the games. Also, while they might not be able to publish a true story from someone that doesn't work for the paper, if you write a brief summary- score, name of wrestles with pins, team record and a box score, it will get published by most papers because that saved them time.

Since Gannet owns almost all the papers in Wisconsin, they cut the staff and don't have as much resources. The editors are strapped, so any help would likely go a long way. But complaining about lack of coverage to them will not help. Call them this week and ask them what you can do to help get results in the paper. I think you will be surprised to hear they  will take your help. Also, ask them to send someone to cover the tournament. Show there is interest.

Lastly, if any coaches are out there reading this, help the reporters do their  job. I know it can be hectic, but assign a coach to talk to the media. Nothing worse for a reporter to be shunned or dismissed when they are trying to get a quote or ask about some matches/outcome and the coach doesn't give the time of day because thy are too busy or don't want to. That makes an already tough assignment - because most reporters don't know Wrestling - tougher.

bigoil

Miss reading Paul in the paper and your replacements seem to have all been let go, though none as passionate about wrestling as you were.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"