starting pitching

Started by neutral, February 15, 2018, 08:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neutral

I'm pretty excited about the offense - but ...

I don't get the additions of Chacin, Gallardo, & Miley - don't think any of them can pitch in Miller Park.

I get one of them ... to fill in for Nelson - but the other 2 are just money they should be saving for a run at Cobb.

Or - some combination of Broxton, Phillips, Aguilar, & Thames for Odorizzi, Archer, or some #3-#4 caliber guy who's got a chance to keep the ball in the park.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

neutral

... and now they're looking at Lincecum?

fastnfurious

I know it doesn't look great at the moment. But I'd hang in there for a little bit here. There are still some good unsigned starters with a surprisingly small number of teams looking at them. We still have plenty of payroll space. Also the a few options on the trade block. Regardless of what Stearns says to the media, I fully believe he will add a significant arm before the season starts. I think he has something cooking but if he says that then he loses the upper hand. But I could end up being wrong. Chacin will be a decent mid to back end rotation guy and the other 2 are virtually no risk additions for potential depth.

fastnfurious

And don't take the Lincecum thing too seriously I'm pretty sure over half of the teams in baseball were at that tryout.

wrastle63

Agree with fastnfurious. These signings are very low risk and give you proven starters that can come in and eat up some innings. We have a lot of ?s with Jimmy and his health, Guerra and will he rebound, and Chase and can he repeat what he did? These guys are just backup plans.

neutral

IMO ... time to sign Cobb.

With Lynn getting 1 year @12-14 ... Cobb should get about the same - and then test FA again next off-season.

neutral

With Nelson not coming back ... and Davies being a ? (even if he gets a start in before the deadline) - need to do something about another SP.  Even though anything involving Aguilar might seem sacrilegious to some - I think he's too limited ... and possibly be (part?) of what brings the best return.  Would you do any of these?

Gibson from MN for Aguilar & a prospect ... ?

Cobb from Baltimore for Shaw & a prospect ... ?

Harvey from Cincinnati for Thames* and a prospect ... ?  (* they need corner outfield power - and Votto isn't going to play forever ... is he?)

T.Richards, Straily, Chen, or Lopez from Miami for Aguilar ... ?

Ghetto

According to rumor mill, the Brewers are still after Harvey. I like Thames but he's not an every day plYer and I don't think he'll command much. His biggest asset is his relatively small contract.

There's a ton of OF talent left to deal. Santana has been hot at AAA so he's someone that could be dealt along with Broxton.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

maggie

WOW, another game another 2 run 1st inning  given up!  same old same old  >:( look at how many game we have given up 2 or more runs in the top of the first inning..... >:(
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

neutral

It's nice to have a (most of the time) potent Offense - but as the old adage goes ... Pitching & Defense wins championships (starting in the 1st).

Ghetto

Chacin was a steal. Great get for the Brewers. He's been the best starter all year.

While the Brewers have fallen apart recently, they are still within reach of the division if they get hot again. They are ahead of schedule on the rebuild, and are putting the pieces together to make a longish run at things. As of today, they are leading the wild card and 3.5 back of the Cubs in the division. Making the playoffs is all that matters.

I like the Moustakas deal, but as we've talked about earlier, Shaw no longer has a real home. Putting him at second is kinda a slap in the face for him. He's not hitting at the pace he was last year, and I get that they just grabbed a better third basemen, but his left handed power bat should be in the lineup somewhere.

Yes we all want a true #1 starter, there aren't a ton of those out there and they come at a very high price most of the time. I'd like to see a catcher who has plus bat. Can Manny Pina be that guy? If not, then move some guys and get someone. Having an offensive weapon at the position makes SS and 2nd less important in the offense.

That said, Arcia and Schoop are both hitting below their career average by a long shot. I still think they can turn it around offensively and lead a hot streak to win the division.

wrastle63

A good chance to build some momentum the next nine games. They have 3 vs the Reds, 3 vs the Pirates, and then 3 vs the Reds again. I'm guess we will see a lot of Eric Thames against the Reds. If they can win all three series and maybe get one sweep that would put them back in driver seat for WC.

neutral

Shields from the White Sox for Broxton ... ?

Ghetto

I can't remember the last time I went to a game and they won. Peralta was really good today. They make too many stupid errors that will cost them against good teams. A win is a win though.

crossface21

Quote from: Ghetto on August 22, 2018, 05:36:14 PM
I can't remember the last time I went to a game and they won. Peralta was really good today. They make too many stupid errors that will cost them against good teams. A win is a win though.

Lou Pinella said it best: "At this time of year, you don't need to be good, you just need to win"