Why I support This Team, This Coaching Staff, and the BRTC

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, February 05, 2018, 09:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Quote from: dman on February 08, 2018, 12:14:42 PM
First off....you have to be kidding yourself if some of the programs that are heads and shoulders ahead of us already, aren't still calling for firing their coaches......second, sorry my questions doesn't fit the all knowing and righteous Japanese Whizzer....how about this...next time you don't agree with a question or a post....just don't reply....it'll be okay....you will survive...

::)

How does he not reply when you answer your own question like the "no" would be unique to WI? There are Iowa fans who despise the Brands'. Aside from PSU I doubt there are many 100% YES teams out there.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

FoldEmUp

Quote from: wrastle63 on February 08, 2018, 12:19:48 PM
First off....you have to be kidding yourself if some of the programs that are heads and shoulders ahead of us already, aren't still calling for firing their coaches......second, sorry my questions doesn't fit the all knowing and righteous Japanese Whizzer....how about this...next time you don't agree with a question or a post....just don't reply....it'll be okay....you will survive...

JW has a point. Who else is 100% happy with their program? FoldEmUp laid it out for you with numbers of what wrestling is doing at UW. Until we boost our support and get closer to making money nothing will change. If we get out attendance to 2,000 on average and get closer to breaking even then maybe the higher ups will raise the head coach salary so we can get someone better.

Even at 5,000 average attendance at $5 per ticket for seven home duals it would only generate $175,000 in revenue.  The program costs us $287k right now with Barry Davis making only $107,000.

It is almost a certainty that the wrestling program will not ever be self sustaining.  There isn't a single wrestling program in the nation that is...even Iowa and Penn St.  They have to spend so much more money to get to the pinnacle that the benefits that come with that success can't overcome the increased cost to get there.  With how efficient our program is for its respective success, adding cost won't bring enough benefit to justify that cost.  This is why Barry Davis is going nowhere until he wants to.  We may not like it, and I don't like it, but we're "good enough" for Barry Alvarez.  It's something we have to live with until circumstances change where an argument can be made to do something different.  Those factors aren't in our favor right now.

wrastle63

Quote from: FoldEmUp on February 08, 2018, 12:36:16 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on February 08, 2018, 12:19:48 PM

JW has a point. Who else is 100% happy with their program? FoldEmUp laid it out for you with numbers of what wrestling is doing at UW. Until we boost our support and get closer to making money nothing will change. If we get out attendance to 2,000 on average and get closer to breaking even then maybe the higher ups will raise the head coach salary so we can get someone better.

Even at 5,000 average attendance at $5 per ticket for seven home duals it would only generate $175,000 in revenue.  The program costs us $287k right now with Barry Davis making only $107,000.

It is almost a certainty that the wrestling program will not ever be self sustaining.  There isn't a single wrestling program in the nation that is...even Iowa and Penn St.  They have to spend so much more money to get to the pinnacle that the benefits that come with that success can't overcome the increased cost to get there.  With how efficient our program is for its respective success, adding cost won't bring enough benefit to justify that cost.  This is why Barry Davis is going nowhere until he wants to.  We may not like it, and I don't like it, but we're "good enough" for Barry Alvarez.  It's something we have to live with until circumstances change where an argument can be made to do something different.  Those factors aren't in our favor right now.
Agreed. I understand that. That is why I am saying showing some improvement and double your attendance. Host a tournament and make money to also add to your revenue. It also gives Wisconsin kids another chance to compete at home. This would be a way to grow Wisconsin wrestling.

npope

At the risk of sounding like my old man, there was a time when WI was a "hot bed" for collegiate wrestling - back in the 1970s to early 1980s. We had international studs gracing the WI wrestling room, e.g., Hellickson, Peterson brothers, Kemp, Rein, Dave Schultz, etc. Madison was a Mecca of sorts for the very best the sport had to offer. Even then however, the Barn wasn't being filled for wrestling events...better than currently, but still.

Madison hosted one of the great early season open meets (the Northern Open) and it drew the very best from around the Midwest...and also pulled in a lot of top quality from local DII and DIII just to go against the best in the nation. Yes, it was a different time, but I dare say that it was Wisconsin wrestling's zenith. But even then, WI didn't have wrestling fever. Sure, wrestling fans would travel for a big meet, albeit in limited numbers. I think the best way to explain it is that wrestling (like many other "minor" sports) is predicated on a cult-following - never destined to be more than it is but still sensitive to the success of the program. While the very hard-core will never stop being fans (maybe that who are on this forum - other people have "real" lives), many others will only be fans so long as the team is a winner and has great energy. I get it - and accept it.

But my point is that even at its best, wrestling still was little more than a cult-sport in Wisconsin - as it is most everywhere else. I think people would do better if they just got more comfortable in their "skin" instead of trying to be something we aren't.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

wrestlemania

I can imagine that must have been a special time. And you have to consider the fact there were more wrestlers in the room and it was much easier and cheaper for a non-scholarship wrestler to walk-on and get his shot to make the varsity if he was hungry enough and had the talent to do so. Even if they didn't just to be a part of it and to learn from all those great wrestlers, made it worth it.