Andrew Howe

Started by Ivan Stankowski, February 01, 2018, 06:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivan Stankowski

Howe promoted to associate head coach at Northwestern

Northwestern University Sports Information
2/1/2018

EVANSTON, Ill. -- Andrew Howe has been promoted to associate head coach of the Northwestern wrestling team, Head Coach Matt Storniolo announced.

"I am extremely excited for both Andrew and our program," said Storniolo. "He has more than earned this new title. Northwestern wrestling could not ask for a better coach, role model, and leader to be associated with our team and we have made tremendous progress in a short time. I am anxious to see how much more we can accomplish in the years to come."

Howe is in his second season with Northwestern, joining the Wildcats after two seasons with Oklahoma. The 2010 National Champion at 165 lbs. wrestled his senior season for the Sooners in 2014 after three years at Wisconsin.

"I would like to thank Dr. Jim Phillips and Matt Storniolo for their support and for believing in me," said Howe. "I couldn't ask for a better athletic department and a better staff to work with. I am proud of how far we have come in a short time. We will continue putting the work in and I am excited to see where we can take it."

A dominant collegiate wrestler, Howe finished with a 122-10 career record while racking up four All-America honors and winning three Big Ten titles for the Badgers. In his three appearances in the NCAA tournament, Howe never finished lower than third at the NCAA Championships.

Howe has also had success on the world stage, winning the 2010 U.S. Open freestyle championship. He was a 2009 junior world bronze medalist and a runner-up at both the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Trials.

The Cedar Lake, Indiana, native was also a three-time high school state champion and posted a 192-1 record. Howe also brings a strong academic pedigree to Northwestern as he was named to the Academic All-Big 12 First Team and the NWCA Division I All-Academic Team in 2014.

After serving as an assistant at Oklahoma for two seasons, Howe moved to Evanston in the spring of 2016. Following his arrival, Northwestern wrestling has seen marked improvements.

The Wildcats currently boast an 8-2 (3-2 Big Ten) record and are nationally ranked in nearly every poll, led by W.I.N. Magazine, who puts NU tied for 14th in their Tournament Power Index. Northwestern is 17th in the NWCA/USA TODAY Coaches Poll, its highest ranking since January 2015.

Chicago's Big Ten Team will be back in action this Friday, February 2, when it hosts No. 19 Rutgers in the home finale in a match set for 7 p.m. at historic Patten Gym.

dad 2 5

imnofish

Barry's future replacement?
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

littleguy301

good for Mr Howe! glad to hear he is making a living in something he truely loves!!!!!!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

CLC FAN

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on February 01, 2018, 06:44:42 PM
In his three appearances in the NCAA tournament, Howe never finished lower than third at the NCAA Championships.

Did they short him by one AA?

I thought he went 2nd (Jarrod King)  1st, 3rd (Hamstring year), 2nd (Chris Perry)

leg turk

Ya, but then they say he was a 4 time AA.

A dominant collegiate wrestler, Howe finished with a 122-10 career record while racking up four All-America honors and winning three Big Ten titles for the Badgers. In his three appearances in the NCAA tournament, Howe never finished lower than third at the NCAA Championships.

bigG

Good for him. Had a good engine.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

littleguy301

Quote from: CLC FAN on February 02, 2018, 04:40:51 AM
Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on February 01, 2018, 06:44:42 PM
In his three appearances in the NCAA tournament, Howe never finished lower than third at the NCAA Championships.

Did they short him by one AA?

I thought he went 2nd (Jarrod King)  1st, 3rd (Hamstring year), 2nd (Chris Perry)

yes he did, I think they said 3 appearances at Wisconsin if my short term memory serves me correct after just reading the article. They also mentioned that he was an AA at Oklahoma also.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet