No. 7 Michigan 19 --- No. 4 Iowa 17

Started by TomM, January 27, 2018, 10:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Site: Iowa City, Iowa (Carver-Hawkeye Arena)
Score: No. 7 Michigan 19, No. 4 Iowa 17
Records: U-M (8-2, 5-1 Big Ten), UI (9-1, 4-1 Big Ten)
Next U-M Event: Friday, Feb. 2 -- vs. Nebraska (Cliff Keen Arena), 7 p.m.

No. 7 Michigan 19, No. 4 Iowa 17
Individual rankings by InterMat

125 -- No. 3 Spencer Lee (UI) tech. fall No. 9 Drew Mattin, 15-0 (3:21)  [UI, 5-0]
133 -- No. 5 Stevan Micic (U-M) major dec. Paul Glynn, 19-5  [UI, 5-4]
141 -- Vince Turk (UI) dec. Sal Profaci, 13-11 SV  [UI, 8-4]
149 -- No. 2 Brandon Sorensen (UI) pinned Ben Lamantia, 4:54  [UI, 14-4]
157 -- No. 5 Alec Pantaleo (U-M) dec. Jeren Glosser, 5-2  [UI, 14-7]
165 -- No. 9 Alex Marinelli (UI) dec. No. 8 Logan Massa, 3-2  [UI, 17-7]
174 -- No. 7 Myles Amine (U-M) dec. Kaleb Young, 3-1  [UI, 17-10]
184 -- No. 5 Domenic Abounader (U-M) dec. No. 20 Mitch Bowman, 4-1  [UI, 17-13]
197 -- No. 14 Kevin Beazley (U-M) dec. No. 5 Cash Wilcke, 6-5  [UI, 17-16]
Hwt -- No. 2 Adam Coon (U-M) dec. No. 3 Sam Stoll, 3-2  [U-M, 19-17]

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The No. 7-ranked University of Michigan wrestling team claimed each of the last four matches, erased a 10-point deficit and rallied past No. 4 Iowa, 19-17, on Saturday evening (Jan. 27) in front of  crowd of 10,418 at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. It was the Wolverines' first win in Iowa City since 2005 and snapped a nine-match Hawkeye win streak in the series.

The dual came down to the final bout at heavyweight, which pitted second-ranked graduate student Adam Coon against third-ranked -- and similarly undefeated -- Sam Stoll. Coon struck first, scoring on a go behind off a hard snapdown midway through the first period. The wrestlers traded escapes in the second and third periods and Coon never looked in danger, hanging on for a 3-2 decision and the dual-meet clincher. He improved to 19-0 on the season.

Graduate student Kevin Beazley, ranked 14th at 197 pounds, put the Wolverines in the driver's seat with a 6-5 upset win over Cash Wilcke and, pulling U-M within one point on the scoreboard, set up the winner-takes-all finale at heavyweight. Beazley rallied from an early deficit, with two takedowns in the second period, and took the lead for good with a quick escape in the third. Wilcke shot in deep on a leg attack late in the third, but Beazley neutralized the position on the edge as time ran out.

Junior/sophomore Myles Amine and fifth-year senior Domenic Abounader initiated the comeback with back-to-back decisions at 174 and 184 pounds, respectively. Amine, ranked seventh, used a third-period reversal and rideout to edge Kaleb Young, 3-1, while Abounader, who took an early lead on a first-period takedown, similarly iced his bout with a third-period rideout to beat 20th-ranked Mitch Bowman, 4-1.

The Hawkeyes claimed four of the opening six bouts and earned big bonus points at 125 and 149 pounds. Michigan got one back with a major decision at 133 pounds, when junior/sophomore Stevan Micic cruised to a 19-5 win over Paul Glynn. Micic, ranked fifth, scored on six takedowns and a four-point leg turk in the first and rode for 3:20 in time advantage. He was in deep on a leg attack at the buzzer -- that would have given him a technical fall -- but couldn't finish as time expired.

Senior/junior Alec Pantaleo, ranked seventh at 157 pounds, also provided the Wolverines a win before the intermission break with a 5-2 decision against Jeren Glosser. After a scoreless first period, Pantaleo scored on a quick reversal in the third and a late double-leg takedown while riding for 2:57.

The Wolverines (8-2, 5-1 Big Ten) will kick off a four-meet homestand next Friday (Feb. 2), hosting Nebraska at 7 p.m. at Cliff Keen Arena. Tickets are available through the U-M Ticket Office.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ivan Stankowski

When is Pat DowneyIII going to star wrestling for Iowa

imwi

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on January 28, 2018, 07:37:58 AM

I've been saying all along, NEVER, but we shall see.  Flo (CP) tweeted the other day saying something like "alot of PDIII news, not looking good" but no details.  From what I understand he graduated Iowa State, got admitted to a Masters program at Iowa, and the word was that once classes started he'd be eligible to wrestle.  Classes have started and he's not wrestling.  I "suspect" his definition of eligible and the NCAA's definition may not match.  But you would have thought that Iowa would've had that figured out before the agreed to all this.  I have no inside information, all conjecture on my part. 

That being said, I was able to watch the last two matches and it just brings me joy to see Iowa lose :)  I did get a kick out of the announcers saying both heavyweights were undefeated...yep, true statement, but only because Stoll sat when they wrestled Ohio.

wrastle63

Quote from: imwi on January 28, 2018, 09:30:03 AM
Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on January 28, 2018, 07:37:58 AM

I've been saying all along, NEVER, but we shall see.  Flo (CP) tweeted the other day saying something like "alot of PDIII news, not looking good" but no details.  From what I understand he graduated Iowa State, got admitted to a Masters program at Iowa, and the word was that once classes started he'd be eligible to wrestle.  Classes have started and he's not wrestling.  I "suspect" his definition of eligible and the NCAA's definition may not match.  But you would have thought that Iowa would've had that figured out before the agreed to all this.  I have no inside information, all conjecture on my part. 

That being said, I was able to watch the last two matches and it just brings me joy to see Iowa lose :)  I did get a kick out of the announcers saying both heavyweights were undefeated...yep, true statement, but only because Stoll sat when they wrestled Ohio.

Big win for Michigan as a program! Nice to see Iowa lose at home.

littleguy301

this was a great dual and the enviorment was hot for sure at iowa!

man I was in the local watering hole after our wrestling clubs ice fishing tournament and us die hards got it on a couple of the tv in the watering hole. after about the 3rd match the not wrestling fans were asking to change their tv's to that station. MMA got bumped and the 50 plus people starting watching wrestling.

once we noticed this, I took Michagans side and my buddy being an Iowa fan started cheering against each other. After a while the non fans started taking sides and it was a fun time!

there is a market for wrestling for sure and this dual was very, very good!!!!!!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bkraus

I thought after Iowa won the OT match at 141, that there was no way Michigan would come back.  But Kemerer not being in the dual was huge.  Great dual, congrats Michigan.  I am also on the side of seeing Iowa lose at home.  Man was that a fun one to watch!
Strive for Perfection

leg turk

I liked the Coon interview afterwards.... Seems like a class act guy.

lizard king

I was at the match and the only thing more fun than Iowa losing is being at Iowa when they lose.  And, both teams were missing 1 starter, so...

Rat

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 28, 2018, 04:41:41 PM
this was a great dual and the enviorment was hot for sure at iowa!

man I was in the local watering hole after our wrestling clubs ice fishing tournament and us die hards got it on a couple of the tv in the watering hole. after about the 3rd match the not wrestling fans were asking to change their tv's to that station. MMA got bumped and the 50 plus people starting watching wrestling.

once we noticed this, I took Michagans side and my buddy being an Iowa fan started cheering against each other. After a while the non fans started taking sides and it was a fun time!

there is a market for wrestling for sure and this dual was very, very good!!!!!!

I was in Florida at a bar restraunt my niece worked at and at first people were like who changed the channel. I stood up proud and loud and said I asked her to change it. It wasnt
very long and lots of people got excited.Some people dont know what there missing.