Schedule

Started by dad 2 5, January 27, 2018, 01:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

what I dont like is the fact that BOTH Iowa and minnesota are not on the schedule.

first when ever Iowa comes to town they bring fans and many average fans show up to see them and they are close.

second, U of M, well at least in my part of the state those tickets at the UM are a hot ticket and usually 5K for fans in the arena and they have moved that dual to the basketball court to make sure they fit in all the fans.

scheduling is a huge part of the success of the program. UW needs to have those local, teams with in 4 hours from Madison on the schedule every year or at least a couple of them. It certainly helps with promotion and getting the average fan out to any event!

outside to the average fan yes the Rutgers dual is something for the die hards but to be honest the average fan really doesnt have that much interest.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

The DP deification club will be present. Can't believe he left Michigan after single-handedly making them what they are today. ;)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Wrestling Thug

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 28, 2018, 12:33:53 PM
Quote from: Wrestling Thug on January 28, 2018, 12:14:44 PM
Dude you are so funny with your rational! Some teams match up better against others and could be a lesser team! I like how your blow out prediction of Indiana ended! I did say that Illinois would be the best chance of winning a dual, so don't put words in my mouth. Keep cherry picking your wrong points of views! That's your right to do so!
Why because my rational actually makes sense? Funny how that works.
No it hasn't actually worked for you. I did notice that Jason Renteria didn't wrestle today for Nebraska, so that score could of been different. I won't dwell on that though, because they put who they put out there for whatever reasons. All teams have to deal with hiccups in the season and concentrate for the big show! My point is if Wisconsin comes close to beating any of these teams we are talking about, it is a exaggerated outcome. Most likely the other teams best lineup isn't in the active roster. Look at individual results and trends! I'm gonna say that Isaiah White will beat Wick! Not a good match up for Wick. Similar body types and he has been wrestling awesome! I could say that Chad Red has a possible chance of losing even though I feel he is better than any of the Badgers! I feel like he is wrestling like an average guy this year and has actually regressed! Nebraska A team = 26 to 9 or B team 23 to 12.

Wrestling Thug

Did you see that Nortwestern beat Minnesota? Using your rational wrasstle63 shouldn't the Badgers beat Minny, because their score was closer than Minny's!?

sudden_victory

Evan Wick to Isaiah White before the match: " I broke Logan Massa, now I'll break you."

Evan Wick's next loss will be to iMar.
Life is a bowl of cherries.

littleguy301

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on January 28, 2018, 06:31:14 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on January 28, 2018, 04:32:13 PM
what I dont like is the fact that BOTH Iowa and minnesota are not on the schedule.

first when ever Iowa comes to town they bring fans and many average fans show up to see them and they are close.

second, U of M, well at least in my part of the state those tickets at the UM are a hot ticket and usually 5K for fans in the arena and they have moved that dual to the basketball court to make sure they fit in all the fans.

scheduling is a huge part of the success of the program. UW needs to have those local, teams with in 4 hours from Madison on the schedule every year or at least a couple of them. It certainly helps with promotion and getting the average fan out to any event!

outside to the average fan yes the Rutgers dual is something for the die hards but to be honest the average fan really doesnt have that much interest.

Definitely a bummer, but them's the breaks with a 14-team Big Ten and only 9 duals. I remember a year where, after the Big Ten schedule was done, Iowa and Penn State scheduled an extra dual. It would be cool if the Badgers cemented a permanent match with Minnesota, regardless of the Big Ten rotation.

I agree scheduling that "must" match for attendance reasons and recruiting.

actually I got thinking about this one, with the minnesota following and with Madison being at one end of the state having something in LaCrosse would be interesting. I would say green bay but maybe a tad longer for the minnesota fans.

since the badgers have traveled across the state to a practice in Ellsworth maybe taking the show on the road would be great also though I would think the NCAA might say something.

just an idea.

littleguy301

I would love to see a east and west or north and south division in wrestling.

7 teams in each division and with the strength of the big ten get another 3 duals in with like competition. top 3 from each and bottom 3 from each get after each other with the 4th teams in the mix getting tossed in some how. I think that would be great to some extent.

with wrestling being basically for most a non profit thing, I think for teams like UW having close duals with Ill, UM and Iowa every year would up attendance and maybe help with recruiting.

I know BD seems to be hanging in Minnesota some lately so might as well dual them ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Why don't Big Ten teams schedule a bunch of Triple Duals against each other?

Seems like that would be a simple way to get a bunch of matches an save on travel.

And the crowds would be bigger.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

bigG

That would be sweet. I could totally see MN,IA and WI doing that. Of course, we'd be the whoopin' post.

Barou

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on January 29, 2018, 09:10:09 AM
Why don't Big Ten teams schedule a bunch of Triple Duals against each other?

Seems like that would be a simple way to get a bunch of matches an save on travel.

And the crowds would be bigger.

That would be a good idea for the bottom feeder programs that don't draw much for fans.
JHI Mafia

wrastle63

Quote from: bigG on January 29, 2018, 10:33:14 AM
That would be sweet. I could totally see MN,IA and WI doing that. Of course, we'd be the whoopin' post.
MN would not whoop us. They would probably win 6 matches and us 4.

bigG

MN cares about wrestling, though. Even people in the cities care about it. Madison and Milwaukee could give a rip (save for the nice clubs near Milwaukee). So if Eggum doesn't lead them in an upward trajectory, he'll be gone, or step down on his own, like I believe Ben would here. "There's your sign." In WI all you have to do is not stir the turd, apparently. We've been mediocre since 2000 with a few nice highlights; but not enough for a highlight reel. MN will eventually whoop us. But, since this triple dual would happen next year , or the following, we'd beat them from this point in time; because our best year is always gonna be next year, the way we're going; and have gone before. I believe Eggum would be out if next year the folks in MN didn't see some noted improvement. Not in Badgerland. they have more wrestling kids and more wrestling fans; so there is more pressure.

It's been our stagnation that has so many Badger fans wanting a new coach. Be one thing if we stagnated great. Nope, we're staganting low. This year IA is down. Watch, much as I dislike the Brands, they will be better next year. If BD stays, he might come in a notch higher, then drop the following year, then move up a spot the next year.

ChargerDad

Here is the Badgers record, B1G finish, and NCAA finish since 2001 except 2008-2009 which I can't find.. List compiled manually, so may not be 100% accurate..  Doesn't look too bad, if this was North or South Dakota State, or Central Michigan...  If this meets anyones expectations of what the Badgers should be, then your expectations are REALLY low or reality isn't a realm you live in.. to me, this is extremely underwhelming.    Sure, there were a few respectable years from 2007-2011.. then 2012 dropping off to 41st at the NCAA's..  I think this says 2 things.. can't consistently recruit, and can't consistently turn mid level recruits into contributors, both of which are absolutely essential if we want to hang around where we did from 2007-2011, which is where I think most fans expect we should be..  I'll say this.. if my kid is lucky enough to be recruited by D1 schools in HS, UW sits behind both SDSU, NDSU, Northwestern, Central Michigan and Purdue as to places I'd encourage him to go over UW.. you shouldn't be able to say that about ANY of those schools outside of steering to school based on academic major...

2001-2002 11-10, 9th of 11 at B1G's, T-26 at NCAA's
2002-2003 9-7, 9th at B1G's, 23rd at NCAA's
2003-2004 17-6, 7th at B1G's, T-29 at NCAA's
2004-2005 10-3-2, T-5th at B1G's, T-15 at NCAA's
2005-2006 9-5-1, 7th at B1G's, 21st at NCAA's
2006-2007 19-3, 2nd at B1G's, 13th at NCAA's
2007-2008 14-4-1, 6th at B1G's, 17th at NCAA's
2008-2009 CAN'T FIND DATA
2009-2010 8-10, 3rd at B1G's, 4th at NCAA's
2010-2011 9-6-1, 4th at B1G's, 10th at NCAA's
2011-2012 5-12, 12th at B1G's, 41st at NCAA's
2012-2013 7-8, 10th at B1G's, T-27th at NCAA's
2013-2014 12-6, 7th at B1G's, 16th at NCAA's
2014-2015 9-4, 8th at B1G's, 17th at NCAA's
2015-2016 4-8, 8th at B1G's, 23rd at NCAA's
2016-2017 6-5, 8th at B1G's, 13th at NCAA's

leg turk

But, but..... we're competitive in a bunch of weights. ::)

leg turk

Oh I am informed, its called the eye test.  And don't tell me what to do.