2018 Packer Draft

Started by The Last Ride, January 24, 2018, 08:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

There was no pressure on the QB to speak of early. The multiple formations seemed to give the Packers trouble at first. After a while Trubisky seemed to settle into who he really is (doesn't read defenses) and things were fine.

Tackling also looked eh.

They have to get better, right? The DBs are young and can only get better. OLB is a big weakness on this team IMO. They will only be able to rush the passer from the inside. Fackerell is garbage. Matthews is garbage. Perry takes a lot of plays off and for the most part is garbage. Gilbert is young and unproven. I hope they'll get better too, but I don't see it.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigG

Looked identical to the D we've seen the past --- years. Doesn't matter the talent or formation if you can't tackle. Got lucky against a so-so team. "Worry, worry, worry" -BB King.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrastle63

Quote from: Ghetto on September 10, 2018, 12:54:18 PM
There was no pressure on the QB to speak of early. The multiple formations seemed to give the Packers trouble at first. After a while Trubisky seemed to settle into who he really is (doesn't read defenses) and things were fine.

Tackling also looked eh.

They have to get better, right? The DBs are young and can only get better. OLB is a big weakness on this team IMO. They will only be able to rush the passer from the inside. Fackerell is garbage. Matthews is garbage. Perry takes a lot of plays off and for the most part is garbage. Gilbert is young and unproven. I hope they'll get better too, but I don't see it.
Part of that is Packers made some good adjustments too. Some of the quick hitting plays with Tariq Cohen, etc worked really well in first half not so much in second half. I thought the DBs played incredibly well at end of the game. For a group of rookies and second year players who are going to improve with experience I thought it was a good start.

Ghetto

I do think the Packers made adjustments. That never/rarely happened under Capers.

I agree about the DBs. Those guys are gonna be a special group. If King can stay healthy, you have three high quality guys who are young and athletic and will only get better in the scheme.

Part of the problem, at least for me, is that my expectations of this season are so high. This is a talented team on both sides of the ball at many positions.

On a side note, I loved the graphic that showed the likeness of Rodgers, Stafford, Trubisky and Cousins. Stafford and Cousins got huge checks and they are right around .500 winning percentage as starting QBs. Rodgers' contract looks like it's a steal in comparison.

MNbadger

As I said earlier, I did not see all of the game.  What I did see was a team that got easily run against and can't tackle.   
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrastle63

Quote from: MNbadger on September 10, 2018, 05:13:42 PM
As I said earlier, I did not see all of the game.  What I did see was a team that got easily run against and can't tackle.   
Packers held them to less than 300 yards of offense. Even the Vikings elite defense couldn't do that against the lowly 49ers.

Also no surprise the Bears had a good run game because of Jordan Howard's runs he NEVER faced an 8 man box.

bigG

Good point. I also only watched a little into the 3rd and missed the greatness, so I'm biased.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Houndhead

The Packers defense gave up 16 points and 310 yards in the game. They gave up 10 points and 146 yards in the Bears first two drives. They gave up 6 points and 164 yards the rest of the game. West coast offenses such as Matt Nagy's script the first 15 plays of the game. The Packers defense was facing a new coach and a new offensive system. They did not have any thing on film to prepare for the game. After the fisrt 15 plays the defense was able to look at what the Bears were doing and make adjustments.

bigoil

Quote from: Houndhead on September 11, 2018, 08:53:41 AM
The Packers defense gave up 16 points and 310 yards in the game. They gave up 10 points and 146 yards in the Bears first two drives. They gave up 6 points and 164 yards the rest of the game. West coast offenses such as Matt Nagy's script the first 15 plays of the game. The Packers defense was facing a new coach and a new offensive system. They did not have any thing on film to prepare for the game. After the fisrt 15 plays the defense was able to look at what the Bears were doing and make adjustments.

It sure felt ugly and I think our expectations of no adjustments made it feel like a lost cause.

Ghetto

Quote from: Houndhead on September 11, 2018, 08:53:41 AM

I agree that there was little to go on to prepare for. In general, there was no pass rush. There were adjustments made during the game, and the Bears couldn't do much with the football after the first quarter.

With injuries to Jones and Burks, the Packers played a ton of nickel and dime during the game. Not sure what the exact number is, but it was over 60% of the snaps.

ramjet

I like it for what it was a iconic game for Rodgers he elevated everyone around him and got the job done.

We are not very strong at Linebacker the D-backs are making way too many tackles can they physically holds up to that inside play? Time will tell. The thing that got me was the bone head penalty by Mathews on that hit on the QBs at the worse possible time. PROFESSIONAL players play the game smart that was not smart.

I say they looked way better than the Lions and frankly Mn defense is good but they have some serious holes on that offensive line. Now can the Packers go into thier house and score enough points to stave off the Vikequeens over hyped Cousins? We will see.

Rodgers earned his money Sunday it was exciting he is leader that elevated the play of everyone around him.

Houndhead

There wasn't much pressure until late in the game when Pettine started blitzing. Not much for sacks, but they were making Trubitsky get rid of the ball quickly.

wrastle63

It seemed like the plan is to bend but not break. They seemed to play conservative and give up a 4 yard run and make the young QB move the ball down the field instead of getting big chunk plays, which to me seems like a smart game plan. Will be interesting to see how they do against Minnesota who has some good WRs, solid TE in Rudolph, a better QB and two solid RBs.