Badgers vs. IU

Started by dad 2 5, January 24, 2018, 06:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad 2 5

UW 20-13
I have not seen the line up but guessing at what it will be for both team I think Badgers get 6 of 10. Last year was Badgers 20-19 on criteria.
What's your call? 

badgerjohn

Home field advantage

Bucky wins 7 

25-9 with no team deducts   ;D
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

npope

It appears that JJ is out for the dual. I know asking for actual details is a long shot, but does anyone know whether his absence is driven by a physical injury or rather, a need to take a break for other reasons?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

wrastle63

125 Elijah Oliver (15-6)    Indiana Win
133 Garrett Pepple (11-12)  Tossup
141 #19 Cole Weaver (20-6)   Tossup
149  Davey Tunon (10-13)   Wisco Win
157 Austin Holmes (9-10)   Wisco Win
165 Dillon Hoey (8-10)     Wisco Win
174 Devin Skatzka (17-7)   Tossup
184 Norman Conley (11-12)  Wisco Win
197 Jake Kleimola (0-6)  Wisco Win
285 Fletcher Miller (12-7)  Tossup

So Indiana has 1 win in my opinion with the way Jiminez has looked. We have 5 safe wins and then there are the tossups. If we lose all the tossups it could be 5-5 or it could be 9-1. Look for the Badgers to win 7 or 8 of the matches.

wrastle63

133 I feel WAY more confident in us winning than 125. If I am picking I will take Lantz to win and Jiminez to lose. Of the tossups I think we win at 133 and 141. Think 174 and HWT we lose. So 7 to 3

npope

On his Tuesday with Barry session he said Rotondo was wrestling 125 for this dual - hence my question above. Subsequent posters keep talking about JJ wrestling. Do you guys know something that BD doesn't?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

wrastle63

Quote from: npope on January 25, 2018, 12:59:10 PM
On his Tuesday with Barry session he said Rotondo was wrestling 125 for this dual - hence my question above. Subsequent posters keep talking about JJ wrestling. Do you guys know something that BD doesn't?
I did not see that. My bad, but I don't see Rotondo beating Oliver. If he did that would be an upset.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

My prediction:
Wisconsin 30
Indiana 6

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

leg turk

Hopefully the Badgers can build up some confidence in this one, so they are trending the right way for the rest of the season.  Badgers 31-3

sudden_victory

Five wins apiece, Evan Wick by md, Wisconsin wins 16-15.
This team will not overachieve with its current coach.
Life is a bowl of cherries.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: npope on January 25, 2018, 05:18:12 AM
It appears that JJ is out for the dual. I know asking for actual details is a long shot, but does anyone know whether his absence is driven by a physical injury or rather, a need to take a break for other reasons?

He may be entering an open tournament over the weekend to get extra matches. JJ did that last year. 
Kirk Nelson

leg turk

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on January 25, 2018, 11:18:00 PM
Quote from: npope on January 25, 2018, 05:18:12 AM

He may be entering an open tournament over the weekend to get extra matches. JJ did that last year. 

That would make sense, and we probably don't need him for the Badgers to get the W, should win pretty easily.

wrastle63

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on January 26, 2018, 08:15:39 AM
Quote from: sudden_victory on January 25, 2018, 10:01:27 PM

Does anyone else find this infuriating? I do.

It seems like the vast majority of people on here just want good for the program. I don't think I'm alone in believing there are people better equipped to overcome the inherent disadvantages of coaching for Wisconsin, and I'd like those people to get a shot to coach the team.

Frankly, I don't hear anyone saying "Barry Davis is an excellent coach, and you haters are wrong." In fact, for the people "supporting" Davis, I basically hear just two things:

1) We want good for the program, so while he's in power, we're going to hope he has success because it means the program is having success. (It's like the people hoping bad things happen to the country, so they can do an "I told you so," on Trump. If you're an American, root for America! If you want good for the UW program, root for the Badgers!)

2) We've seen sports organizations across the sports spectrum fire a coach because they wanted him out, but without a good option to replace him. Then, when you're sick of so-so, you end up horrible. There are tons of headwinds, coaching at UW. It takes someone exceptional to overcome them, and without being exceptional, your best-case scenario is where we are now.

Still, despite wanting Barry Davis replaced, when I see this garbage, I don't feel like there's any way not to defend him.

Of course they will overachieve. They might not overachieve as often as you'd hope, but they will obviously overachieve. For instance, here's the list of Division 1 college programs that qualified more wrestlers than Wisconsin for the most prestigious wrestling tournament in the country, last year:

Oklahoma State
North Carolina State

If your first instinct is to "yeah, but" that fact, ... don't. It's a fact. Inarguable. There are other facts as well. Ones that might show the program in a less favorable light, and they won't be wrong either. But to say a program will "never overachieve with its current coach," it happened less than a year ago. That's patently false.

And frankly, infuriating.
+100 It is highly unlikely that tonight ends in a 5-5 split. Something really bad would have to happen for that to be the case.

Barou

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on January 26, 2018, 08:15:39 AM
Quote from: sudden_victory on January 25, 2018, 10:01:27 PM

Does anyone else find this infuriating? I do.

It seems like the vast majority of people on here just want good for the program. I don't think I'm alone in believing there are people better equipped to overcome the inherent disadvantages of coaching for Wisconsin, and I'd like those people to get a shot to coach the team.

Frankly, I don't hear anyone saying "Barry Davis is an excellent coach, and you haters are wrong." In fact, for the people "supporting" Davis, I basically hear just two things:

1) We want good for the program, so while he's in power, we're going to hope he has success because it means the program is having success. (It's like the people hoping bad things happen to the country, so they can do an "I told you so," on Trump. If you're an American, root for America! If you want good for the UW program, root for the Badgers!)

2) We've seen sports organizations across the sports spectrum fire a coach because they wanted him out, but without a good option to replace him. Then, when you're sick of so-so, you end up horrible. There are tons of headwinds, coaching at UW. It takes someone exceptional to overcome them, and without being exceptional, your best-case scenario is where we are now.

Still, despite wanting Barry Davis replaced, when I see this garbage, I don't feel like there's any way not to defend him.

Of course they will overachieve. They might not overachieve as often as you'd hope, but they will obviously overachieve. For instance, here's the list of Division 1 college programs that qualified more wrestlers than Wisconsin for the most prestigious wrestling tournament in the country, last year:

Oklahoma State
North Carolina State

If your first instinct is to "yeah, but" that fact, ... don't. It's a fact. Inarguable. There are other facts as well. Ones that might show the program in a less favorable light, and they won't be wrong either. But to say a program will "never overachieve with its current coach," it happened less than a year ago. That's patently false.

And frankly, infuriating.

Why should it be "infuriating" when someone predicts a score.  Personally, I think UW beats Indiana by more than a point but to think it will be a close match isn't necessarily far fetched.  In case you have noticed, UW isn't a great team.  Good kids and hard workers? Probably.  They are  probabl the 11th best team in the Big 10.  Expecting a close match with the worst team in the Big 10 isn't a stretch.

Is the barometer to team success the amount of national qualifiers?

I hope for the best for the athletes. 

Where I disagree with you is that I think the UW head coaching job is a top job which can draw great candidates.  No, it's not PSU, or Iowa, or OK St, but it pays well and it's a great school.  I think the right coach can produce results similar to Va Tech, Mizzou, NC State, Lehigh, etc.  As far as operating a program, we should strive to be like Wyoming and South Dakota State before the bigger more successful programs.

I guess maybe some people get "infuriated" with the same results every year.
JHI Mafia

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

http://uwbadgers.com/news/2018/1/24/wrestling-five-things-to-know-indiana.aspx

Johnny Jimenez is listed as probable in this January 24 article...

MADISON, Wis.- After being on the road for competition for more than a month, No. 21 Wisconsin wrestling (5-2 overall, 2-2 Big Ten) is finally back in town to begin a stretch where four of the remaining five duals will be in Madison.

The Indiana Hoosiers (6-5, 0-4) will make a stop in for a conference dual on Friday at 7 p.m. inside the UW Field House with tickets available at the doors. Flowrestling will have a live stream and constant updates will be available on the official twitter handle @Badgerwrestling.

1. PREVIOUSLY ON THE MAT: This past weekend, the Badgers were in action on the road for two conference duals in Michigan. In its first outing, UW met the No. 8 Michigan Wolverines in Ann Arbor and despite a couple of big individual performances from Andrew Crone and Hunter Ritter, the squad fell short 29-10. The Badgers' luck turned around against the Spartans just two days later in East Lansing, taking eight of 10 matches from Michigan State in a 28-7 victory.

2. BACK IN THE RANKS:  Andrew Crone (18-7, 4-0 Big Ten) is back in the national ranks, sitting at 20th based on Intermat's rankings at 157 pounds after two victories this past weekend. His highlight win was a 3-0 decision over Michigan's fifth-ranked Alec Pantaleo that was a match that went down to the wire. He also defeated Michigan State's Jake Tucker in a 7-0 decision to cap off a 2-0 conference weekend.

3. BATTLE AT 141: The Hoosiers come in with two ranked wrestlers in the most recent rankings. One of IU's best wrestlers is Cole Weaver, who at 141 pounds is ranked 20th in the country with a 20-6, 8-3 dual record. He is projected to face Eli Stickley, who has compiled a 15-5 record thus far and has four ranked wins.

4. WAR FOR 174: The other key matchup in Friday's dual involves Ryan Christensen and Indiana's other ranked wrestler, 19th-ranked Devin Skatzka at 174 pounds. Christensen stands at 16-9 on the year with a 2-2 slate in Big Ten duals. Skatzka on the other hand is has a 17-7 record, also 2-2 in conference matches.

5. SCOUTING THE HOOSIERS: Indiana started out the season on a tear, going 6-1 in its first seven duals. But like the Badgers, it has faced some tough competition in the always-difficult Big Ten, going against the likes No. 1 Penn State, No. 2 Ohio State, and No. 8 Michigan. Including their most recent loss against the Michigan State Spartans, the Hoosiers have dropped four-straight duals and will have a chip on their shoulder when they enter the UW Field House on Friday.

Wisconsin Probables

125-Johnny Jimenez (Sr./ 1-5)
133-Jens Lantz (RS-Jr./ 14-9)
141-Eli Stickley (RS-So./ 15-5)
149-Cole Martin (RS-So./ 12-7)
157-#20 Andrew Crone (RS-Sr./ 18-7)
165-#5 Evan Wick (RS-Fr./ 17-2)
174-Ryan Christensen (RS-Jr./ 16-9)
184-#9 Ricky Robertson (RS-Sr./ 19-4)
197-Hunter Ritter (RS-So./ 17-7)
285-Ben Stone (RS-So./ 5-11)

INDIANA PROBABLES

Weight // Name // Elig. // W-L (Duals) // Home Town/High School (Ranking: Flo)

125 - Elijah Oliver // Jr. // 15-6 (8-2) // Washington, Ill./Washington Community
133 - Garrett Pepple // r-So. // 11-12 (5-6) // Kendalville, Ind./East Noble
141 - #16 Cole Weaver // r-Jr. // 20-6 (8-3) // Hudson, Mich./Hudson
149 - Alejandro Raya // Fr. // 6-3 (0-0) // Yucaipa, Calif./Yucaipa
157 - Austin Holmes // r-Fr. // 9-10 (0-3) // Fishers, Ind./Hamilton Southeastern
165 - Dillon Hoey // Fr. // 8-10 (0-1) // Chicago, Ill./Mount Carmel
174 - #19 Devin Skatzka // r-So. // 17-7 (6-2) // Richmond, Mich./Richmond
184 - Norman Conley // r-So. // 11-12 (5-6) // St. Louis, Mo./Chaminade College Prepatory School
197 - Jake Kleimola // r-Fr. // 0-6 (0-2) // Schererville, Ind./Lake Central
197 - Spencer Irick // r-Fr. // 2-9 (0-3) // Fishers, Ind./Hamilton Southeastern
285 - Fletcher Miller // r-Jr. // 12-7 (4-4) // Kokomo, Ind./Kokomo
Print Friendly Version
Kirk Nelson