Pheasant burgers

Started by ramjet, January 19, 2018, 08:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Well last few weeks of great hunting yielded some pheasant. Last year we made several mini pot pies. This year I will try to ground it up mix with a specific spices and pork sausage to make burger.

Then form patties In a small cake ring perforate the  burger cover with chipotle hot sauce and brown sugar and cover with Makers Mark bourbon then smoke at 250 until close to done and melt 10 year old cheddar over it toast some Sour Dough buns lettuce tomatoes onions and roasted yellow bell peppers along your favorite condiments.

bigG

Pheasant and squirrel are my two favorite games. Never tried to burger the birds, though.

I'm with you on the pot pies, though. Love that stuff.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Houndhead

Quote from: bigG on January 22, 2018, 06:34:47 AM
Pheasant and squirrel are my two favorite games. Never tried to burger the birds, though.

I'm with you on the pot pies, though. Love that stuff.

I like pheasant, but grouse is the most delicious game bird in my opinion. Haven't had squirrel in years.

bigG

Grouse is good. I haven't hunted those little quickies in years. Fun hunting, though. The little you get off of them is great. Forgot all about grouse. They sure are fast. I bet I eat 30 squirrels a year. I've loved pheasant since childhood.

How'd dem burgers turn out, Ram?

ramjet

All I do all fall is chase grouse. Well Timber doodles when the flight is down. I have an outstanding Redsetter he holds me tight but they seem to get faster every year....but after shooting at grouse pheasant seem like helicopters .

bigG

Nice pooch. Grouse are just so fun because , when they're aplenty, you get a lot of shootin' and good times follow. I want Sandhills legal to shoot.

ramjet

They are everywhere else.  Yes Sky Walker is an incredible pointer with fantastic disposition. An incredible nose grouse is absolutely delicious when cooked in cast iron with a olive oil rub and good spices high heat just enough sear to retain the moisture but not dry it out. I hunt with a very light weight 28ga the caliber very effective with 1oz loads but still 30% on shooting grouse even over the dog.  ;D

bigG

Sheesh, I'd be happy with 30%. How'd the burgers turn out?

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on January 22, 2018, 07:43:16 PM
Sheesh, I'd be happy with 30%. How'd the burgers turn out?

Made smoked turkey and basil pesto pizza with bacon mozzarella and tomatoes and artichoke hearts cooked it up on the Big Green Egg. Hopefully I will grinding pheasant up this weekend.

bigG

Even though it's hard to eat the legs (my favorite part) on a wild turkey. I find , if I breast them out, I can make each side of the breast like a roast. LOVE turkey. Need a pressure cooker for those legs, though. Or, sous vide them. :) JK. I don't get the love for sous vide.

ramjet

Take that turkey breast cut it into 1" cubes then put it in pickle juice and buttermilk. Then dredge the cubes in a flour seasoning mix or breadcrumb seasoning mix then drop in canola oil for absolutely delicious little turkey tenders  ;D ;D :D

bigG

Love the sound of it. Last time I made the breasts like roasts. My kids, who aren't big thanksgiving turkey fans, tore it up.

ramjet

yea buttermilk is a staple for marine ing poultry the pickle juice adds the salt and brine one needs to hold moisture.... I actually use jalopeano pickle juice for the extra kick about a 1:5 ratio pickle juice to buttermilk mix.

bigG

Buttermilk is the magician of the poultry world. My best fried chicken recipe dictates leaving the chicken in buttermilk for four to five days. Wish I could make/eat more often. I always used to wonder why my grandma made a batch of fried chicken every Sunday. Now I know: to season her cast iron.

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on January 28, 2018, 09:19:39 PM
Buttermilk is the magician of the poultry world. My best fried chicken recipe dictates leaving the chicken in buttermilk for four to five days. Wish I could make/eat more often. I always used to wonder why my grandma made a batch of fried chicken every Sunday. Now I know: to season her cast iron.

Amen