Should the reduction in Wisconsin's HS wrestling participation be a concern

Started by TomM, January 17, 2018, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madeyson

One last rant - the school district my wrestlers goes to has 4 legitimate 106 pound wrestlers - my guess is that all four could make a varsity lineup in 80% of the schools in Wisconsin...so it does seem that there are really talented 106 pound wrestlers in the state.

padre

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 18, 2018, 03:28:48 PM
105?   I guess it is just our experience but we are a D1 school and I cannot remember the last time we had a full time 106lber much less a varsity caliber kid.  To me there are so few kids that fit this weight class and when we get to February it will be filled with guys that are cutting a ton of weight.

We have filled this class always.  Next year three 106s....maybe 4.  Our small school conference is extremely loaded with exceptional 106 pounders.  I would hate for the lowest class to move up any more than it is.

padre

Quote from: TomM on January 18, 2018, 04:46:34 PM
The WWF has over 200 clubs and rising enrollment. For the numbers of Wisconsin population, Wisconsin has the highest percent of membership of the nation I believe.

While I'm not sure I do feel youth numbers are up....but how do we bridge the gap is the problem.  There are so many reasons kids don't stick with it....hard  to coach nowadays with keeping 4th graders to get to be sophomores in the sport.

padre

Quote from: Queene Anne on January 18, 2018, 08:04:46 PM
IF you are advocating reducing the lower weights you are nuts. Of course since your kid is not a lower weight that's expected. And yes you are enjoying JHI in MN because the stud starter is out. Hence your move to that program was one of an opportunist to toss your kid in for varsity reps that you would not have seen here in the Motherland. Would you have gone to Simley otherwise? What other programs did you look at?

Quote from: getyourpoints on January 17, 2018, 05:17:21 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on January 17, 2018, 11:54:13 AM
Quote from: A_little_birdy on January 17, 2018, 11:25:53 AM
They brought up reducing the number of weight classes to make it more competitive.  Do you think that would raise numbers?  I think some kids quit because they don't have a spot in the lineup, but it is sad to see all the holes in most lineups around the state.   :( :( :( 

I hate to say it but maybe switching the wrestling season to a fall/spring sport.  Idk. It's tough competing with basketball.

More kids quit because they are thrown into the varsity lineup to early because there is a spot and others don't appreciate being on varsity because they did not have to earn it.

I think kids learn quite fast to not treasure or appreciate what is not earned.  Look at youth wrestling and all the trophies and medals.  The theory that we keep giving kids things and they will want it more and stick with it is just silly.  If a kid earns one medal or trophy over a season he is going to treasure that.  If he has an award from every single tournament then none of them really mean much.  Varsity wrestling is like giving an award to everyone.

I honestly believe wrestling would have larger numbers if they had 10 varsity weight classes and then 10 different JV weight classes that skewed lighter since they should generally be younger kids.  Competitions at both levels would be so much better.

Truth is that probably 90% duals have become boring and a waste of everyone's time.  Everyone knows who is going to win the dual and everyone knows who is going to win the match.

Wrestling needs excitement and competitiveness at both varsity and JV levels  

If that was true MN would be dropping rapidly with JHI??
Better coaches is and always will be the answer

Actually we are still waiting for how they are going to save Wisconsin wrestling with all the programs their group was developing....apparently transferring out is an option?  I called BS immediately and was proven right.

Queene Anne

Quote from: padre on January 18, 2018, 09:23:50 PM
Actually we are still waiting for how they are going to save Wisconsin wrestling with all the programs their group was developing....apparently transferring out is an option?  I called BS immediately and was proven right.

Yeah the guys with the answers and push for JHI are the guys who bolt and preach. Don't get me wrong I see the merits of JHI for small communities but these guys bolted for opportunity plain and simple. From what I have see at Bistate and other competitions with MN teams the 7/8 is capitalized on by a few above average kids that are the exception but most kids are getting tossed in the mix are average at best. I think that does more to hurt than help in more cases than not.

Queene Anne

Quote from: getyourpoints on January 18, 2018, 09:41:12 PM
Padre you are simply irrelevant.

Braggadocious claims and chest thumping on how you were going to save WI Wrestling is what has been irrelevant. Throwing $$$ around seemed to be more self serving than sport serving.

padre

Quote from: padre on January 18, 2018, 09:23:50 PM
Quote from: Queene Anne on January 18, 2018, 08:04:46 PM
IF you are advocating reducing the lower weights you are nuts. Of course since your kid is not a lower weight that's expected. And yes you are enjoying JHI in MN because the stud starter is out. Hence your move to that program was one of an opportunist to toss your kid in for varsity reps that you would not have seen here in the Motherland. Would you have gone to Simley otherwise? What other programs did you look at?

Quote from: getyourpoints on January 17, 2018, 05:17:21 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on January 17, 2018, 11:54:13 AM
Quote from: A_little_birdy on January 17, 2018, 11:25:53 AM
They brought up reducing the number of weight classes to make it more competitive.  Do you think that would raise numbers?  I think some kids quit because they don't have a spot in the lineup, but it is sad to see all the holes in most lineups around the state.   :( :( :( 

I hate to say it but maybe switching the wrestling season to a fall/spring sport.  Idk. It's tough competing with basketball.

More kids quit because they are thrown into the varsity lineup to early because there is a spot and others don't appreciate being on varsity because they did not have to earn it.

I think kids learn quite fast to not treasure or appreciate what is not earned.  Look at youth wrestling and all the trophies and medals.  The theory that we keep giving kids things and they will want it more and stick with it is just silly.  If a kid earns one medal or trophy over a season he is going to treasure that.  If he has an award from every single tournament then none of them really mean much.  Varsity wrestling is like giving an award to everyone.

I honestly believe wrestling would have larger numbers if they had 10 varsity weight classes and then 10 different JV weight classes that skewed lighter since they should generally be younger kids.  Competitions at both levels would be so much better.

Truth is that probably 90% duals have become boring and a waste of everyone's time.  Everyone knows who is going to win the dual and everyone knows who is going to win the match.

Wrestling needs excitement and competitiveness at both varsity and JV levels  

If that was true MN would be dropping rapidly with JHI??
Better coaches is and always will be the answer

But last year you said I should run the whole state junior high?  Embarrassed? I would be.  Missed?  No.

padre

Quote from: Queene Anne on January 18, 2018, 10:01:11 PM

Braggadocious claims and chest thumping on how you were going to save WI Wrestling is what has been irrelevant. Throwing $$$ around seemed to be more self serving than sport serving.

Unfortunately that was what it was the whole time.  Those in the know knew this is probably how it would end up or an issue for whatever school had to house the egos.  Luckily I dont think many or any drank the kool-aid.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)