End of an Era

Started by bulldog, January 15, 2018, 08:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog

Saw this posted on Facebook this morning:

"The lights went off for last time on Vesper youth wrestling program for lack of kids. On the wall are state brackets of state champions from Wis.Rapids, Stratford, and Pittsville who all got their start in this small rural gym. This is where i started and grateful my sons and cousins were able to experience it. Thanks for 48 years Bill to our area youth!"

Posted by Brad Kremer in reference to Bill Winch

I wish I could post the image Brad posted with the post. At Vesper Elementary School there is a wall with 19 WIAA State Championship brackets of kids that trace their wrestling start back to Vesper Elementary School. Vesper is a town with a population of 554 and I believe many of the best central Wisconsin wrestler's names are on those brackets. I know whenever we ran into a Vesper kid in youth wrestling it was going to be a tough match. Sad to see a program like this with a great history ending. Bill Winch did a great job...the program will be missed

imnofish

48 years!  Wow!  What amazing dedication and productivity!  Hats off to Coach Winch!
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

NWIS

When programs like this fold what chance does the rest of NW Wisconsin have? Very sad indeed.

Ghetto

Wrestling needs this kind of wake up call. We have to encourage our kids to give back into the sport, and recruit from babies on up to the kids they share a classroom with. Part of the greatness is the individualism of the sport and depending on yourself but that mindset won't work to grow wrestling.

Pick up the ball and walk with it. Run later.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigG

Also gives us some perspective to think of the greats that little room produced.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bulldog

I remember Coach Benitz (Lewie) said to me one time..."Get the kids on the mat. Don't worry about teaching them moves, we can worry about that later on. Don't worry about competition. That will come. Let them have fun. If we keep them on the mat in grade school we will keep them on the mat in high school."  He also said something along the line of "Find that guy. The teacher, parent, whoever that loves the sport. My job is to support them so they can have a successful program"

At least that is what I think he said to me. Maybe over the years it sounds a lot better in my head. HA

ramjet

Sad day like Ghetto said I hope this is a wake up call to everyone.

bigG

Sure is depressing when the catalyst for the best team in our state's history goes under. I'm feelin' it where I live, too. Our numbers are hurting all around. My camper is isn't far from Vesper and those little bergs. Every wrestling person I run into is worried like me.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

littleguy301

Quote from: BayWrestler07 on January 16, 2018, 12:39:11 AM
http://villageofvesper.com/vesper_wrestling.htm

boy that was a trip down memory lane!

though I figured that rylan lubeck may have had some more info that wasnt in that link. I see just a 2nd place at state at 130.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

I believe numbers are done in several sports. I also believe it is a regional thing to some extent and people turning to other forms of training places to go to.

I certainly hope this isnt the norm but a program like this with its rich history certainly has a person thinking pretty hard about where things are going also.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Houndhead

Wow, I never realized what an impact Vesper had on the Rapids program.

bulldog

Quote from: getyourpoints on January 16, 2018, 10:18:43 AM
This is a bummer to see a historic program close.
So with out creating drama but just real answers why over the past 10 years are MN numbers on the slow steady incline while WI are on a swift decline? The states are similar in size and culture, both only have 1 D1 program
School Size?
Small towns are dwindling?
To many sports? I see Appleton North has a fishing team now.
Lack of success college and down?
WIAA rules?
As the most winningest coach (as of resent) said WI has going soft.

Interesting question...and I would guess MN has more smaller schools...but that is just my guess. Maybe it is due to the lack of a super bowl championship football team???

I was just at SPASH for the duals and I saw they had a mountain bike team. They have their own sports poster hanging in the hall.

padre

Quote from: Houndhead on January 16, 2018, 10:56:24 AM
Wow, I never realized what an impact Vesper had on the Rapids program.

I always heard there was a "guy" in Vesper but finally get to put a name and face to it. Hope someone nominate him for Hall of Fame.

Quack

Quote from: bulldog on January 16, 2018, 11:48:35 AM
Quote from: getyourpoints on January 16, 2018, 10:18:43 AM
This is a bummer to see a historic program close.
So with out creating drama but just real answers why over the past 10 years are MN numbers on the slow steady incline while WI are on a swift decline? The states are similar in size and culture, both only have 1 D1 program
School Size?
Small towns are dwindling?
To many sports? I see Appleton North has a fishing team now.
Lack of success college and down?
WIAA rules?
As the most winningest coach (as of resent) said WI has going soft.

Interesting question...and I would guess MN has more smaller schools...but that is just my guess. Maybe it is due to the lack of a super bowl championship football team???

I was just at SPASH for the duals and I saw they had a mountain bike team. They have their own sports poster hanging in the hall.

My son used to race against them in mountain biking. It is more of a club sport, and lucky for us helps keep our kids in shape and is not during our season. There are quite a few teams with more growing every year. A couple schools off the top of my head that have them are Sun Prairie, Cambridge, Lake Mills, Westosha, Washington county has a combined team, those are to name a few. It is during football, and you don't see many wrestlers competing .
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock