Girls Wrestling Division In Wisconsin Looking More Likely (WPR.org)

Started by TomM, January 16, 2018, 12:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Girls Wrestling Division In Wisconsin Looking More Likely

Check it out...
Program aired on 'Central Time' (WPR.org) in the afternoon Monday, January 15, 2018

Mr. Dow and Ms. Flores are great represntatives of our sport and advocates for girls wrestling in Wisconsin. Thank you WPR and the "Central Time" program!

"The number of high school girls taking part in wrestling is on the rise.  A separate girls wrestling division may soon become a reality, with more coaches and administrators pushing for the idea.  We're joined by a high school senior to talk about what drew her to the sport and competing with the boys. We also talk with an athletic director about what it will take to create a new division for girls...."

Listen and read more here
https://www.wpr.org/girls-wrestling-division-wisconsin-looking-more-likely

Photo: Jim Bryant/AP via WPR.org
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Coach Q

We participated in a team tournament over Christmas in Tennessee. Tied in with the boys tournament was a seperate girls division. Definitely on the rise. The girls Division had 87 girls from 23 different high schools participating. Pretty good quality of athletes as well.

TomM

Quote from: Coach Q on January 16, 2018, 01:11:44 PM
We participated in a team tournament over Christmas in Tennessee. Tied in with the boys tournament was a seperate girls division. Definitely on the rise. The girls Division had 87 girls from 23 different high schools participating. Pretty good quality of athletes as well.

GREAT...
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigoil

KSA duals had a separate girls division with 7 Florida schools. I'm not sure the number of wrestlers but one squad was full, another was close as they combined with a neighboring school.

Dr. Phillips HS won the tournament, going 5-0 and outscoring their opponents 296-6.

Handles II

A Middle School pilot program should be started prior to it opening up at the high school level. This would allow for teams to build a base of wrestlers, and wrestlers to learn the basics. It only makes sense.
Or better yet, let girls start with a JHI 7-12 program and morph boys wrestling into that model. 

Handles II

Focusing on other things than the forum. I got pretty board with it.
I actually saw the article elsewhere and contacted the WWCA President and President Elect about it. Figured I'd see if anyone else thought starting with MS or JHI would be a smart move vs. just starting at HS and would also relay that to the WWCA.

A_little_birdy

Awesome idea!  How would one go about starting a girls wrestling program in the school?