Started by TomM, January 17, 2018, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

A_little_birdy

They brought up reducing the number of weight classes to make it more competitive.  Do you think that would raise numbers?  I think some kids quit because they don't have a spot in the lineup, but it is sad to see all the holes in most lineups around the state.   :( :( :( 

I hate to say it but maybe switching the wrestling season to a fall/spring sport.  Idk. It's tough competing with basketball.

O Harris

Start in Feb. and end the season in May? No worries about Deer hunting, Thanksgiving, or Christmas.

DocWrestling

Quote from: A_little_birdy on January 17, 2018, 11:25:53 AM
They brought up reducing the number of weight classes to make it more competitive.  Do you think that would raise numbers?  I think some kids quit because they don't have a spot in the lineup, but it is sad to see all the holes in most lineups around the state.   :( :( :( 

I hate to say it but maybe switching the wrestling season to a fall/spring sport.  Idk. It's tough competing with basketball.

More kids quit because they are thrown into the varsity lineup to early because there is a spot and others don't appreciate being on varsity because they did not have to earn it.

I think kids learn quite fast to not treasure or appreciate what is not earned.  Look at youth wrestling and all the trophies and medals.  The theory that we keep giving kids things and they will want it more and stick with it is just silly.  If a kid earns one medal or trophy over a season he is going to treasure that.  If he has an award from every single tournament then none of them really mean much.  Varsity wrestling is like giving an award to everyone.

I honestly believe wrestling would have larger numbers if they had 10 varsity weight classes and then 10 different JV weight classes that skewed lighter since they should generally be younger kids.  Competitions at both levels would be so much better.

Truth is that probably 90% duals have become boring and a waste of everyone's time.  Everyone knows who is going to win the dual and everyone knows who is going to win the match.

Wrestling needs excitement and competitiveness at both varsity and JV levels  
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

DocWrestling

Quote from: O Harris on January 17, 2018, 11:52:34 AM
Start in Feb. and end the season in May? No worries about Deer hunting, Thanksgiving, or Christmas.

If you did that you would be competing against both winter sports and spring sports and that would not make sense.  I don't see moving the season as helping.  Spring might help but not sure

wrastle63

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 17, 2018, 11:54:13 AM

More kids quit because they are thrown into the varsity lineup to early because there is a spot and others don't appreciate being on varsity because they did not have to earn it.

I think kids learn quite fast to not treasure or appreciate what is not earned.  Look at youth wrestling and all the trophies and medals.  The theory that we keep giving kids things and they will want it more and stick with it is just silly.  If a kid earns one medal or trophy over a season he is going to treasure that.  If he has an award from every single tournament then none of them really mean much.  Varsity wrestling is like giving an award to everyone.

I honestly believe wrestling would have larger numbers if they had 10 varsity weight classes and then 10 different JV weight classes that skewed lighter since they should generally be younger kids.  Competitions at both levels would be so much better.

Truth is that probably 90% duals have become boring and a waste of everyone's time.  Everyone knows who is going to win the dual and everyone knows who is going to win the match.

Agreed. Stop giving every kid a trophy/medal. Make it something that they have to work for or earn. I would like to see 12 weight classes and then as you said more of an emphasis on a JV season/competitions. This would give them matchups as well.

MNbadger

Where do you see them "giving everyone a medal"?  This is repeated on here a great deal.  I don't see it.  We do what most other sports do in this regard.
Also, as far as not wanting to compete with the basketball season.... how many competitive wrestlers are playing basketball?   None in my school of 2400.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

DocWrestling

Neenah was the first youth tournament I have been to in a long time that did not give an award to everyone.  They gave out to top 3.

Otherwise everyone gets an award.  Everyone that shows up gets an award.

I don't know of any other sport that does that.

It is always amazing at the Marty Loy JV tourney how many freshman come up and are disappointed and surprised that only the JV champion (8-man bracket) gets a medal.  Then you have the kids that win can't believe it is not some huge custom trophy or medal.

A_little_birdy

I'm not sure if any school has competitive wrestlers that play basketball, its the kids that might choose wrestling if basketball season wasn't going on.  

ramjet

This is a broad issue with many root causes there is no one thing fixes all solution.

wrastle63

Quote from: MNbadger on January 17, 2018, 12:24:16 PM
Where do you see them "giving everyone a medal"?  This is repeated on here a great deal.  I don't see it.  We do what most other sports do in this regard.
Also, as far as not wanting to compete with the basketball season.... how many competitive wrestlers are playing basketball?   None in my school of 2400.
Basically inn every youth tournament there is in the entire state minus probably a handful. You got pinned 3 times...here is a trophy.

GradeTough

I would agree that at a majority of local tournaments everyone receives something. They do this at the youngth level to encourage everyone to continue and come back to their tourney the next year. I am from the ol' school so I don't agree but I understand why they are doing it. I rarely participate in the rewards ceremony...I let my wife do her picture thing. I could care less about a trophy or medal rather I concentrate on the performance.

MNbadger

Soccer does it, tennis does it, youth basketball does it, etc. At least around here.
Quote from: DocWrestling on January 17, 2018, 12:46:44 PM
Neenah was the first youth tournament I have been to in a long time that did not give an award to everyone.  They gave out to top 3.

Otherwise everyone gets an award.  Everyone that shows up gets an award.

I don't know of any other sport that does that.

It is always amazing at the Marty Loy JV tourney how many freshman come up and are disappointed and surprised that only the JV champion (8-man bracket) gets a medal.  Then you have the kids that win can't believe it is not some huge custom trophy or medal.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

1Iota

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 17, 2018, 11:54:13 AM

I have done a 180 on this in the last 2 years.  I used to advocate for keeping the current number of weight classes, but I now have come to the conclusion that this is not in the best interest of the sport.  I would also move to 10 weight classes.  Perhaps starting at 108-118-128-138-148-158-168-178-190- Hwt.  

I believe if more effort was then put into the JV tournaments & even attempt to have JV duals, it would create a more worthwhile experience for the Jv wrestlers.  

One issue that we are not going to be able to change is the trickle down effect of all of the elite youth clubs in today's sport.  In the 1970s & 80s it was usual for a kid to take up the sport as a Freshman & have a lot of success within a few years.  In today's world if you are taking up the sport for the first time as a frosh you so far behind the kids who have been wrestling for years, especially the kids that have been wrestling most of the year with elite clubs.  This gap in talent I think causes a lot of kids new to our sport to give up with the realization they won't catch up in 3 years.  

bigoil

Boys basketball, Girls Basketball are both down about 14%, same as Wrestling looking at the 2009-10 data compared to 2016-17 data in WI.